Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I can send you lots of data on it if you really wanted to know, but think about it this way - the speed limits wouldn't be going up if traffic engineers didn't think it was safe to raise them.

As for speed differentials, the 40 mph minimum speed was originally implemented to keep traffic speed differentials from being too extreme and thus dangerous. Speed variation is actually one of the biggest factors in highway crashes, since on the highway it is usually single-direction traffic on a relatively closed path.

Speed variation is also why many countries have graduated speed limits by lane, as the speed difference can be dangerous but not everyone wants to drive as fast as the upper limit allows. When speed limits were originally mandated to 55 (from 70 or unlimited before), besides the benefit of gas savings, we got a more uniform flow of traffic, which is why fatalities decreased. Now states are looking at raising minimum speed limits to make highways safer by closing the 40-70 gap. That's a little too off topic for this thread though.

In general, I don't think people understand traffic or speed very well at all, and thus are afraid of it, like those who were afraid of lightening before they really understood it.

Good explanation.

One point we might want to add, reaction time.

At faster speeds, drivers have less time to respond to an issue before things go bad. Not everyone has superb reactions and some need more time to recognize a problem and take action than others.

Forcing higher speeds may well turn these drivers into hazards where they could be fine at speeds commensurate with their abilities.

Since there are few public transit alternatives, drivers are forced into situations beyond their abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I can send you lots of data on it if you really wanted to know, but think about it this way - the speed limits wouldn't be going up if traffic engineers didn't think it was safe to raise them.

As for speed differentials, the 40 mph minimum speed was originally implemented to keep traffic speed differentials from being too extreme and thus dangerous. Speed variation is actually one of the biggest factors in highway crashes, since on the highway it is usually single-direction traffic on a relatively closed path.

Speed variation is also why many countries have graduated speed limits by lane, as the speed difference can be dangerous but not everyone wants to drive as fast as the upper limit allows. When speed limits were originally mandated to 55 (from 70 or unlimited before), besides the benefit of gas savings, we got a more uniform flow of traffic, which is why fatalities decreased. Now states are looking at raising minimum speed limits to make highways safer by closing the 40-70 gap. That's a little too off topic for this thread though.

In general, I don't think people understand traffic or speed very well at all, and thus are afraid of it, like those who were afraid of lightening before they really understood it.
I'll give you props for that last sentence, but the stuff before it doesn't address my original point. There is a big difference between saying "speed limits wouldn't be going up if engineers didn't think it was safe" and what you originally said about how faster speed limits will make it "Safer". I work engineers and DOT folks - any decent engineer can provided statistics and data to back up even the weakest of arguments. Now, once you have actual data showing I-540 is "safer" after the faster speed limits have been in place for three years (safer as in less accidents) feel free to send me that data.

I welcome your explanation of lightning (or as I call it "bright light loud boom!!) too, but you can just direct message me with that.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Sorry, my point was not about the relative speed of 65 vs 70 and safety, but of the relative speeds of "slow" and "fast" drivers on the same road and safety. Its not the speed limit that makes roads dangerous, it's the drivers swerving, slamming on brakes, and causing congestion that makes roads dangerous. Since most drivers want to drive around 70 mph when the speed limit lets them, vs slower when being lawful, you improve the uniform flow of traffic and reduce the speed variance.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Good explanation.

One point we might want to add, reaction time.

At faster speeds, drivers have less time to respond to an issue before things go bad. Not everyone has superb reactions and some need more time to recognize a problem and take action than others.

Forcing higher speeds may well turn these drivers into hazards where they could be fine at speeds commensurate with their abilities.

Since there are few public transit alternatives, drivers are forced into situations beyond their abilities.
I think the biggest problem with reaction time is that people simply aren't paying attention, and heavy traffic forces drivers to be very close to each other, where reaction time is more critical.

Most crashes I see on 540 are during rush hour when traffic is moving closer to 30 mph and people are merging into each other (blind spots or simply not looking/signaling) or rear ending each other.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Woohoo 70 mph. Enjoyed reading all the posts on speed differentials.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are plenty of cops out there to give out tickets. No worries there.
There seems to be more people with smartphones using Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze that report police locations on 540. I rarely see police without already knowing they are there. I'm generally less than 10% over the limit, so I don't think I'm at risk of getting pulled over, but I still like to know.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,393 times
You'll never see a person driving fast creating a traffic backup.[/quote]

Not until they crash and the interstate is shut down for everyone...

To each his own though, for me raising it to 70 mph only gives the mindset to many that they can now do 80+ mph...crazy...but again...to each his own...ride my bumper at 70mph in the center or right lane; you will have a large black bumper in your face and you'll be buying me a new car when I apply my brakes... Safe driving everyone

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,377 times
Quote:

Not until they crash and the interstate is shut down for everyone...

To each his own though, for me raising it to 70 mph only gives the mindset to many that they can now do 80+ mph...crazy...but again...to each his own...ride my bumper at 70mph in the center or right lane; you will have a large black bumper in your face and you'll be buying me a new car when I apply my brakes... Safe driving everyone
Real safe, pretty ironic. Some good karma you're passing on there, would urge you to rethink your position. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times
Being they have to replace all the 65MPH signs with 70 MPH signs will that be enough to add a toll to I-540 above RT40? Its just a matter of time or the right upgrade I think......

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I don't think so. Most highways on which I've driven that are 70 I'm encountering a traffic flow averaging 75. Highways posted 65 traffic is usually flowing at 73.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary