Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This post made me wonder if panhandling income is subject to state/federal income tax and not part of the exemption that people are allowed for gifts of up to a certain amount.

Considering the state's recent pressure on Amazon to add sales tax and the direction things seem to be heading with other issues, my guess is the answer is yes.
Many years ago, there was a special on with Walter Jacobson. He went undercover as a homeless person to learn more about their subculture and how things work. His findings were really interesting. I tried to find it, with no luck. Suffice it to say, almost all of the money received was untaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
We get people pulling this scam all the time in the Costco parking lot in Raleigh. We have had members come in saying they are being harrassed at the gas station for money or people just roaming the lot looking to ask people. Our management doesn't stand for it and will ask the people to leave. It's private property.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
I was getting my oil changed one time and was sitting in the waiting room. While there, some guy walked in and helped himself to a cup of coffee (for the customers) and asked me for some money for a "sammich".

The counter guy saw him ask me, but didn't say anything. So I said "look, there's a BK next door and I haven't had anything to eat yet. Why don't we go over there and I'll get something and a "sammich" for you."

The guy said "no, you're busy, how about a couple of bucks and I'll get my own sammich?". I said "it's no problem, let's go on over and get some food". Then, he started to get insistent and irate. "no, I don't want to bother you, I can get something for myself". ____counter guy, still watching the exchange, but saying nothing_______

I said "I'm not giving you any money, but since you're hungry, I'd be glad to get some extra for you". . . then he got threatening. . . (all while still inside of the the quick-lube waiting room!). "look, just give me some money".

Then I said "NO". Then he squared off with me. That was enough. I looked him in the eye and squared off with him and said--very quietly--that it was clear that he wan't hungry, but instead wanted money. I told him to move on and if he were to see me anywhere else in town, to just avoid me and go the other way. He then left.

These types of incidents just make me more jaded about helping anyone. And for that, I feel sorry for the few who NEED it. I'm almost more inclined to help people who look like they need it, but don't want to even ask for it. . .

Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
I've been harassed by panhandlers enough on Franklin St in Chapel Hill, that I now hate going there. They are aggressive, mean, and overly abundant. Begging, holding a sign, and threatening people for money are not the same thing. In my eyes, it's called robbery!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
There were some folks rather aggressively collecting money at Tryon and Walnut St today for 'Life Church' (walking from car to car, almost to the point of disrupting traffic) - I refused. Felt bad, but I found it interesting that I was so put off by the aggressiveness of it that it made it easier not to give. So I suppose it wasn't an individual asking for gas, but it reminded me of this thread..
Thus my reason for having what I call "New York thick skin". You have to steel yourself against these requests when you live in larger cities because otherwise you get overwhelmed.

I'm also biased against people who can stand on their feet for eight hours a day begging (showing up to the same spot like clockwork, often dressed in a presentable manner); why can't they find work? When I worked catering a lifetime ago our kitchen crews were comprised of people who often came from questionable situations, some who were even admitted drug users. And yes, I realize that many of the beggars suffer from mental illness so it's not that simple, but even so...

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
There were some folks rather aggressively collecting money at Tryon and Walnut St today for 'Life Church' (walking from car to car, almost to the point of disrupting traffic) - I refused. Felt bad, but I found it interesting that I was so put off by the aggressiveness of it that it made it easier not to give. So I suppose it wasn't an individual asking for gas, but it reminded me of this thread..
New Life Church? There are many, but some out-of-town scammers by that name are known for that schtick...collecting money at intersections.

Reality Check: New Life Church - YouTube

Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
My children are very curious about these panhandlers. We see them every weekend. I've explained to them how some people mislead the public about money that is raised and it does not go directly to the people who need it. I let them see how we help individuals with food drives, donations to animal shelters, gifts to thrift shops etc so they know we are generous people but we all have to make wise decisions about our charitable giving.

DH says he is harassed almost every time he gets gas. And it happens all over the country.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,881 times
Quote:
I live right near this intersection and passed through it multiple times yesterday. The charity changed from New Life Church, to a charity that helps bail people out of jail, to a donation service for a kid named "Jose". These people were extremely agressive to the point of literally pounding on my window after I had already said no thank you to making a donation. The man was yelling and asking why I didn't want to help Jesus! It made me furious and I almost called the police.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 AM

821 posts, read 1,463,218 times
Wow, redjul. Yes, I was surprised they were there, I thought Cary was pretty strict about that (though it may be outside of their town limits). One stood directly in front of my car (though the light was red), and I just shook my head 'no'.
I often see folks at the I-40/Hwy 54 intersections, and as much as I want to help...
I knew some people who always carried cracker packs with them and handed those out - though it sounds like any interaction might be a bad idea (from some of the posts here!).

Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
It's also illegal to solicit from rights-of-way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary