Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMP View Post
Why is there a test involved? When I moved to FL back in 1996, all I did was turn in my old state's license. Obviously if I have a driver's license, I have previously taken a test. Have the rules of the road changed that much? And is this test each time you renew your license as well?
Have you seen the way people drive in FL? I am from there, and if anywhere needs more testing it's there! In fact, I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to require the written test once very 10 years.

Believe it or not, as evidenced by this thread and others on this forum regarding driver's licenses, people do forget the rules of the road because many people seem to fail the NC written test when exchanging their out of state licenses . I am not sure why, because that test was super duper easy - but then again, I was a squad leader in Driver's Ed many years ago, so maybe things just got ingrained better for me since I had to teach others.

Either way, if you *really* know what you're doing, the test shouldn't be a big deal. It took me 5 minutes to get 100%. I just glanced through the NC driver's manual to check for any laws that might be different from my home state, and that was it. They actually have cheat sheets right there at the DMV if you need one, too. I wasn't offered one, but I saw other people who asked for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Out of curiosity...

Does anyone know what the process is if you lose your out-of-state license before you switch to a NC license?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 23,583 times
Just to let you know RI is not that easy or have the best reputation for being "friendly"
We have finally seen satalite offices for some tasks, but dealing with these issues - it's still a war story to share

Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM

140 posts, read 621,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannKDavis View Post
Just to let you know RI is not that easy or have the best reputation for being "friendly"
We have finally seen satalite offices for some tasks, but dealing with these issues - it's still a war story to share
I can attest to this, I went to school in RI and met my wife there...4 years I tried 3 times to get my license and the process was soooooooooo long that I gave up.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 33,941 times
It's unlikely that someone here will onwo the answer to this unusual question, but just in case...

I am from Australia. Out licencing procedure is different to yours -- we have alearner's permit for six months to a year, then do a driving test and get a provisional licence, which is held for three years or so before you get a full licence.

I have my provisional licence (I was late starting -- only learnt at the age of 26!) and will soon be moving to NC for grad school. I know that we are supposed to take in our overseas licences to get an NC one, but am a bit worried that the DMV will see 'provisional' and make me take a driving test! Are there any ex-DMV workers here?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Aside from the Jay Tomlin study guide link, we also found this practice test that really helped both myself and my dh with our test;

Quia - Driving Quiz - North Carolina

My experience with Clayton's DMV was pleasant. My dh's license had expired when we went. I can't recall the details of what he needed but it was nothing out of the ordinary. You can call your local DMV and ask (I did that too and again it was a pleasant experience).

Lauren

Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I was wondering the same thing...I did mine within the time frame when I moved here, but I have several neighbors that have out of state plates...I am in a new construction development and they closed on their home well before I did, and I closed nearly 10 months ago...why would they still be driving around with out of state plates? They clearly established residency here, including a tax record on their home... Does the county pick up on this? Tax record on a home, but no tax record on vehicles? What does the county do to violators? I am very curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo456 View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you answer yes to being in NC for longer than the 60 days?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM

76 posts, read 210,907 times
Does anyone know about a motorcycle endorsement transferring from another state? I know I have to take the written test for the regular drivers license, but I can't find a definite answer for the endorsement. It looks like I might have to take the on-cycle riding test again...if I do, I'll have to give up the endorsement, because I don't have a bike right now.

Does anyone know for sure? Anyone been through this one?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM

47 posts, read 247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
There is no substitute for your Social Security Card. If you already have an NC license, they have your SSN on file and all you need is something that proves you're still you. If you don't, you'll need to request a duplicate social security card.

Application for a Social Security Card - Form SS-5-FS

Unless you're in a big rush, I would suggest mailing everything to the SS office so you don't have to wait. The last time I was there (about a month ago), it took roughly two hours before I was seen by anyone (and I got there when they opened, early in the week). You usually will get your card in 7-10 business days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
They have a notary public on site, but it costs $5 more to have them notarize your signature.
Most banks will allow you to use their notary for free if you have an account with them. (Bank of America for certain.) I know it's only $5, but by the end of this summer, that could be a whole gallon of gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMP View Post
Why is there a test involved? When I moved to FL back in 1996, all I did was turn in my old state's license. Obviously if I have a driver's license, I have previously taken a test. Have the rules of the road changed that much? And is this test each time you renew your license as well?
Each state has their road laws a little different. The road signs are different, and some places have laws that the others don't (such as requiring the left lane to be for passing only, or headlights on when wipers are on, etc). It's a good way for them to determine if you are knowledgeable enough about this state's laws to drive here on a regular basis.

Besides, it helps them cover their rear ends so you can't say that you didn't know about a law when you get pulled over for violating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Does anyone know what the process is if you lose your out-of-state license before you switch to a NC license?
From the NCDOT website:

"To receive an original driver license in North Carolina, you must bring at least two acceptable forms of identification. At least one must reflect your full name, including your middle name. If both forms of identification has only a middle initial, and your birth certificate is not one of the forms of identification you are presenting, you must present certified documentation indicating the same. At least one form of identification must include your date of birth. You must complete and pass the written, sign, and vision tests. If you surrender a valid license from another state, the road test requirement is at the discretion of the Examiner."

In other words, you may use your old license from another state, but you don't have to. As long as you have two forms of ID, you're set. However, if by "lost" you don't mean "misplaced", you may want to contact the DMV (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/hot_topics/LicenseSuspension.html - broken link) to find out whether a suspension in another state carries over.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I was wondering the same thing...I did mine within the time frame when I moved here, but I have several neighbors that have out of state plates...I am in a new construction development and they closed on their home well before I did, and I closed nearly 10 months ago...why would they still be driving around with out of state plates? They clearly established residency here, including a tax record on their home... Does the county pick up on this? Tax record on a home, but no tax record on vehicles? What does the county do to violators? I am very curious.
From personal experience, they didn't even ask me about it when I went in to get my NC license. I did already have my car registered in NC (got that done before they required you to have a NC DL to get plates), so I was not conspicuous on the road. I think it only really becomes an issues if you get stopped by a police officer for a violation or something like that.

I actually have a co-worker who has been here for quite some time (well longer than 10 months) and still both her and her husband are still licensed out of state and cars registered out of state. They are doing this because they have a few tickets on their records from their old state that will make their insurance multiply if they switch to NC. I think they are waiting for those violations to drop off their records before they re-register locally. At least one of them still travels to their old state frequently for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxtayce View Post
From the NCDOT website:

"To receive an original driver license in North Carolina, you must bring at least two acceptable forms of identification. At least one must reflect your full name, including your middle name. If both forms of identification has only a middle initial, and your birth certificate is not one of the forms of identification you are presenting, you must present certified documentation indicating the same. At least one form of identification must include your date of birth. You must complete and pass the written, sign, and vision tests. If you surrender a valid license from another state, the road test requirement is at the discretion of the Examiner."

In other words, you may use your old license from another state, but you don't have to. As long as you have two forms of ID, you're set. However, if by "lost" you don't mean "misplaced", you may want to contact the DMV (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/hot_topics/LicenseSuspension.html - broken link) to find out whether a suspension in another state carries over.
Yeah, I meant lost as in misplacing or your wallet was stolen, etc. I am guessing that if that happens, you would have to take the road test as well? This didn't happen to me, but it was just a scenario I thought of that I didn't see addressed specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary