Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,450,163 times

Advertisements

What in the world kind of person would willingly choose to live in an area governed by an HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
What in the world kind of person would willingly choose to live in an area governed by an HOA?
Depends greatly on the HOA...many are well-run and can help enhance the quality of the neighborhood. Never mind the requirements for storm water management that make them almost a necessity in newer neighborhoods.

If an HOA is out of control, that's on the neighborhood residents...they have the power to fix it.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,181 times
Quote:
Why be offensive to people when you know many people on CD DO live in HOA areas.

I live in a townhome community. I can imagine NOT having an HOA with 205 other townhomes. Its also been the law for any subdivision since the 80's to have an HOA. I get you dont like them...but quit with the holier than thou bull.....

Its funny that the people who hate the HOA are the first cry babys at the meeting when the landscaper cracks a window with a stray rock or the kids trample their flowers.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Depends greatly on the HOA...many are well-run and can help enhance the quality of the neighborhood. Never mind the requirements for storm water management that make them almost a necessity in newer neighborhoods.

If an HOA is out of control, that's on the neighborhood residents...they have the power to fix it.
Yeah. Our HOAs at both the properties we own are pretty laid back. So are the owners.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Also...

If you are shopping for a home and you move into a place with well-manicured lawns, matching mailboxes, quiet neighbors, etc...

Why would anybody expect to be allowed to pave the front yard to put in a court for basketball, erect a 20ft chain link fence for the dog, or have street parties until 3am?

Buy in a place where you see the stuff you want out of a neighborhood. It's pretty simple.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Also...

If you are shopping for a home and you move into a place with well-manicured lawns, matching mailboxes, quiet neighbors, etc...

Why would anybody expect to be allowed to pave the front yard to put in a court for basketball, erect a 20ft chain link fence for the dog, or have street parties until 3am?

Buy in a place where you see the stuff you want out of a neighborhood. It's pretty simple.
I show houses all the time and I can tell you the MINUTE I drive into a neighborhood whether or not it has a HOA!

As I've posted before, I had a home listed for sale in a n'hood without a HOA. Neighbor next door had about 3 junk cars parked on his driveway. EVERY potential buyer that came to view the home I had listed mentioned the junk cars and they didn't want to have to see that every day.

My seller asked neighbor if he would clean up driveway while we had house on market. Seller replied "No, I moved to this n'hood because it doesn't have a HOA so I COULD put my junk cars on driveway!". We kept dropping price until seller decided to rent the home instead of trying to sell it.

My point is...living in a n'hood without an HOA can effect your values so like Meh said...look around to make sure this is what YOU want before you buy.

Vicki

Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Well in NC if your neighborhood has more than about 50 houses you pretty much have to have one since the mid 90s.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Why'd they want the signs up?
we had a problem with speeding past the pool/playground area which is near the subdivision entrance.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
we had a problem with speeding past the pool/playground area which is near the subdivision entrance.
That's folks who live there, most likely. Or their regular visitors. Yeah. That's an HOA issue.

Pity that people don't use better judgment.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
I always said I never would, and then I did. But I only did because I already knew the neighborhood very well - used to walk my dog through it - and I could tell that the HOA isn't so restrictive that it would drive me up the wall (there are some vegetable gardens in the front yard - a plus as it's a wooded area). My HOA does send out letters when lawns get a little scary, but it's funny because my HOA president has a very "interesting" front yard. Which doesn't bother me at all personally, it's just kind of funny.

I do have to get approval for a new fence, which is a little annoying, but I can live with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary