Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times

Advertisements

(Post in error)

Last edited by west seattle gal; 05-21-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM

There are definitely "hicks" in rural NC, including some of my husband's family. The are proud to be so. They are racist, sexist, bible-thumping, gun-toting, tobacco chewing, uneducated Republicans (though some are registered as Democrats, they never vote that way). This element is less prevalent in the urban NC areas, and of course, still a minority in the rural areas. They do not represent the state, though I've realized that some people out here on the West coast (called "left coast" by my in-laws) do have the wrong perception about the SE culture in general. NC is a melting pot, people of all types are represented.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Yeah, west seattle, but there are people like that in the cities, too! Plenty of gun-toting, racist, sexist, bible-thumping, uneducated folks live right in Raleigh and Charlotte, too. I think the tobacco chewing (or dippin') is not as common as it once was. Been awhile since I've seen a spit cup, at least, but I don't think the rest of it has anything to do with rural vs city. My dad had two sisters. The more rural living one is a die hard progressive Democrat at 85. The city-living 90 yr old is just as much of a die hard Jesse Helms voting Republican. My DH has rural relatives in SE NC that come from a long line of progressive Democrats (think Terry Sanford, Frank Porter Graham, Bill Friday).

BUT, I don't really think "hick-dom" has that much to do with politics. There are plenty of educated, progressive folks that might be labeled "hicks", too.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Good points, poppydog. My personal bias has probably skewed my perspective on politics.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM

206 posts, read 310,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
There are definitely "hicks" in rural NC, including some of my husband's family. The are proud to be so. They are racist, sexist, bible-thumping, gun-toting, tobacco chewing, uneducated Republicans (though some are registered as Democrats, they never vote that way). This element is less prevalent in the urban NC areas, and of course, still a minority in the rural areas. They do not represent the state, though I've realized that some people out here on the West coast (called "left coast" by my in-laws) do have the wrong perception about the SE culture in general. NC is a melting pot, people of all types are represented.
Well we did represent the state til you Yankees came in and ruined things, lol

Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The direction the state turned was not due to the Northern transplants. It was due to the voting habits of those living in the rural areas, and I believe the majority of them are natives and most probably are not as educated.

The stats reflect those voting habits. (I think that historically, the direction was different, so that might be what you're thinking, but things have changed.)

The Wake school board debacle was a fluke and represented a much smaller area and group of people compared to the state.

I am seriously getting sick and tired of you transplants coming to this state and saying we are less educated. Bunch of bs, why don't you go back up north, or out west or wherever you came from. I bet you don't even know how to check the air in your tires and think you are too good for anyone that doesn't drink coffee from Starbucks. Probably never even washed dished in your life, it's beneath you people.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to run for a elected office in this state unless they were born and raised here. Tired of transplants wanting to change our laws because they think uneducated people voted for them. Raleigh was seriously a BETTER city 30 and 40 years ago before so many transplants tried to take over. Not all of you are bad, just the ones that insult us and think you are betteror more educated. I am a redneck hick that graduated from NC State in 1980 but my daddy who never went to college was smarter than me and anyone from up north. He could do anything.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with rednecks whatsoever -- except when their bonehead decisions affect our lives.

When you move here from another state you need to embrace the ways of all. Unless you are a NC native you have NO right to complain about anyone's boneheaded decisions. Don't like the way we are in this state? Go back to whence you came. I will gladly provide a map to I-95 to any transplant that does not like the way we natives run the state.

You are more than welcome to live here in southern hospitality but don't try to tell us natives how to run the state. You have no right.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
I think somebody needs a dipper full of cold well water and a good chew

Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,404 times
Quote:
The direction the state turned was not due to the Northern transplants. It was due to the voting habits of those living in the rural areas, and I believe the majority of them are natives and most probably are not as educated.

The stats reflect those voting habits. (I think that historically, the direction was different, so that might be what you're thinking, but things have changed.)
Except the stats also show only about a third of the state is rural, and that percentage has been declining for the better part of a century, as it has nationwide. So their influence has waned, not strengthened.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
I am seriously getting sick and tired of you transplants coming to this state and saying we are less educated. Bunch of bs, why don't you go back up north, or out west or wherever you came from. I bet you don't even know how to check the air in your tires and think you are too good for anyone that doesn't drink coffee from Starbucks. Probably never even washed dished in your life, it's beneath you people.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to run for a elected office in this state unless they were born and raised here. Tired of transplants wanting to change our laws because they think uneducated people voted for them. Raleigh was seriously a BETTER city 30 and 40 years ago before so many transplants tried to take over. Not all of you are bad, just the ones that insult us and think you are betteror more educated. I am a redneck hick that graduated from NC State in 1980 but my daddy who never went to college was smarter than me and anyone from up north. He could do anything.
I voted for Obama. Twice.

Born here. Raised here.

I'm all for gay marriage and I'm fine with helping those who are less fortunate.

I think our current legislature sucks. And our governor. Ugh.

I dunno which transplants you were aiming for, but my liberal (albeit registered Independent self) would run for office if you had to be a native and all we had were über conservative neocons who were hell bent on cramming the Bible down everyone's throats.

Separation of church and state!

Unless the church is ready to be taxed and wants to openly start politicking.

ps. I don't hate Muslims, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary