Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM

62 posts, read 127,575 times

Advertisements

Got this E-mail from the Sunset Oaks HOA (never signed out of my newsletter after I moved). Feel bad for those that may be affected by this. I just sold my home in there in June.

Quote:
"The NCDOT has agreed to schedule a meeting on October 7th from 6 to 8 PM at the Sunset Oaks pool clubhouse with the residents of Sunset Oaks. Implementation of the "purple" alternative route for 540 (http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/comple...lternative.pdf) could result in the following and should be addressed at the meeting:

• A minimum of 10 and as many as 40 homes in Sunset Oaks may be removed

• Many homes could be within 300 feet of the highway

• All of our homes will be negatively affected, during the 24 month study period

• The "Orange" route has been protected since the 1990’s, with development deterred on the original planned route

At the meeting, NCDOT staff and/or consultants on this project will be there to present information and to answer questions about the 540 project. This meeting is in addition to the October 16th public meeting at the Holly Springs High School cafeteria from 6-9 pm. Holly Springs Town staff will also be in attendance.

Please be aware neighbors will be going door to door within the next weeks prior to the October 16th meeting providing additional information and request your signature on a petition."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
The NCDOT staff also did this for the residents of my neighborhood when the Red Route was proposed. It would have plowed right through our neighborhood and would have had the same effect as the purple route on Sunset Oaks. We were actually invited to their offices on Glenwood Ave. to express our concerns. We also went door to door with a petition for residents to sign. I seriously doubt any of that makes a difference to NCDOT where the road will end up.

My opinion is that the route chosen will be the original Orange route, with the only possible deviation being the Lilac portion south of Garner. I don't think that the residents along the purple or blue have anything to worry about.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,473 times
You know...at one time I was upset about all of the new stores/restaurants coming on my side of town...but I'll take that over 540 any day of the week. Especially looking at the potential interchanges...UGH!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,884,531 times
Unfortunately, development progress comes with a price. This whole 540 project is still up in the air with nothing final yet so I would agree with the others posters on that aspect....but somebody's going to be affected eventually.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
I don't see how the Purple and Lilac routes could damage the environment any more than the Orange route.
And, I thought the endangered Dwarf Mussel was found in the area east of where the Lilac route and Orange route split, from about Sauls Rd to I-40.

And with DOT acquiring corridor tracts over the years that fall in the Orange route, I just don't see any material benefit to swinging south on the Purple/Lilac route. I guess that is why we have studies.
And I guess one could make an argument that taking the road further south would offer better access and transportation options to S Wake County and reduce 540 redundancy with the I-40 Beltline along S Raleigh.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My opinion is that the route chosen will be the original Orange route, with the only possible deviation being the Lilac portion south of Garner. I don't think that the residents along the purple or blue have anything to worry about.
Except for the giant cloud hanging over their property values until this thing is finally sorted out and all the sure-to-follow litigation is resolved.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 91,242 times
So does the purple route follow Pierce Olive Rd right along Sunset Oaks ?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM

46 posts, read 91,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&AmandainNC View Post
Got this E-mail from the Sunset Oaks HOA (never signed out of my newsletter after I moved). Feel bad for those that may be affected by this. I just sold my home in there in June.
What streets in Sunset Oaks would have houses at risk for being demolished? That seems crazy!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And with DOT acquiring corridor tracts over the years that fall in the Orange route, I just don't see any material benefit to swinging south on the Purple/Lilac route. I guess that is why we have studies.
And I guess one could make an argument that taking the road further south would offer better access and transportation options to S Wake County and reduce 540 redundancy with the I-40 Beltline along S Raleigh.
You probably know more about this than I do, given your profession, but I'd be interested to see what the population densities were when the orange route was drawn up vs. today.

My first pass at the map says that the purple route would serve more people (FV and points south).

Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Except for the giant cloud hanging over their property values until this thing is finally sorted out and all the sure-to-follow litigation is resolved.
Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary