Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM

360 posts, read 516,948 times

Advertisements

In general, what's the deal with the overflow schools? (Are they typically just as good as the base school you're not making it into?)

I'm in a similar situation potentially.. I will register my child for K while renting and they will be assigned for school A. We then plan to buy in the summer, so ideally they would be reassigned to neighborhood school B. However, if B were capped, I think they'd be sent to overflow school C. If we offered to drive them to school A could they just stay in it?

My kid doesn't do so well with change and is a bit shy, so being transferred to a new school between K and 1st grade would be really hard on him. As hard as I try I just don't see a way around it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
as of now, yes. Once a child is enrolled in school A< if you're willing to give transportation should you move out of the area, then they can stay in that school.

Since it will be 3 years before the schools we just passed a bond for are actually built, I wouldn't bet the farm on it staying that way though.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 PM

Okay, thanks.

So is the overflow school typically the next closest? Or could it be pretty far away?

Does anyone know if it's typically easier to get into the year round or the traditional schools?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
Okay, thanks.

So is the overflow school typically the next closest? Or could it be pretty far away?

Does anyone know if it's typically easier to get into the year round or the traditional schools?
The overflow schools can be a mixed bag I think. I'm moving this summer and stayed away from Holly Springs (which is where we wanted to live) because all the schools are capped, and the overflow options are all in Fuquay Varina. In other areas the overflow options may be totally acceptable, though -- here is a list of capped schools and their overflows for next year:

http://www.wcpss.net/about-us/our-le...nt-capping.pdf

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,776 times
Quote:
Okay, thanks.

Our elementary school is capped and our overflow was a 30-45 minute bus ride each way.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Our elementary school is capped and our overflow was a 30-45 minute bus ride each way.
WOW! I'm sorry. Did you eventually move back to the capped school? Did it work out okay or were you disappointed?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,776 times
Quote:
WOW! I'm sorry. Did you eventually move back to the capped school? Did it work out okay or were you disappointed?
We knew it was a possibility when we bought so it wasn't a surprise. As a public school product it pains me to say we are going private because the uncertainty in wake is hard to take. We are hoping our base opens next year and we can get back in for 1st grade.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
We knew it was a possibility when we bought so it wasn't a surprise. As a public school product it pains me to say we are going private because the uncertainty in wake is hard to take. We are hoping our base opens next year and we can get back in for 1st grade.
Thanks for sharing! Sorry to hear that. :/

I'm keeping that as a back up plan, too. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 PM

70 posts, read 141,610 times
Our base school is not capped or near "full". We have applied for a transfer to another nearby school. What happens if the transfer is denied (possible, it is in Holly Springs)...do we go back to the base school? Will he be wait listed? If so, can we choose to be taken off the list?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 PM

554 posts, read 1,155,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScNcMom View Post
Our base school is not capped or near "full". We have applied for a transfer to another nearby school. What happens if the transfer is denied (possible, it is in Holly Springs)...do we go back to the base school? Will he be wait listed? If so, can we choose to be taken off the list?
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

A wait list will be maintained for students who participate in the magnet/application schools or early transfer periods and are not selected for their first choice. Parents can remove their student from any wait list prior to the wait list processing dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary