Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,450,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
Supporting your family shouldnt be an issue in this thread. If you cant afford to have a kid....dont.
If teachers with college degrees and often advanced degrees can't afford to have a kid, then that's a problem - a problem directly linked to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,884 times
nm

Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
If teachers with college degrees and often advanced degrees can't afford to have a kid, then that's a problem - a problem directly linked to this thread.
We can agree to disagree. A teacher salary and a second income can afford a kid just maybe not 2,3,4+.

They should pay teachers higher in the "uneducated areas" to encourage good teachers to come.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,837,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
The fact that teachers have to spend their own money (again taken from sub-par salaries) to buy supplies speaks volumes about the 'value' we truly place on education in this country.
Well just say No, then. Nobody can make you spend your own money. It's your money; tell the school, students, and parents "Get your own supplies or do without." Disappoint them for a change. :-D Employees who martyr themselves just to do a job do themselves and their profession no favors. People just continue to take advantage of them. If you want respect and you want supplies, then demand them or tell the parents that the school doesn't provide this and YOU need to. Don't suck up and do it unpaid or pay out of your pocket and then expect people to respect your martyrdom and servile attitude. They will just see that you are the servile type and then you will have never be able to break out if it.

I see this quality in too many teachers and nurses, and mostly it's women who do this. Do you have no spines? Learn how to seize power and stop being taken advantage of. Learn how to draw the line and stop giving away the store. Learn what is and isn't your job, and then if you are asked to do more than your job description, just laugh, say "Not my job. Do it yourself," and then walk away.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,837,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal
'Pay cuts hurt': North Carolina teacher shares her story | Education Votes

How do Republicans respond to stories like this one, where a teacher needs welfare to support her family despite working 50 hrs per week? The free market does not set teacher pay, so no one can legitimately argue from that angle. It is outrageous that we provide kids and teachers so little. Societal values are really screwed up.
She's just plain stupid if she thinks that a family could ever live on a paltry $31k /year. $30k or so is the salary at which a single person with no dependents and no significant debts can afford a modest lifestyle and buy a very modest home and drive a cheap used car. Back in 1988 or so, there was a statistic quoted that the average family of 4 in an average-cost city in the USA needed to gross $56,000 annually in order to have ANY disposable income. If you just applied inflation to that, inflation would have increased that dollar figure to at least $80,000 per year by now. Why were they having another child when they already know they couldn't afford the two they have? Oh, yeah, maybe because they knew government assistance would help them out, and then they could write an article and whine about how unfair life is to them, after getting all of those handouts that are money taken from other people's paychecks.

People who have low incomes and too many children and then whine because they don't have any money need a kick in the pants.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
They have medical/dental, pension plan and early retirement, paid vacations. There are millions of working Americans that have none of these. Millions of Americans expect to work into their 70's. Teachers have all of these and complain about it. Amazing.
How many working Americans who are in the field for which they attended college, trained for, and continually train for every year don't have at least some (or all) of those benefits?

Paid vacation? I guess. Most of the time is consumed with mandatory workshops and training. And lesson planning, decorating rooms (a must in elementary...usually out of pocket).

Teaching is a crappy job unless one has free room and board and lives alone with no social life or family obligations.

Wait a minute... Isn't that exactly how it worked in pioneer days?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 AM

170 posts, read 363,187 times
My wife has a nail tech who quit her job as a teacher because teaching paid less. Lets call it what it is. You get less applicants who are qualified for low paying jobs. The way teachers are paid in NC is a joke. 2 teachers with kids should be able to live fairly well if they are married. As it stands, I know several who struggle to get by and are considering different career paths.

Im sure WCPSS has some good teachers but a ton of folks who would love to live in the area won''t because the wages are so low.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,951,995 times
From the N&O today:

Quote:
Teacher education in the nation’s universities is “an industry of mediocrity,” says a new report that rates hundreds of programs and gives less than 10 percent a favorable grade. <snip>

It looked at data for 36 programs in North Carolina and rated 18 of them. Among them, only one – a graduate program in secondary education at UNC-Chapel Hill – made the report’s honor roll. Most received one or two stars. Those with less than one star were labeled with an exclamation-point consumer warning alert.

“The results were dismal,” Kate Walsh, president of the council, said in a conference call with reporters.

Walsh painted a negative picture of education schools in the United States, which turn out an estimated 200,000 graduates annually. She said U.S. programs fail to give students enough practical skills to manage classrooms. The quality of math training for elementary teachers is of “grave, grave concern,” Walsh said, while a lack of consensus on reading instruction has left budding teachers fumbling around to find their own approach.

And, she said, it’s too easy to get into U.S. education schools. Twenty-eight percent of programs nationwide and 31 percent in North Carolina restrict entry to students in the top half of their class, compared to the highest-performing countries which bar admission to all but the top one-third.

“I don’t think the American public realizes just how low the standards are for admission,” Walsh said.
Report: Most teacher ed programs are substandard | Education | NewsObserver.com

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM

334 posts, read 867,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
How many working Americans who are in the field for which they attended college, trained for, and continually train for every year don't have at least some (or all) of those benefits?

Paid vacation? I guess. Most of the time is consumed with mandatory workshops and training. And lesson planning, decorating rooms (a must in elementary...usually out of pocket).

Teaching is a crappy job unless one has free room and board and lives alone with no social life or family obligations.

Wait a minute... Isn't that exactly how it worked in pioneer days?
My 401 K was suspended during the recession and it has yet to be revived. I do not have dental. I know several people that worked full time without a pension plan. IRA's for them if they can afford it. As for early retirement no one I know outside of government 'work'.
Lots of complaining from people who get the full compliment of benefits. Maybe a little more gratitude is in order.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
My 401 K was suspended during the recession and it has yet to be revived. I do not have dental. I know several people that worked full time without a pension plan. IRA's for them if they can afford it. As for early retirement no one I know outside of government 'work'.
Lots of complaining from people who get the full compliment of benefits. Maybe a little more gratitude is in order.
Do you have at minimim a 4-year degree with specialized licensure? Are you allowed to eat lunch alone if you want? Does your employer require you to pull a variety of duty shifts that fall outside your actual job description? Do you carry work home with you every day AND on vacation and weekends because your job requires it? Does your employer decide exactly when you can take time off? Do you find it pretty much impossible to make a doctor's appointment because you cannot leave work and you must be there every weekday?

Do you have to spend hours needing to urinate, yet unable to leave the room to do so...every. single. workday?

If you think teachers should be grateful to have jobs, I cannot disagree with you. The economy is still down.

If you think they should be grateful for substandard wages and benefits? I cannot agree.

And, anyone can retire early if they plan properly. Most teachers I knew who took retirement were forced back to work because they could not support themselves on retirement money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary