Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to the Raleigh area, but I know I definitely do not want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Is this possible? Are the specific zipcodes or areas that I should be focusing on? I'd like to have at least 1/2 acre and a 3/2, spend less than $200. Is this realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM

510 posts, read 901,279 times
we tried to find the same back on '04, but we found that most were older homes on busy roads at that time. There are some neighborhoods without HOA's. I think Sippihaw in Fuquay is one, with prices around $180-$230 and they are on 1/3 acre lots. I'm sure their are others.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
For this the age of the house is more important than zip codes or price point. HOAs started to be required for subdivisions of a certain size by state law back in the 90s. Even if you don't have an HOA there may still be "restrictive covenants" that you will want to review.

You can probably find what you are looking for, but I wouldn't be too fearful of HOAs or covenants. They are not all horror stories like the ones you hear about in the press. Just do your due diligence and you should be fine. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Most of the homes we looked at were NOT in HOA's, though many of them had covenants so I would check into that. Our criteria was a bit different, but a lower price range so I would think that means you could find some too. You'll probably be looking at older houses. We ended up purchasing in a neighborhood with an HOA and have nothing but good things to say.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Thanks--great point about the age of the home. I've lived in areas with and without HOA's and I definitely prefer without.

I also happen to love older homes and established neighborhoods. Oh, and I don't like granite or stainless steel and I'm not overly concerned with "open concept".

Old 07-28-2013, 03:04 PM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thanks--great point about the age of the home. I've lived in areas with and without HOA's and I definitely prefer without.

I also happen to love older homes and established neighborhoods. Oh, and I don't like granite or stainless steel and I'm not overly concerned with "open concept".
Yes. You can find an older 3/2 on 1/2 acre or more for under $200,000, with no HOA. It helps if you don't have a specific commuting requirement.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
There are two types of HOAs. The type that often gets bad press is mandatory HOAs that have clout. Some older neighborhoods like mine (built mostly in the 1980s) have a voluntary HOA with no clout at all, except when it comes to speaking on behalf of the neighborhood when there is a governmental issue like zoning or road-building.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I've recently shown quite a few homes without an HOA. My clients wanted that, after selling their home in a more "cookie cutter" neighborhood.

However, after seeing the homes in areas without an HOA, they decided that wasn't what they wanted either! Too many cars parked in front yards (seriously), too many homes with gravel driveways, too many homes that needed to be power washed on the exterior, too many homes that needed to have their grass cut (some may have needed a tractor instead of a lawn mower).

Their price range was $185,000 to $220,000.

They have settled upon a home that has a HOA but is in an older neighborhood (they wanted at least l/3 acre). They've looked through the covenants and have talked to neighbors about the HOA and have decided this was a happy compromise.

Vicki

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
We've ALWAYS purchased in non-HOA neighborhoods (number one requirement for us!) but they are usually older homes (which we prefer) on larger, mature lots (also preferred).
We're willnig to deal with cars parked on gravel or even grass (the horror!) and can totally deal with front yard gardens, rain barrels, homes needing to be power washed...whatever in order to avoid an HOA.
That's just our preference and the price we are willing to pay to be in a more downtown/centralized area.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,458 times
My house was about 5 years old when I bought it, in a non-HOA neighborhood of about 20 other houses. The neighborhood is kept up surprisingly well for never having an HOA. We have Cary all around us, but we're not in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary