Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM

191 posts, read 276,196 times

Advertisements

Is that a rhetorical question LOL? Of course life down here is slower and (somewhat) less sophisticated than the dozens of other places around the world in which I've lived... but that's one of its strengths. Although I must admit the museums in Raleigh (and with the expansion, also the Art museum in N Raleigh) are quite impressive, as are the green ways and other parks (eg. Umstead). Further, the NC orchestra has improved vastly in our 10 years here to truly become a contender... and Durham is aplenty with quaint, artsy locales.

The Triangle is not now backward in the cultural sense... but sadly, I must admit having met far more folks here with local degrees than an education, let alone wisdom. As for primary/secondary public education, 10 years ago many Wake (and some Durham) schools were solid and legit... now apart from a few Cary and Apex schools, the only solid public schools sadly are in CH/Carrboro which remain quite good even world-class perhaps.

The upshot: There are good things here for sure... you just have to seek them and plan for them ;-)...

Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM

34 posts, read 95,107 times
in a word, yes

Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think of the dumb rural Southerners as rednecks (and NO, not all are dumb, certainly!). And true, rednecks are in every state. Nothing wrong with rednecks whatsoever -- except when their bonehead decisions affect our lives.

Apparently, they outnumber the educated city people. So -- perhaps NC deserves its (awful) reputation?
The irony of your deriding the influence of uneducated rural people is the things which separate NC from much of the rest of the south and what one might call "progressive" are largely the product of rural folk. Assuming you're not too pleased with the direction the state's gone in recently, that's more coming from more recent suburban influences, often spearheaded by northern transplants, the Wake school system debacle being the most notable example.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
The irony of your deriding the influence of uneducated rural people is the things which separate NC from much of the rest of the south and what one might call "progressive" are largely the product of rural folk. Assuming you're not too pleased with the direction the state's gone in recently, that's more coming from more recent suburban influences, often spearheaded by northern transplants, the Wake school system debacle being the most notable example.

The direction the state turned was not due to the Northern transplants. It was due to the voting habits of those living in the rural areas, and I believe the majority of them are natives and most probably are not as educated.

The stats reflect those voting habits. (I think that historically, the direction was different, so that might be what you're thinking, but things have changed.)

The Wake school board debacle was a fluke and represented a much smaller area and group of people compared to the state.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM

224 posts, read 432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

If asked, a custodian in NYC could pick out a better bottle of champagne and a better looking men's suit than most NC millionaires. I guarantee you that.
love that

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Nothing wrong with rednecks whatsoever -- except when their bonehead decisions affect our lives.

Can someone please clarify what you mean by this? What decisions?? Political?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, not cracker. "Cracker" = "honky". It's racial and only refers to whites. Maybe the person you heard was using it in a joking manner? "Redneck" is definitely in use and is one of those words that can be used in a pejorative manner, but other folks wear it as a badge of pride.

Yeah, cracker just means white.
"Redneck yacht club" anyone? haha

Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think there are plenty of rural Democrats and plenty of city Republicans. I don't think it's as simple as "uneducated rural" voters turning the state in a red direction. Certainly some of the transplants who have come are liberal Democrats, but plenty are Republicans and some are Tea Partiers, too.

If you look at the county by county election results for the 2012 election you can see that most of those blue counties are rural. Some cities are red. Don't forget that Wake Co, with its high percentage of educated transplants went for McCrory.

North Carolina Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com
North Carolina Governor Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com
North Carolina House Election Results 2012 - Map, District Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com

Plenty of people who live in the country are educated, too. All my rural relatives graduated from college. Some vote Republican and some vote Democrat and some don't tell me which way they vote.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-21-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM

109 posts, read 200,280 times
From NYC (born and raised) now living in Charlotte.

To be frank I, nor anyone I know who moved to NC from a big city, has ever had a feeling that this is a state of "hicks" particularly in the NC cities.

Coincidentally, I have witnessed a defensiveness on some in the state (and some in this thread) against transplants though based on assumptions that we do think this is a state of hicks. I've also witnessed transplants who worry that natives will not accept them.

Fact of the matter is that the state is made up of natives and transplants and worrying about artificial divisions such as "they think..." is pointless. We are all (natives and transplants) residents of the state because we want to be and like it.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 PM

119 posts, read 207,059 times
not at all. we have met so many very nice people. and at least half are transplants, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary