Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 PM

17 posts, read 162,725 times

Advertisements

By Golly Joe – I think Raleigh is fairly conservative – not excessively, like Charlotte though.

In terms of the top areas from liberal to conservative, I vote, in order:

Asheville, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, then Charlotte.

NCBF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncboundfolk View Post
By Golly Joe – I think Raleigh is fairly conservative – not excessively, like Charlotte though.
Yeah, well, more conservative than its sister Triangle cities of Durham and Chapel Hill....but more liberal than than its neighboring Wake County suburbs (Cary, Apex, Garner, etc) and more liberal than other major NC cities like Charlotte or WinstonSalem.

And it depends on what part of Raleigh. Downtown & surrounding areas are about as liberal as they can be while some of the outer reaches, like the Falls area or Wakefield, are about as conservative as I've ever seen.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Charlotte is becoming more liberal, but still is definitely less liberal than Raleigh. At least in the social or cultural sense. Expect Wake County to turn Democrat soon, just like just about every other big city county in the nation.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:00 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,355 times
[quote=sandycat;120470]NCBound, how funny, yes rational (and compassionate) is how I would describe myself and those who share my political viewpoints,

That's funny b/c that's exactly how I describe myself too, and I'm a republican

I've always found that there are rational and compassionate people in BOTH parties....

Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
Hi Boatdrinks,
yes, of course there are compassionate conservatives (isn't that how GW Bush described himself in the 2000 election? hmmmm... ). Not sure if this is the proper forum for this but let's see: tax cuts for the rich, the war in Iraq which has basically turned it into a killing field, 45 million Americans without health care, Katrina..... but I digress. And to be fair, I know lots of Republicans which I like and get along with, hang out with etc. but our current Admin can't call themselves compassionate. They are anything but. Let's start moving policies back to the middle (or a little to the left )

Old 11-13-2006, 03:49 PM

110 posts, read 394,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Hi Boatdrinks,
yes, of course there are compassionate conservatives (isn't that how GW Bush described himself in the 2000 election? hmmmm... ). Not sure if this is the proper forum for this but let's see: tax cuts for the rich, the war in Iraq which has basically turned it into a killing field, 45 million Americans without health care, Katrina..... but I digress. And to be fair, I know lots of Republicans which I like and get along with, hang out with etc. but our current Admin can't call themselves compassionate. They are anything but. Let's start moving policies back to the middle (or a little to the left )
A quote.

Most people would be more than happy to live in a dictatorship, as long as that dictatorship reflected their own views.

Argue it all you want, but everyone thinks their side is right.

Iraq? How many Dems voted for the war? Katrina? Which political party does the mayor of New Orleans belong to? Health care? Why is it my responsibility to pay for you to go to a doctor?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Hi Boatdrinks,
I agree that this isn't the proper forum for this, so I won't address your comments about the administration and it's policies, nor will I bring up the policies of the dems...

Your posts (and those of a few others as well) lead me to believe that you feel you and your like minded libs are the only rational and compassionate folks out there. I strongly disagree, and felt the need to point out that you can't, and shouldn't, judge a person based soley on the letter that comes after their name (D)/(R). When you start painting ALL republicans with the same brush, you start sounding just like the Rush Limbaughs and Anne Coulters you hate so much.

Here's to rationality and compassion on BOTH sides of the aisle...

Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
Boatdrinks,
I'll agree with that, and I was being a little tongue in cheek with my comments. I just want to be in a neighborhood/area where people are nice and not hostile. I don't care if you vote republican, but it bothers me when people say things like "why should I pay for all those fill-in-the-blank people" or "who gives a **** about the environment". That's what I mean about being compassionate.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM

108 posts, read 374,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetriad View Post
I'm not that big on politics, but this is interesting...
You have to remember that Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) is MUCH smaller than Wake County (Raleigh).
The City of Charlotte takes up most of Mecklenburg County; while the City of Raleigh takes up only a fraction of Wake County.
Therefore Charlotte's political influence and voting patterns have a much bigger impact on it's county than Raleigh does with it's respective county.
Also, Mecklenburg County has a higher black population than Wake County.
Wake County also has about a dozen or so municipalities in addition to the City of Raleigh. Those smaller municipalities tend to vote republican and balance the mostly liberal/democrat Raleigh.

Raleigh feels a bit more liberal than Charlotte.
A true test of how 'liberal' or 'conservative' a place is by it's vibe/feel.

There are some 'blue' democrat counties in eastern NC. They are 'blue' because of the higher black (sometimes american indian) population, but they don't 'feel' liberal. That is because most blacks could be considered socially conservative even though they always vote democrat.

Asheville is in a light 'red' county (Buncombe), but it 'feels' much more liberal than most 'blue' counties in NC due to it's white, gay and hippy population.

Asheville is light red?
I feel ready to cry, in 6 months we plan to move, and just not sure where!! I was thinking Asheville or Hendersonville I love the mountains. How is Chapel Hill? Sounds very nice. Are there parks there, museums and hiking? That is what I am really looking for, thanks.
Actually, Asheville sounds great, but I have read online about its high crime, which for some reason came as a surprise to me if this city is compared to some sort of newage utopia. If anyone here lives in Asheville I would love to hear how safe you feel please.

Last edited by Teressah; 11-13-2006 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: added sentence

Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM

9 posts, read 30,530 times
Sandycat -

I'll be your liberal friend. I'm moving from one of the most liberal areas of Boston (Jamaica Plain) to Raleigh, and I have the same concerns as you do. I've often lived in liberal pockets in red state (Atlanta, GA; Bloomington, IN), and I am hoping I get to do the same in Raleigh. I'm planning to live well inside the perimeter in Raleigh, and I hope it works out OK. I can't take the long winters with 4pm sunsets here!

Abby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary