Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

well...you are right with to each his own. But it's not like every day from october thru march was below feezing with snow on the ground....especially on the outer fringes of that time period. I definitly wouldn't call October winter. But again I guess that's subjective.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 496,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Racially, no problem. Now economics is a big issue. Too many high income transplants drive up prices hurting us longtime residents and our kids.

I'll take illegals from south of the border over yuppies any day. The illegals don't make it difficult for working people to live here.

Gentrification is a major threat to many areas.
So here is the thing. While I agree that the "northern" people come with their money from selling their house and drive the house prices up, to some extent. My house price fell so hard for the past 2 years, it still hasnt stopped falling yet. I am planning on selling it for less than what I paid for.

Having said that, Raleigh market started to stablilize or fall now. So I dont think it would be a problem, meaning we are not driving the prices up anymore. As far as the job market, most of the ones I know where job transfers. Most of my friends brought the job with them. If I chose not to move to raleigh my job would have stayed in NE, right here in boston. So I disagree with that statement.

So you would prefer the illegals to come over there with no documents, dont pay any taxes, drive the low end job market down where do you think the locals with no major skills will go?. You are talking like McCain now. Funny you would want to stop your own legal country men and welcome the illegals across the border with open arms.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM

144 posts, read 496,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
well...you are right with to each his own. But it's not like every day from october thru march was below feezing with snow on the ground....especially on the outer fringes of that time period. I definitly wouldn't call October winter. But again I guess that's subjective.
Yup, this winter it was. But for some occasional days he hit 40s (we called them beach days). The last winter was not so bad so I was not that driven to move. It comes in cycles. This year was particularly bad. All the towns ran out of money to clean snow. So adding to the misery was uncleaned, unsalted roads as the contractors were not paid in time. That drove our propery taxes up to make up for it. aaarrgghh.

I am not saying Raleigh doesnt have its own issues. I weighed them both and after much research it is better sutied for me. Warmer weather is just a bonus. My brand new clubs went to hiding last september when the courses shut down up here. I lugged them twice down to raleigh for a round or two.

And, just out of curiosity, you are not from raleigh, dont want to move there, and dont like it there but I see you frequent the Raleigh message boards and defend your position. What attracts you there?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Racially, no problem. Now economics is a big issue. Too many high income transplants drive up prices hurting us longtime residents and our kids.

I'll take illegals from south of the border over yuppies any day. The illegals don't make it difficult for working people to live here.

Gentrification is a major threat to many areas.
It's called how a free market economy works. Make more money if you don't like it.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
my only thing is that raleigh is such a boring and average place. there is really nothing wrong with it, it just lacks character. it isn't a big city, it is several medium sized cities jumbled together. it just makes for a lot of traffic without the atmosphere of a large city. if you are a young family who wants to go to chili's on a friday night, then raleigh is the place for you. the cost of living is excellent. there are a lot of job in the area as well. there is good and bad about each area.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I'd say that's a very fair and IMO accurate description. I don't know if I'd call it "such a boring place"...but I would agree it doesn't have that big city feel and lacks a lot of charecter and identity that even cities with the same or smaller populations have. It is an "easy" place to live though, and that's what I think a lot of people who move there look for. Because the area doesn't really have that much special identity, it is a lot easier for more people to feel they "fit in".

Old 03-24-2008, 01:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's called how a free market economy works. Make more money if you don't like it.
Good if you can. Tell that to our police, firefighters, sanitation workers, teachers and correction officers who are not well paid in the South.

The last few new apt communities to open here in non-classy areas of North Raleigh, Millbrook Green and Alta Verde, are sponsored by outside firms and are priced at the yuppie level. This isn't how this area used to be.

See yuppie perks like $4.00 valet parking at local shopping centers. Not the way Raleigh once was.

McMansions have sprung up on Millbrook Road as infill.

We need these people like a hole in the head.

I'm no friend of illegals, but they don't directly screw up my life.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 AM

28 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So what is your objective...to get everyone in the North to move to the South? That isn't very wise.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 AM

28 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You don't actually expect to be taken seriously with that answer, do you?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
You don't actually expect to be taken seriously with that answer, do you?
You are so right, TarHeeler.

Not everybody can become highly paid, but we need good plumbers as much as we need techies. Both are essential to our well-being.

Sounds very elitist to flippantly tell working folks to just transform themselves to yuppies so they can stay in their hometown when all homes turn to McMansions on HOA protected cul-de-sacs.

If Immigration could deport the yuppies back to NY, NJ, and CA, that would be a blessing to all but the greedy politicians and developers making a fortune ruining one area after another.

Raleigh was a lower middle class haven where government and tradespeople could live in dignity. Let's hope it never becomes like Nassau County (LI) New York or similar, now gentrified, areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary