Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to reseed my yard today and do not plan to ask for a watering permit. I am just going to water on the days I'm allowed to water anyway. I've never watered my reseeded yard every day in the past and I've had no problem with getting the grass to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I am on the phone right now trying to get a 'reseed' watering permit and they are not allowing it. They are saying that it is strictly for new homes where a Certificate of Occupancy is required.

We had an issue about 2 or three years ago with a landscaper putting down a seed mix instead of fescue seed on some repair spots in our yard. We now have bermuda grass all throughout our front yard and it is spreading to our neighbors' yards. We completely killed our grass in the front yard in the spring and reseeded. Of course even before the major drought happened the seeding wasn't working. So we planned on doing it again in the fall. In the meantime, water restrictions went in place and when I just called the city about a permit they said no.

Does anybody actually know somebody who has gotten a permit for residential 'reseeding' that wasn't tied to a brand new home/CO?
That's good news! Sorry about those that want to reseed their lawns but once it starts raining again we can all go back to watering our lawns and washing our cars and YES even taking a shower every other week!!!??

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
Lamishra--we are not reseeding an existing yard, we are seeding from scratch. Grass seed has to stay moist for it to germinate. In an existing lawn, its not as noticeable nor as big of a deal if some seed doesn't grow. In a new lawn, it is crucial. We've seeded an entire lawn from scratch before and have reseeded our existing lawn every year.

Unless we get some rain, that seed will dry out quickly between weekly waterings.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 PM

dansdrive--yeah, that's great news. Can I send you my HOA violation bills in the meantime? lol

If we miss the fall seeding, it will be another year of absolutely no grass in our yard. I'm not talking about brown grass that will perk up when it rains. That's normal. I'm talking about bare dirt.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Can I send you my HOA violation bills in the meantime?

That is ridiculous and selfish IMO. What HOA are you a member of if you don't mind me asking?!?!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Margot's Pond in Wake Forest is the only HOA I heard of that was giving a resident a hard time about brown / bare spots. But I believe it got resolved without any fines. Someone that knows specifically this case can correct me if I mis spoke.

Given the current water situation in the area I would be surprised if any HOA would fne you for not having a lawn or a dead one.

raleighjayne: if its under $10 I maybe able to cover it, had a $20 but I was rather hungry for lunch today!.....lol

Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM

I was kidding! I WAS KIDDING!!!!

Dansdrive--I agree that not too many HOAs will be giving anybody a hard time about it during a drought. We are getting some funny looks though. I mean, we have nothing but dead, weeds in our front yard so it looks pretty bad. I am glad that neither or our neighbors' houses are for sale because our yard would probably scare off any potential buyers.

Oh, the guy at the city did tell me about one lady who bought a brand new house on a golf course somewhere in N Raleigh. She bought in June and got a 'new house' watering permit that lasted 45 days. She wasn't able to get a renewal and was going to get water brought in to water her lawn. Her HOA was giving her a problem about it because she was right on the golf course. Now that was second hand info from the city guy so I don't know that she got fined or anything for sure. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Isn't it funny how drought tolerant the weeds are? I have some huge patches of grass that died this summer. Not a blade of grass to be seen, then right in the middle of it are weeds that look as happy and perky as can be!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 PM

842 posts, read 3,230,176 times
Well I'm sorry, but I think you all are blowing this out of proportion.

Yes, we're in a drought, and we should be conserving water by only watering our lawns when we're allowed to. But if the town thinks it's okay to hand out new-lawn watering permits, then I don't see a problem with it, because I trust their judgment on the water situation over anyone on this message board. And if the town thinks that the water supply can handle the growth, then I trust their judgment on that too, because we've been in a very serious drought and the water supply has held up very well, especially compared to other parts of the state. The water situation is MUCH worse in places like Siler City and Orange county, and those are areas where there isn't much growth.

But from the reactions I see here, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing lynch mobs form whenever anyone sees green grass. It's like all of a sudden, watering your lawn is as bad as murdering puppies!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
I wonder how many of these folks who put so much trust in our supposedly well-informed city leaders to make water decisions are against the current administration in the White House?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary