Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM

237 posts, read 757,290 times

Advertisements

Let's assume the officials do have more information than we do and have a back-up plan. That doesn't necessarily mean we need to push to that point. There are more important things than having the best lawn. If folks who are new to the area don't know the rules, then perhaps the management companies running the subdivisions should send out an informational brochure for people to follow. Then if they get repeat offenders, make the consequences higher before they reach the third offense. There is a water shortage all over this country and people need to wake up and pay attention. Do we really want to have officials wait until Jan 20th to advise that there are only a few more days of water left? Everyone, no matter where they live, should have the same regulations governing. Handing out permits to seed new lawns now is irresponsible at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
If they are giving permits, that tells me that our officials do not believe the water shortage is serious enough to warrant not giving out the permits. They have all the facts...we don't. They know how much water is left, what the expected precipitation forecasts are, what the current consumption levels are, what options they can impose if the drought gets worse, backup plans in a worst-case scenario (like pulling water from other sources), etc.... And their data seems to be quite detailed (e.g. the day we'll run out of water if it never rains again, the current consumption rate, the expected consumption rates through the rest of the year, etc...) We need to stop second-guessing them. In my opinion, they seem to be doing a very good job at managing the water.
I for one will stop second or third guessing them when I see them take the drought and its consequences with more priority than maintaining growth. IMHO growth has precedence over everything else in this area. Appears to me water quantity, schools, or environmental issues come in behind maintaining growth.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 AM

237 posts, read 757,290 times
Amen, dansdrive. You hit it right on the head.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,408 times
Hey dansdrive i think i agree with you for the first time lol!

Seriously, they ARE giving permits, I know at least two other homeowners who obtained permits for new lawn/reseeds.

I think giving out these permits is the stupidest thing that Wake County can do considering that:

1 - There are lots and lots of new developments here putting new lawns

2 - The houses that don't fall in the category (1) above tend to reseed their existing lawn at this time of the year.

That means MOST houses can get a permit so that pretty much renders the water restrictions meaningless.

Good thing February is cold so people won't stink as much when we ran out of water for taking showers in January!!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
Dansdrive--I agree that they aren't taking the drought seriously enough. It took them FOREVER to enact stage 1 restrictions. They should have done something much sooner.

It amazes me that everybody (the city and the media) is so surprised that our water usage keeps going up every year. HELLO! When you keep approving new subdivisions/growth, your water usage is going to go up each year.

I live in Bedford and I'm honestly surprised to read of all the violations on Bedfordtown. I've not seen anybody watering when they shoudn't be. Did WRAL publish the list of offenders? I think there might be some brand new homes on the far end of Bedfordtown that I don't drive on. Maybe its builders or new homowners trying to maintain the sod? It costs a lot of money to resod so they may be trying to preserve their investment. Doesn't make it right, but more understandable than somebody who has an established lawn.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,750 times
Default reseed permit

Well since anyone can get a reseed permit and this is the reseeding time of year for the popular fescue....what restrictions!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
It seems like it might be a good time for area turf experts to start speaking out about the benefits of some other grass types like centipede and zoysia. While fescue is hard to beat for its lush green carpet, it simply does not tolerate our hot summer weather and requires copious amounts of water. There are a number of HOAs (mine included) who have threatened to take action against some homeowners that have plugged their yards w/ some of the more heat tolerant grasses and done away w/ the fescue. That's simply not going to help anything.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
It seems like it might be a good time for area turf experts to start speaking out about the benefits of some other grass types like centipede and zoysia. While fescue is hard to beat for its lush green carpet, it simply does not tolerate our hot summer weather and requires copious amounts of water. There are a number of HOAs (mine included) who have threatened to take action against some homeowners that have plugged their yards w/ some of the more heat tolerant grasses and done away w/ the fescue. That's simply not going to help anything.
there's already a very good (and extensive) thread about this:

What Type of lawn grass is most common in the Triangle?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
I am on the phone right now trying to get a 'reseed' watering permit and they are not allowing it. They are saying that it is strictly for new homes where a Certificate of Occupancy is required.

We had an issue about 2 or three years ago with a landscaper putting down a seed mix instead of fescue seed on some repair spots in our yard. We now have bermuda grass all throughout our front yard and it is spreading to our neighbors' yards. We completely killed our grass in the front yard in the spring and reseeded. Of course even before the major drought happened the seeding wasn't working. So we planned on doing it again in the fall. In the meantime, water restrictions went in place and when I just called the city about a permit they said no.

Does anybody actually know somebody who has gotten a permit for residential 'reseeding' that wasn't tied to a brand new home/CO?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
In Cary, which has had the every-other-day restrictions for years, you can get a 3-wk reseed permit easily online, even now. Raleigh, with Falls Lake, apparently has much more issues with the drought than a lot of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary