Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,695 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for feedback on whether this is appropriate. We are (fortunately) only in this townhome temporarily. I have two boys, 4 and 2, who like to play out front on the blacktop. We play hockey, shoot basketball on the mini goal, etc.

Under no circumstances are they ever unsupervised. Ever. My wife and/or I are always there with them.

We were just told that the HOA president has received "numerous complaints" about our kids. He told me they are not allowed to play out front of the townhome. It's sticky because it's the townhome of a relative and I don't want to get them in hot water.

I would understand if it was 1. A through street. It's a dead end! 2. My kids were out there unsupervised.

Am I right to feel this is ridiculous? This is not an adult community.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Were you given a reason for the request, i.e., the kids are too noisy, or there is a liability issue for them to be in a common area, etc.

This may actually be a reasonable request if it has to do with liability or with noise levels.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
Where exactly are your kids playing? In the street? In empty parking spaces? In the front yard of the townhome?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
The first step is to review the neighborhoods Covenants. These will tell you what is allowed and not allowed. Tread carefully, because getting the HOA against you can cause problems for your family who owns the unit.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,121 times
If it were a covenant violation, I would assume an actual letter would have been mailed.

Call the HOA president and ask which specific covenant it's violating. If there isn't one, tell him to pound sand. If there is one, either obey it or follow the proper channels to attempt to change it.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,750 times
Default covenants

Read the restrictions that ARE IN WRITING. They cannot just make up rules as they go along unless people give them the power by not question it. I would be surprised if they have a rule about no kids playing.

People complaining about kids playing when so many are in desperate need of excercise

Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Their reason: The child walked in between 2 cars (parked in front) to get out to the street, and your wife was in the garage (probably getting a toy for him).

My interpretation: I'm afraid your child is going to scratch my merceded.

I asked for a written covenant. It's just sticky because I don't want to create trouble for our landlord who is extended family. But at the same time I had a wife in tears feeling like a bad parent and wondering how she will make it through the summer without the kids being able to play in a cul de sac.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
In my experience, renters aren't going to be given much respect by owners. While they might cut each other a little slack, they often get very strict in enforcing rules against renters.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
I'm looking for feedback on whether this is appropriate. We are (fortunately) only in this townhome temporarily. I have two boys, 4 and 2, who like to play out front on the blacktop. We play hockey, shoot basketball on the mini goal, etc.

Under no circumstances are they ever unsupervised. Ever. My wife and/or I are always there with them.

We were just told that the HOA president has received "numerous complaints" about our kids. He told me they are not allowed to play out front of the townhome. It's sticky because it's the townhome of a relative and I don't want to get them in hot water.

I would understand if it was 1. A through street. It's a dead end! 2. My kids were out there unsupervised.

Am I right to feel this is ridiculous? This is not an adult community.

It looks like your kids are playing on a dead end street where cars pull in and out to park, correct?

By all means, ask to see the usage rules, bylaws, or covenants that cover this. If this is a community with families, this is covered somewhere, somehow. HOA committees live to write rules.

My heart goes out to your wife who was counting on the kids playing in the street through the summer and who is now accused of not watching them because she was in the garage getting a toy while they were out playing.

Are there other areas she can take them to play? Is there a pool with this community? A playground? A park nearby?

My guess is that in the past parents have allowed their children to play in the street, dead end or no, while they carried on about their own business. Likely, the neighbors are concerned not only about their BMW's getting scratched but about accidentally hitting one of your boys.

I once drove into our townhouse parking area and came close to running over our three year old daughter who came shooting out of our carport on her hot wheels. (My DH had a lame excuse about how this had occurred. But it never happened twice, I'll tell you.)

Also, the noise from two little boys playing can be piercing. If you are interested in keeping the peace with the neighbors and the HOA, find a playground to let them burn off energy. They'll be safer and neighbor's happier.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-18-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's a positive to have neighbors concerned over the safety of our kids and others. I guess the fact that we were told it was always prohibited felt a bit unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary