Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

I have had struggling students or single parents as wait staff before and
gave a "crazy" tip as a way to encourage them & help.

When that happens it has nothing to do with Percentages on my bill & only means that person touched me & I wanted to do a little charity.

Why does all charity have to be impersonal through a United Way fund??

This waiter lost his job because he was bragging to others ,
instead of appreciating the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have had struggling students or single parents as wait staff before and
gave a "crazy" tip as a way to encourage them & help.

When that happens it has nothing to do with Percentages on my bill & only means that person touched me & I wanted to do a little charity.

Why does all charity have to be impersonal through a United Way fund??

I tip well too, especially if we get good service. If the service starts out lousy, we usually kid around with the server and tell them that if the service gets better, we tip better too! You'd be amazed at how that changes the level of service, with smiles!!!

Kinda sad that the server from the AB got fired. Maybe he could have been given a 2nd chance? Or, if he had really thought about it, he wouldn't have let it be known WHERE he worked!

Vicki

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
A little judgemental, there.

I'm sure it all happened so fast and an innocent "you guys are never going to believe who I met tonight..." turned into this.

I personally don't believe there was some sinister plot...just someone who did something foolish without thinking it through.

I've done stupid things in my past, so I won't get on my high horse and say that he didn't appreciate anything.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
I wonder why he was in town?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Word on the street is that he was at the duke/unc game.

Sucks that whoever posted this online lost their job, but as a place that probably serves a fair number of high profile guests, they likely take their guests' privacy seriously.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
He threw at Duke with his old friend and football coach, David Cutcliffe. There is a spy video on YouTube of Peyton throwing at Duke that caused quite a stir this week.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Are your factoring in the 18% that was already included in the total?
Obviously not, but the wording in the article struck me as if the writer was saying the added tip, not full tip, was nearly 50%.

But maybe I missed an important word there too.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Looks like there's a little online backlash going on against Angus Barn for this one. There are at least 6 1-star reviews on Yelp just today that site this as the reason they'll never be going back or are very displeased with management over it. I don't think it's enough to put a dent in their business but it's interesting nonetheless...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Looks like there's a little online backlash going on against Angus Barn for this one. There are at least 6 1-star reviews on Yelp just today that site this as the reason they'll never be going back or are very displeased with management over it. I don't think it's enough to put a dent in their business but it's interesting nonetheless...
That is unfortunate, and somewhat silly of the Yelpers.

Immediate discharge of an employee or employees who were responsible for the posting would be a reasonably expected response of the management of a dining venue which serves many high-profile customers.
Privacy and discretion and adult behavior are becoming evermore rare, it seems.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is unfortunate, and somewhat silly of the Yelpers.

Immediate discharge of an employee or employees who were responsible for the posting would be a reasonably expected response of the management of a dining venue which serves many high-profile customers.
Privacy and discretion and adult behavior are becoming evermore rare, it seems.
Mike has it dead on. What these Yelpers (and other folks who are upset with AG Management) fail to recognize is that this waiter most likely violated company policy with the post - not to mention Peyton Manning's privacy. All for the sake of few more "likes."

Here's my take away from the article - Van Eure/AG and Peyton Manning are class acts. The waiter - although most likely innocent and naive - made a big mistake and did so in a manner that got him a whole mess of attention - albeit a type that he most likely never intended or expected. Moral of the story: Please learn from another's mistake and do not repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary