Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times

Advertisements

America's 50 Best Cities: The Best Places to Live - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
I guess that Business Week sent you this because a correction was made to the article. This first came out in September. Of course, the 5 NC cities that made the list - Charlotte, Durham, W-S, and Greensboro also appear - are always happy to tout the quality of life along with #1 Raleigh

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Thumbs up We've done it again: Raleigh #1 Place to Live!

Looks like the hits keep coming in 2012. I know, I know. These list are bunk, but it is interesting how Raleigh keeps getting mentioned in them.

.biz - Businessweek names Raleigh best place to live; Durham ranks 37th | newsobserver.com blogs (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/business-week-names-raleigh-best-place-to-live-durham-ranks-37th - broken link)

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
If I were personally making the list, I'd probably rank Durham over Greensboro. Although Greensboro does have Steak and Shake...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
The only good thing about that is that it's good for real estate prices. It will help keep them steady or increase them.

If only there were more employed people who could afford mortgages, THEN the article would be correct.

Here is the original article (with the info about the "pedestrian mall" removed)...

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...-09202011.html

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The only good thing about that is that it's good for real estate prices. It will help keep them steady or increase them.

If only there were more employed people who could afford mortgages, THEN the article would be correct.
Uh, some people just like living around here. Actually many people LOVE living here. It isn't really related to real estate for most people.
Great climate.
Good location.
Good universities.
Excellent medical care availability.

This isn't new stuff.
Places Rated came to the same conclusion in 1993, that The Triangle was very desirable.

It is unfortunate when people judge the area by real estate, when there is so much other good vibe around.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Uh, some people just like living around here. Actually many people LOVE living here. It isn't really related to real estate for most people.
Great climate.
Good location.
Good universities.
Excellent medical care availability.

This isn't new stuff.
Places Rated came to the same conclusion in 1993, that The Triangle was very desirable.

It is unfortunate when people judge the area by real estate, when there is so much other good vibe around.

Uh, did I dispute the fact that some people just like living here? I think not. I like living here.

Did I judge the area by real estate? I think not.

The point of my previous comment is that the result of such articles is that it's good for our (collective) real estate values.

I'm not talking about any facts within the article. I'm talking about the results of such articles. Some will find anything to criticize, I guess.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

109 posts, read 105,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Looks like the hits keep coming in 2012. I know, I know. These list are bunk, but it is interesting how Raleigh keeps getting mentioned in them.

.biz - Businessweek names Raleigh best place to live; Durham ranks 37th | newsobserver.com blogs (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/business-week-names-raleigh-best-place-to-live-durham-ranks-37th - broken link)
Stop it. Just stop it. Don't you realize just how upsetting it is for some people knowing this is a great place to live?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Uh, did I dispute the fact that some people just like living here? I think not. I like living here.

Did I judge the area by real estate? I think not.

The point of my previous comment is that the result of such articles is that it's good for our (collective) real estate values.

I'm not talking about any facts within the article. I'm talking about the results of such articles. Some will find anything to criticize, I guess.
I didn't misquote, "The only good thing about that is that it's good for real estate prices."
Actually, it is also good for civic pride, for attracting business and commerce, i.e., jobs.
Good PR is good PR for commerce.

I stated, "It is unfortunate when people judge the area by real estate, when there is so much other good vibe around."
That applies to many many posts on CD in which relocators mention only real estate, when some of us think there is so much more to life and an enjoyable lifestyle.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I didn't misquote, "The only good thing about that is that it's good for real estate prices."
Actually, it is also good for civic pride, for attracting business and commerce, i.e., jobs.
Good PR is good PR for commerce.

I stated, "It is unfortunate when people judge the area by real estate, when there is so much other good vibe around."
That applies to many many posts on CD in which relocators mention only real estate, when some of us think there is so much more to life and an enjoyable lifestyle.
The ONLY good thing meaning outside of the fact that people will come here in droves thinking it's the Promised Land...and finding out it isn't quite what they expected...which of course, we all know has happened in the past.

But I did not in any way negate the bountiful amenities available in our region.

It was actually a positive comment that you picked apart. I'm just saying, it's GOOD for property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary