Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Returning from a trip to the 7-11 for Skittles and ice tea?
I'll wear a hoodie next time I drive through a neighborhood where I don't own a home.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
She did have business...checking out the houses.

It's a public street. What's the problem?

If I'm gunning my motorcycle up and down the road outside of their houses, sure, but just driving by?
Yeah. I'm driving a plug-in hybrid. Nobody can hear me at all.

Hence the joke someone made earlier about me revving my Dustbuster.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
Imagine if everyone thought like you, there would be cars buzzing around neighborhood streets all the time. What I mean by a private neighborhood is that if it's a closed street with private residences, why would anyone who has no business drive around there. I remember driving in neighborhoods when we were looking at houses, but we were there for a purpose and were always extremely careful and sensitive to the people who lived there.

If you need design ideas why don't you hire a consultant.
So, does this mean I can tell all the riff-raff who walk through our neighborhood to grab a scenic route to the trailhead we have here that they have to stay out?

Sweet. I'll go erect a sign.

You do know that the Tobacco Trail runs right by Copperleaf, right?

Also, I think you'd be amazed at how many people go to open houses and homes under construction to get ideas for their own homes.

Ditto the Parade of Homes.

What about "public road" do you not get?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:02 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'll wear a hoodie next time I drive through a neighborhood where I don't own a home.
I admire your bravery and sense of fair play. Be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM

25 posts, read 42,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, does this mean I can tell all the riff-raff who walk through our neighborhood to grab a scenic route to the trailhead we have here that they have to stay out?

Sweet. I'll go erect a sign.

You do know that the Tobacco Trail runs right by Copperleaf, right?

Also, I think you'd be amazed at how many people go to open houses and homes under construction to get ideas for their own homes.

Ditto the Parade of Homes.

What about "public road" do you not get?
I'm sure you would have a different perspective if someone was driving through your neighborhood and complaining about you walking on your street. The only reason we moved into Copperleaf is because there are so many young kids and we like to be out so that kids can play instead of watching tv indoors. I dont see why you have a problem with that when you dont even live here. American tobacco trail does not run through the neighborhood, we have private trails that connect with it, and there are signs posted saying that this is a private property. I'm not going to respond to you further as I have better things to do.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I admire your bravery and sense of fair play. Be safe.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
I'm sure you would have a different perspective if someone was driving through your neighborhood and complaining about you walking on your street. The only reason we moved into Copperleaf is because there are so many young kids and we like to be out so that kids can play instead of watching tv indoors. I dont see why you have a problem with that when you dont even live here. American tobacco trail does not run through the neighborhood, we have private trails that connect with it, and there are signs posted saying that this is a private property. I'm not going to respond to you further as I have better things to do.
Ummm. Okay?

You do know that there are still empty lots and construction and unsold homes out there, right?

I dunno. We might up and decide to move out there yet. Who knows?

If you didn't want anyone to ever drive past your house but neighbors and their invited guests, you should have sprung for a gated community.

Do you think that only people who are shopping are allowed in malls?

I don't recall any signs by ATT saying it is private. Only the HOA-maintained trails are private (as they should be!)

Black Creek Greenway does not run through my neighborhood, either, but it does not stop people who don't live here from using the trailhead.

Anyway, from what I've seen of some of the drivers in Copperleaf, I feel certain one of them will hit a kid long before anyone who drives through to take a look at the new construction will.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Our HOA once asked the Town of Chapel Hill is we could put up some signs regarding kids playing. The said such signs were not allowed and would be removed by town staff.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Our HOA once asked the Town of Chapel Hill is we could put up some signs regarding kids playing. The said such signs were not allowed and would be removed by town staff.
Why'd they want the signs up?

I've always thought that kids playing is to be expected in a residential neighborhood.

I see the practicality in making people aware that a large number of kids may be in/near the road (like the school crossing signs, as schools aren't always immediately visible.)

If people don't have the smarts (or concern) to maintain a safe speed in a residential area, I doubt they'll pay any attention to a sign, yanno?

Despite my kidding around about the "Slow Children" standees that do pretty much nothing, I really am very careful when driving in an area where kids are either already in the road or where there's a chance that one could pop out at any moment (cars beside the road, trees, etc).

Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 37,550 times
Default The New Face of "Rules, Rules and one more rule"

I just wanted to respond to your post because I have been in several terse disagreements with my HOA, over ridiculous matters: sunflowers are too tall for the front yard, the mailbox has to be painted a specific shade of color, my fence was originally thought to be "illegal, but eventually approved and the list goes on. I have never lived with one and will NEVER live with one again. The reality is that through their so called "covenants" they hold all the cards.

There is no governing agency, other than the HOA, to oversee them or monitor any of their mandates and how they exercise those mandates, if you disagree, they will wave the infamous covenants at you and tell you to comply, or else: you will be fined, you will face possible litigation, etc etc. Most of the "board members" I have encountered are small people with a little bit of power and way too much time on their hands. The good news, as you say, is that you do not own this property and will soon be on your way to another, hopefully, more hospitable community. While the original intent of HOAs was a good one--to foster community and a sense of pride in the ownership of one's property, the end result is often people who have way too much power and no accountability. The process becomes an endless cycle of rigid and even punitive rules, regulations, and endless petty monitoring of even the most mundane matters. My only advice is to have your kids play somewhere else to avoid a full blown out confrontation at some point--because the HOA will not back down. When you do purchase a property--look carefully at everything--including the HOA before assuming ownership in a community that can quickly become acrimonious.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary