Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWLIFE8 View Post
AWWWWW be nice I can't wait until I get there so I can tease the people here about enduring another cold midwestern winter!
Just be mighty doggone sure you leave that cold mid-western winter there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

44 posts, read 178,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Just be mighty doggone sure you leave that cold mid-western winter there!
I've been trying to leave this weather behind for years. I'm originally from Chicago-born and raised and I just can't get used to the cold

Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
The weather here has been in the late 60's all week!

Yeah, keep the snow. We don't want it.

Oh, one of my favorite parts of living out here, the beach is about an hour and a half away.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Holler when you get here. I gotta friend here selling her house and thinking of moving to Milwaukee, no kidding.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Holler when you get here. I gotta friend here selling her house and thinking of moving to Milwaukee, no kidding.
Tell her if she comes here, she'll want to run back. Milwaukee isn't getting any better; it's getting really bad.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
The weather here has been in the late 60's all week!

Yeah, keep the snow. We don't want it.

Oh, one of my favorite parts of living out here, the beach is about an hour and a half away.
What I like is the 'year round' back yards they have. I can always put the kids in the back yard! It could be December, phone call 'hey, where's the kids' ME: 'back yard' THEM: 'but isn't it cold' ME: 'they have on coats' I think when we arrive, that's the first place I'm sending them-back yard. We're leaving at night so we'll get there during the day.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

214 posts, read 663,631 times
I looked up Strickland on google maps. It's not as nice as other areas of Smithfield, but that's not to say that it's bad. If I were renting for a few months while I looked for a house, I'd have no problems. If I were considering a place to live permanently, I don't think I'd choose that area.

**Keep in mind, that I'm not familiar with that exact street - just the overall area. While there are some very nice neighborhoods/subdivisions in that area, the area as a whole isn't as nice as other areas.

Where will you be working? If you're working in Raleigh, you will be looking at about a 45 to 60 minute drive.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
I looked up Strickland on google maps. It's not as nice as other areas of Smithfield, but that's not to say that it's bad. If I were renting for a few months while I looked for a house, I'd have no problems. If I were considering a place to live permanently, I don't think I'd choose that area.

**Keep in mind, that I'm not familiar with that exact street - just the overall area. While there are some very nice neighborhoods/subdivisions in that area, the area as a whole isn't as nice as other areas.

Where will you be working? If you're working in Raleigh, you will be looking at about a 45 to 60 minute drive.
Thanks jello for your reply. Hopefully the landlord will allow me a shorter term lease. I asked for an application. I'll probably be off work for at least a month or so so I can really look around and decide where I want to work. The commute probably won't bother me. When I lived in Chicago my job moved to Niles, IL and it was about an hour commute. Two buses and a train when I didn't have a car, so I got a lot of extra sleep in the morningI plan to go to school and maybe just work part-time. I'll keep looking though; maybe I'll find something a little more decent.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 AM

131 posts, read 445,724 times
I am a mother w/ multiracial children. I wouldn't live in Smithfield, which was the KKK capital of NC. You may want to try Clayton, which is before Smithfield (in between Raleigh and Smithfield) if race is a concern for you. Smithfield is too redneck for me. Clayton has smoothed out nicely from it's redneck roots. The whole area is growing by leaps and bounds.

I also noticed that Smithfield is starting to get pricey, i'm shocked. You used to be able to rent a big house out there for 600 bucks, now they're like 800-900!!!! I'm not sure about the job market????? I can only imagine it's not great (mostly retail). You'll have to work in Raleigh, once they get the 70 bypass done in Clayton (next year) it won't be so bad for you. If you're used to traffic in Chicago, by the time you total up the time from Smithfield to Raleigh, then fight Raleigh traffic, it will be the same. If you get a better paying job out at RTP you're looking at 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30 commute.

I'd look at Clayton area too. They've doubled in size in the last two years, but there are still some country feeling developments between Clayton and Knightdale (off Smithfield Road) that may take the edge off the commute to Raleigh. There are a few pharmaceutical companies going out toward Smithfield, so you may want to see what positions they offer (not sure about your work hx).

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
I am a mother w/ multiracial children. I wouldn't live in Smithfield, which was the KKK capital of NC. You may want to try Clayton, which is before Smithfield (in between Raleigh and Smithfield) if race is a concern for you. Smithfield is too redneck for me. Clayton has smoothed out nicely from it's redneck roots. The whole area is growing by leaps and bounds.

I also noticed that Smithfield is starting to get pricey, i'm shocked. You used to be able to rent a big house out there for 600 bucks, now they're like 800-900!!!! I'm not sure about the job market????? I can only imagine it's not great (mostly retail). You'll have to work in Raleigh, once they get the 70 bypass done in Clayton (next year) it won't be so bad for you. If you're used to traffic in Chicago, by the time you total up the time from Smithfield to Raleigh, then fight Raleigh traffic, it will be the same. If you get a better paying job out at RTP you're looking at 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30 commute.

I'd look at Clayton area too. They've doubled in size in the last two years, but there are still some country feeling developments between Clayton and Knightdale (off Smithfield Road) that may take the edge off the commute to Raleigh. There are a few pharmaceutical companies going out toward Smithfield, so you may want to see what positions they offer (not sure about your work hx).
Thanks for the info. We're an African American family, so that info you gave as important. I myself, don't have a problem getting along with any race of people, however, we have to keep on praying for those that do. The owner just emailed me and said the house was only 1,000 square feet. That's a little bit too small with four kids, so I'm going to pass. However I did get another email from a really nice guy. A reverend owns the house. So I'm waiting to get more info and it's cheaper. The Smithfield house was $700 per month, this is $600, but I hope it's a little bigger than 1,000 square feet. Do you know anything about Aiken Rd.? This is another house I was interested in, it's in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary