Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 8,178 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of the helpful advice! Seems like renting for a bit is a smart choice until we are certain we find the house right for us amid all this buying frenzy. We'll take our time and be sure to not rush any decisions- this is a big one! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Sorry. I'm used to people coming here looking for half an acre and 3000 sq ft with full upgrades. Can't find that ITB for under 400k.

You are correct in that someone could find a cute little bungalow or split level over in Laurel Hills, for example, for under 400k. If there was actual inventory.
Man, a 3000 ft.² house with all the bells and whistles on a half-acre lot is what it takes to qualify as "decent" in some people's eyes? Good grief. In that case, then, I and a whole lot of other people all around Raleigh and the Triangle are quite a bit more indecent than I had heretofore realized…

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Man, a 3000 ft.² house with all the bells and whistles on a half-acre lot is what it takes to qualify as "decent" in some people's eyes? Good grief. In that case, then, I and a whole lot of other people all around Raleigh and the Triangle are quite a bit more indecent than I had heretofore realized…
Nah. I love smaller houses. Less to clean.

Though, truthfully, I'd adore a house in Cameron Park. That would cost more than 400k, though.

I guess being here at C-D has just gotten me so used to people asking for big houses and big lots for less than they're planning to spend, I remarked a bit too nonchalantly earlier in this thread.

There are, however, far more available homes ITB at the moment that are NOT already contingent that are listed at over 400k than those listed under 400k.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
<$400,000 in great ITB neighborhoods tends to be a building lot with a house in the way.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
So what the heck happened? Seems like the market has been sluggish for a few years now and suddenly BOOM! It is gang busters! I mean I have three friends who all listed a home for sale in North Raleigh over the past month and all three went under contract within 5 days (one in just 1 day). These friends were suddenly scrambling to find a new place and have expressed how little is out there - two are planning to rent while they search for the next home. So I get the low inventory thing .... but why has buying suddenly picked up? What changed recently? Is it local or is it a national thing?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM

181 posts, read 387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So what the heck happened? Seems like the market has been sluggish for a few years now and suddenly BOOM! It is gang busters! I mean I have three friends who all listed a home for sale in North Raleigh over the past month and all three went under contract within 5 days (one in just 1 day). These friends were suddenly scrambling to find a new place and have expressed how little is out there - two are planning to rent while they search for the next home. So I get the low inventory thing .... but why has buying suddenly picked up? What changed recently? Is it local or is it a national thing?

Seems to be the same for decent rental homes. 2 yrs ago when we moved we did not sell so we became landlords for our NW Raleigh home. I recently relisted it for rental and although I read about the rental market being tighter at te moment; was pleasantly surprised with all the interest that it got and that it went under contract so quickly.

Maybe it's the school system's change to address based assignments along with the low rates?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Housing is a basic human need.
Our Triangle population continues to grow, and newcomers bring that need with them.
Interest rates remain low, but signs of pressure for increase are visible. Motivation for buying now.
With WCPSS politics changing course, and address assignments, some more demand was uncorked.
We have more buyers, but no more homes.

Signs were in place a year ago that things were turning. Throughout 2012, multiple offers became more common. Now buying pressure has increased, and shortage is more critical.

There are still many homeowners with little or no equity who would sell and move up if prices come back farther. They are on the sidelines, waiting and watching. That has suppressed inventory to some extent.
That "shadow" resale inventory will help control prices at some point.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
So what do you do if you are a seller and a buyer??? So hard to decide whether to wait or not! Our house probably would not go up much if we waited, so I'm thinking we should try to sell now and get another house before prices go up. Doesn't that make sense if you're looking to move to a more expensive house right now? Percentage-wise I mean
Prepare! If your house that you are selling really is in an area that the other homes are selling quickly and you are in good condition and priced well, and you do sell quickly, you should have already found a few homes that you like so you can make an offer quickly.

Keep in mind that you may have to go in to temporary housing if your home sells before you find your new home or perhaps you can work it out with your buyers to rent back for a month.

You may have to lose a few good choices until you realize that you will have to move a bit quicker than in the past.

DON'T SETTLE. I say that because you'll be less likely to make a mistake if you know what you want, how much you can spend and don't jump on something just because you worry that another won't come on the market. Homes are coming on the market every day.

Vicki

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

51 posts, read 101,804 times
Default reply

I have noticed the same trend in our neighborhood off Glenwood in Five Points. Houses are not sitting long and prices are way up. Our neighbors just sold their renovated 1930's 1800 square foot home on .28 acre lot for $489k or 271 per sq foot. Multiple offers after 1 week on Market.
Seems mainly due to low inventory situation.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Housing is a basic human need.
Our Triangle population continues to grow, and newcomers bring that need with them.
Interest rates remain low, but signs of pressure for increase are visible. Motivation for buying now.
With WCPSS politics changing course, and address assignments, some more demand was uncorked.
We have more buyers, but no more homes.

Signs were in place a year ago that things were turning. Throughout 2012, multiple offers became more common. Now buying pressure has increased, and shortage is more critical.

There are still many homeowners with little or no equity who would sell and move up if prices come back farther. They are on the sidelines, waiting and watching. That has suppressed inventory to some extent.
That "shadow" resale inventory will help control prices at some point.
I keep hearing about this "shadow" inventory!

BRING IT ON!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary