Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 AM

4 posts, read 24,805 times

Advertisements

I am highly considering LASIK and I have already had one consultation with Lasik Plus but wanted to "shop around" (not for prices but I want to find the best doctor if I decide to go through with this).

I wasn't too impressed with Lasik Plus. A technician did all of my basic tests and the opthamologist sounded like he was reading from cue cards, especially when he said 'congratulations, you are a candidate for lasik surgery' and then went on and on monotonously. (it was really weird) I felt like I could have left the room and he wouldn't have noticed. Plus I was very disappointed that I didn't even have the opportunity to meet the surgeon that was actually going to do my surgery. They were also putting the pressure on big time for me to make an appointment (like seriously telling me how much money I could save if I had the surgery the next day). Since then, they've called me, emailed me and sent me a card in the mail (my appointment was just this past Thursday). I qualified for 0% financing and now I'm getting this stupid "care card" in the mail...just what I need..another credit card. The surgery was going to cost around $3500 for both eyes using their "custom" wavefront LASIK technique (with my BCBSNC discount of 15%).

Should I wait to have this done? Anyone know of any new technology coming out soon that is worth waiting for? I also have pretty large pupils and I'm worried about having night glares/halos. Any info is appreciated.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
I had mine done in Massachusetts at The Laser Eye Center, The have a location in the triangle. Truthfully at this point the surgeon is the machine, and the doctor is there to make sure things go smoothly. (I'm sure a actual eye surgeon would disagree with my assessment, but really I was impressed with the technology)

BTW...If you already had the test where they dilated your eyes to look into you pupils, you've already done the hardest part. The day on the surgery was zero pain.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Be careful. One of my colleagues here in NC had a series of mishaps from his LASIK procedure that caused permanent damage/distortion to his vision. Vision is not something you want to play around with.

I have heard satisfactory reports from friends who got the procedure done at the Laser Eye Center.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:26 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I had mine done about 4 years ago at TLC Vision. I was very pleased with the pre-work, the procedure, the results, and the follow-up. The price was a bit higher than some other places, but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Considering I have only one set of eyes, I was willing to pay. A bonus with TLC is that they have a large national network of offices and enhancements are free if needed at any office in the TLC network.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Go to Duke. I had mine done with Dr. Terry Kim, and it has been great. They are some of the pioneers in LASIK and other corrective eye procedures. It cost more than most places, but eye surgery isn't something you want to get on a discount.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 12,377 times
I had mine don by Dean Dornic at laser Eye Center of NC in Cary, and was quite pleased (I was almost too nearsighted to qualify)

Dr. Dean Dornic - Providing Exceptional LASIK Surgery in Cary, NC

Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Be very sure you will accept the risk before having surgery on healthy eyes.

Most folks do fine but a bad outcome can be a lifetime tragedy.

Look what just happened with the plastic surgery on the rapper's mom. Vanity may not be worth the risk.

In any surgery, you're rolling the dice. People have become way too complacent about surgery these days and our FDA isn't really protecting us.

Good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I had Lasik by Dr. Kim at Duke. I've been very happy with the results.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM

131 posts, read 726,213 times
I had LASIK about 4 years ago by Dr. James Bryan at Carolina Opthalmology in Chapel Hill. I have to say that I was impressed by his expertise and his staff in everything that they did. I am extremely pleased with the results. Before surgery, I also had an evaluation at Duke and was not as impressed. I will also say that my particular surgery required more expertise than the norm because my vision was extremely bad. I was not about to trust my eyes to just anyone. Dr. Bryan said I was one of his worst cases and my results were amazing. He really knows his stuff and he will not rest until you are happy with your vision. Go to Carolina2020.com for their website.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Dr. Kelly - Raleigh - Rex Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary