Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,421 times

Advertisements

I don't think people understand how incredible cheap the cost of the networking is in comparison to how much they make in revenue. There are ports in card left turned down because they are trying to make extort money out of other ISP's. This isn't about businesses struggling to survive, it's about businesses struggle for dominance over a market/service and consumers are left in the lurch.

Those modems they charge you 6 bux a month MAYBE cost TWC 10 bux.

Last edited by zinner; 01-29-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
The town of Hillsborough just posted on their website:

The Town of Hillsborough welcomes the ultra-fast network connections that Google Fiber is bringing to the Triangle; however, the town is not among the communities receiving this service.

The town has been in communication with Google and is open to finding ways to receive a fiber-optic network for increased broadband service within the community. At this time, no plans exist for service from Google Fiber. Competitors offering ultra-fast Internet connections may be an option for the town.

Google Fiber will be provided in the following Triangle locations: Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville and Raleigh.

In Hillsborough, Orange County government is working with Time Warner Cable to provide wireless Internet service to a portion of the downtown. Service is planned for the Churton Street corridor between the Eno River and Tryon Street. The county and town also are discussing expanding the service to other common spaces around town that would benefit from public wireless access points.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
One hopes that, if nothing else, the competition from Google Fiber in certain local markets will force TWC to step up their game everywhere in the region, so that towns like Hillsborough will still receive some benefit.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
I thought about starting a new thread on this, but decided it was still on topic:

My question: From a home value POV, does it make sense to get the connection, even if you don't plan to use it? I'm thinking that for $300, the selling value (to be able to say "Google Fiber connected") alone might be worth it later. Realtors, what are your thoughts?

I'm probably getting it one way or the other, but this question got my curiosity going.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:53 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I thought about starting a new thread on this, but decided it was still on topic:

My question: From a home value POV, does it make sense to get the connection, even if you don't plan to use it? I'm thinking that for $300, the selling value (to be able to say "Google Fiber connected") alone might be worth it later. Realtors, what are your thoughts?

I'm probably getting it one way or the other, but this question got my curiosity going.
I would expect that many other things would be a higher priority for $300 to improve appeal.
Having it at the curb would be a plus for sale, but getting value from the $300? Not so much, and not if you didn't care about using it for yourself.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I think being able to hook up to it is most important. $300 in paint will go much further for resale than fiber.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I thought that you have to hook it up when they offer it to your fiberhood, and that you won't necessarily be able to go back and get it hooked up later. If that is the case, I would think you should go ahead and just do it when you can.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I thought that you have to hook it up when they offer it to your fiberhood, and that you won't necessarily be able to go back and get it hooked up later. If that is the case, I would think you should go ahead and just do it when you can.
Yes, if that is the case, I would agree.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
THIS was the point of my question. After the fact, either you have it or you don't, if I understand correctly.

I'll get it because I'd rather have Google for $25x12 vs TWC for $41+ x Eternity. (So it's worth it on it's own merit, I just wonder if it's another plus for signing up?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
You raise a great point, MyGhost. Since the fiberhood efforts will come through "once" (at least for the foreseeable future), getting the $300 install run to your house makes sense even if you stay with your current provider, for a few reasons:

- Resale: I actually DO think this will be a big issue for resale over the near future, for at least as long as Google has price/service/technology/prestige advantage;

- Backup: DSL or cable out? You've got a paid-for backup internet option;

- Caps: if your main provider implements usage caps, move the Netflix to Google

- Competitive switching: TWC or AT&T gonna raise your promotional rate? Show them a photo of your Google Fiber connection and be better prepared to walk.

Personally, I like saving on bills where I can. We've pared our TWC rates down with Earthlink. I've kicked Verizon to the curb and have two lines on AT&T LTE with Cricket (which, btw, is hands-down the best value in cell phones out there.)

But broadband? I fully intend to sign up for 1G symmetric cap-free fiber when I can. If I still want to be a cord-cutter, I have a Mohu antenna with Simple.TV, Netflix, Hulu and am trying Sling. Those will all work GREAT over Google Fiber. And in fact, with 1G uploads, I can stream Simple.TV to my mountain house and dump cable there. So, cost savings abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary