Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

Great news!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
That's good news!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
I would suggest you come up with a solution where you can document that you handed the rent check in on the day and time you did, otherwise this situation can arise again.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
So glad this is working out in your favor. The university is the bread and butter of apartment complexes around here and they cannot afford to offend anybody. However I am aware that some students are constantly late with rent checks and it makes it difficult for property managers to do their jobs.

Try the online banking as suggested. We have used it for years and only rarely write checks. it is the best way to pay all your bills. Also try Mint.com to keep track of your financial affairs.

https://www.mint.com/

Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Congratulations on your problem being worked out, and I complement you on fighting the injustice rather than just paying the $50.
I have had similar problems with proving when the check was provided and now do it all on-line from my bank.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

645 posts, read 988,985 times
Right on, Leo! Glad this worked out!

Follow the advice of several posters above. Document everything. Make sure you have proof. Pay rent online. Take photos of your place. Read your lease very, very carefully and if you don't understand something, get someone who can explain it to you.

Good luck with everything.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 PM

33 posts, read 63,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you and that you feel she is disrespecting you.

But look at the calendar. October 4th is a Friday. I'm going to guess that you deposited the check in there late in the day, the office was closed over the weekend (or they don't collect the checks until Monday), and they believe you dropped the check on Monday, October 7th before they arrived. Not a cool thing for them to do, but YOU need to do more to assure that you have proof that you've paid the rent on time.

As far as her disrespecting you, I've had experience as an HR manager where we employed foreign born employees, usually Chinese. Other staff, managers and even clients complained they were "difficult" to work with. After some discussion, it was discovered that the "difficulty" was due to the challenge of understanding what the Chinese employees were saying. Their ACCENT made it difficult for the US born people to communicate. It was frustrating and time consuming for both sides of the discussion.
And when the staff or clients were stressed or under a deadline, they did not have patience with the situation. (I don't agree with this deal at all, but it is the way it is.)
Jkgourmet, I can't beleive that you are a HR Manager. At least HR Manager should have little better perspective on thing. The is the response you could come with after all. You should be ashamed for your response. Show some respect. Do not hire anyone who does not fit your requirment.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:31 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
First check your bank to see when the check was deposited. If you are going to complain to management try to find a native English speaker to plead your case. When I go out for Chinese food I expect to comprehend about every 3rd word. ;-) This is a common limitation for Americans. Get used to it.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 PM

292 posts, read 507,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
First check your bank to see when the check was deposited. If you are going to complain to management try to find a native English speaker to plead your case. When I go out for Chinese food I expect to comprehend about every 3rd word. ;-) This is a common limitation for Americans. Get used to it.
My earlier advice about only dealing with management via e-mail does solve this issue in a easier way, especially since the original poster's written grammar is clear and understandable, and has the added benefit of a self-documenting trail of what's been said. Most apartment managers are used to this, and if they are legitimate professionals, probably prefer it because it covers them as well.

Things like foreign or regional accents can only get in the way in a conflict; not only accents but individual traits and mannerisms, even between Americans. E-mail communication solves that problem by eliminating the subjective personality differences and helping to keep a professional focus on what's really on the table.

I think the practice of dealing with contractual things solely over the phone or via in-person contact died out decades ago.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,455 times
Find out if they have security camera near your payment box or at entrance of the office. Get the video if available. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary