U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,873,680 times
Reputation: 4457

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you go to Disclaimer

At the Grantor search field, enter Brentwood Estates and Search, and it will pull up recorded docs.

Or:
In the bottom search fields, input the Book as 1441 and the Page as 655, you will open the Protective Covenants for Brentwood Estates.

The second page of the covenants indicates that they would automatically expire in 1991, thereby allowing chickens, unless the neighborhood voted to extend the covenants.

Yup, we can have chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,535 posts, read 4,511,962 times
Reputation: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you go to Disclaimer

At the Grantor search field, enter Brentwood Estates and Search, and it will pull up recorded docs.

Or:
In the bottom search fields, input the Book as 1441 and the Page as 655, you will open the Protective Covenants for Brentwood Estates.

The second page of the covenants indicates that they would automatically expire in 1991, thereby allowing chickens, unless the neighborhood voted to extend the covenants.
Thank you for the link.

I've been searching and found several other threads on Brentwood from prior years. Hot topic!

Lovesbrentwood, sorry to ask so many questions of you but since you live in the neighborhood I value your opinion. Do you know if there are any groups/playgroups/mothers groups for moms of young children? Do kids play outside in the streets regularly? I strongly value a neighborhood where I can know my neighbors. It sounds like I'd have a lot in common with many other residents given my gardening bug...and affinity for keeping chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,873,680 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Thank you for the link.

I've been searching and found several other threads on Brentwood from prior years. Hot topic!

Lovesbrentwood, sorry to ask so many questions of you but since you live in the neighborhood I value your opinion. Do you know if there are any groups/playgroups/mothers groups for moms of young children? Do kids play outside in the streets regularly? I strongly value a neighborhood where I can know my neighbors. It sounds like I'd have a lot in common with many other residents given my gardening bug...and affinity for keeping chickens.
There are many older residents who have been here for years, and their children are now grown. New families, however, are moving in. Send me a direct message, and I'll tell you more about getting the answers you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
 
23 posts, read 37,262 times
Reputation: 38
I enjoy living in Brentwood. This time of year there are so many people out walking on the sidewalks and in the park- teenagers, moms with strollers, older people getting exercise, lots of folks with their dogs. Since we don't have restrictive covenants, I have a vegetable garden and a clothesline and I know of several people with chickens. There are lots of gardeners: our quarterly newsletter has pictures of the yard-of-the-month winners, and the garden club meets monthly for most of the year.

I don't have kids and most of my immediate neighbors' kids are grown, so I don't know about playgroups.

The North Hills farmer's market is a very short drive from my house and it has good variety and a relaxed vibe with live music. It's only open from about April to October, so I go to the big market on Lake Wheeler Rd. the rest of the year. Costco and Trader Joe's are nearby in one direction and Triangle Town Center is not far in the other.

I feel safe in Brentwood. A group of neighbors meets with the police monthly. There are places on Capital Blvd. and New Hope Church Rd. that I wouldn't go after dark, though. And there are some blocks that aren't kept up as nicely as others, but that's not surprising for such a large neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,535 posts, read 4,511,962 times
Reputation: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey View Post

I feel safe in Brentwood. A group of neighbors meets with the police monthly. There are places on Capital Blvd. and New Hope Church Rd. that I wouldn't go after dark, though. And there are some blocks that aren't kept up as nicely as others, but that's not surprising for such a large neighborhood.
Thank you so much for the information. I have found that this is the case everywhere. A friend who lives in Scott's Mill in Apex, which is a very nice neighborhood, once realized that it was pretty stupid to go to that Galaxy Food grocery store on 55 after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,532,300 times
Reputation: 4122
We live next to Brentwood near Capital Blvd. and I'm Neighborhood Watch captain in my community. Don't you worry though, I have no lethal weapons and know how to do my job in the watch group.

Brentwood, as described, does have a bit of edginess especially involving the multi-family rentals on New Hope Church Rd and the Brentwood East and Brentwood West apartments. The public library on Green Road has to employ security guards since some children use it as a hang out instead of a learning center.

Walmart on New Hope Church Road has quite a few weird persons hanging around especially in the wee hours, but I shop there with no abnormal concern.

The greater regulation of rentals via the city Prop law has seemed to help smooth the rough edges of the rentals previously mentioned.

Given all that, Brentwood is a very convenient area and decently safe. I lived in Mini-City 8 years, and that was really bad.

If you want an older home with no HOA in a very convenient area, don't just scratch Brentwood off your list. It can be a great value.

I'd really take a hard look at Brentwood if I weren't so happy with my apartment community and its included amenities such as 24 hour gym, pool, full maintenance, and business center.

Last edited by saturnfan; 04-16-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
11,810 posts, read 27,506,548 times
Reputation: 8123
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey View Post
I enjoy living in Brentwood. This time of year there are so many people out walking on the sidewalks and in the park- teenagers, moms with strollers, older people getting exercise, lots of folks with their dogs. Since we don't have restrictive covenants, I have a vegetable garden and a clothesline and I know of several people with chickens. There are lots of gardeners: our quarterly newsletter has pictures of the yard-of-the-month winners, and the garden club meets monthly for most of the year.

I don't have kids and most of my immediate neighbors' kids are grown, so I don't know about playgroups.

The North Hills farmer's market is a very short drive from my house and it has good variety and a relaxed vibe with live music. It's only open from about April to October, so I go to the big market on Lake Wheeler Rd. the rest of the year. Costco and Trader Joe's are nearby in one direction and Triangle Town Center is not far in the other.

I feel safe in Brentwood. A group of neighbors meets with the police monthly. There are places on Capital Blvd. and New Hope Church Rd. that I wouldn't go after dark, though. And there are some blocks that aren't kept up as nicely as others, but that's not surprising for such a large neighborhood.
Why do the neighbors meet with police "monthly"???

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,535 posts, read 4,511,962 times
Reputation: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Why do the neighbors meet with police "monthly"???

Vicki
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it's to be proactive about the crime in surrounding areas not seeping into the community.

For perspective, I live in NW Houston right now in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in the area. It's beautiful and extremely well cared for. However, because this is Houston there is lots of crime EVERYWHERE and there are break-ins even in this nice neighborhood. We also have a regular patrol man who scouts the neighborhood for bad seeds. One thing this has done is put crime into better perspective for me. It can happen anywhere. And not much in Raleigh is going to compare to this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,532,300 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Why do the neighbors meet with police "monthly"???

Vicki
We had such meetings in Los Angeles years ago. It was called the "Basic Car Plan" and residents got a chance to interact with their local patrol officers to learn crime prevention and discuss issues.

Great to hear this is alive and well in Raleigh.

This is a big plus for Brentwood, not a minus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Sodo Sopa at The Villas above Kenny' s House.
2,492 posts, read 2,221,842 times
Reputation: 3859
This is my test of a neighborhood. Look at the closest shopping district or center and the stores it has. Police sub station , furniture rental,sweepstakes,check cashing places, ever changing nightclubs, seedy gas stations etc... With the exception of the pizza place thats basically what brentwood shopping center has. The main center is going to provide the goods the community around it warrants, Come to your own conclusion. its a bad sign when the main center cannot obtain an anchor store not even a food lion. Im not sure if Dollar general is even still there.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-16-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top