Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,090,580 times

Advertisements

Every plumber I know north and south of the Mason-Dixon line, makes awfully good money. I'm not sure how it would be ok for a plumber to move down there rather than a techie because there are plenty of plumbers living in "McMansions" as well.

I think your point is that you like things fine the way they are and perceive any more influx of people moving to the area (most likely from the Northeast) as damaging to what once was Raleigh.

Well, Boston was a different town years back when I was a college student. But then the explosion of the high tech hardware companies such as Wang, etc., hit the area and it became outrageously expensive to live here and people flocked here for highly paid jobs. The Silicon Valley had the same experience. As did the Silicon Forest, up in Washington State.

There must have been a reason that RTP was built so long ago. There was an incentive for companies to do business there.

It just seems odd that some people would welcome illegal immigrants over tax paying relocating Yankees.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,797 times
My dad is a plumber in MA and gave up his plumbing business. He was sick of spending so much of the awfully good money he earned on rising fuel and insurance cost for his business. Of course people always dropped their jaw after they were quoted his hourly charge. They must have thought he was pocketing all of it.

And my cousin is a licensed plumber in FL. It is a joke when I think about how little he gets paid.

I cannot speak for NC plumbers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Every plumber I know north and south of the Mason-Dixon line, makes awfully good money. I'm not sure how it would be ok for a plumber to move down there rather than a techie because there are plenty of plumbers living in "McMansions" as well.

I think your point is that you like things fine the way they are and perceive any more influx of people moving to the area (most likely from the Northeast) as damaging to what once was Raleigh.

Well, Boston was a different town years back when I was a college student. But then the explosion of the high tech hardware companies such as Wang, etc., hit the area and it became outrageously expensive to live here and people flocked here for highly paid jobs. The Silicon Valley had the same experience. As did the Silicon Forest, up in Washington State.

There must have been a reason that RTP was built so long ago. There was an incentive for companies to do business there.

It just seems odd that some people would welcome illegal immigrants over tax paying relocating Yankees.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM

144 posts, read 496,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Exactly my point. I understand if you want stability by reducing the yankee relocation. But choosing illegals over tax paying, law abiding, fellow country men is really strange.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking.
Yeah...I'd say probably one of the more ridiculous points of starting a new thread I've seen. "Oh gee...Hey everyone up north, you should all move down to this goldmine with perfect weather in the south..because that sure wouldn't completely ruin BOTH regions or anything!"

Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
I was using plumbers and illegals as hypothetical examples.

As others have discerned, my point is that having wealthy people come here in droves inflates prices and hurts the lower paid folks who were the backbone of Raleigh for years.

Illegals keep to themselves and don't pay outrageous prices that attract greedy carpetbagging developers who aim at the higher price points.

Having seen the effect of gentrification on many areas, it seems that residents should do everything possible to keep it from spreading to our area any worse than at present.

There are plenty of overpriced areas waiting for these well paid folks but not enough decent places for those of our populace that aren't fortunate enough to have the high paying skills.

Perhaps discouraging the migration of businesses might stem the flow just like arresting the johns cuts the number of prostitutes that serve them.

I have no ill will against anyone but am disgusted to see so many people running here like it's Mecca.

If tech busts out as it did a few years ago, the unfunded services required by these new residents will drag us all down with them. Impact fees would at least mitigate the damage by not leaving taxpayers on the hook if the newcomers get laid off and run.

Hope this doesn't occur to anyone since I've been wiped out by a layoff in New Orleans and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

I'm actually a nice guy but love my community the way it is.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yeah...I'd say probably one of the more ridiculous points of starting a new thread I've seen. "Oh gee...Hey everyone up north, you should all move down to this goldmine with perfect weather in the south..because that sure wouldn't completely ruin BOTH regions or anything!"
Well, you do know, whether you like it or not, Money Magazine rates Raleigh, as one of the best places to live, for many years in a row right?. You think this thread, which is mostly visited by either people from Raleigh, or the ones who already decided to move, it going to motivate more people than the Money magazine columns?. Recently Forbes also listed this place as a best place to live, work and to find better jobs (and last year as well). Now how are you planning to stop them in trying to motivate people to move?
newsobserver.com | Raleigh gets top rating from Forbes (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1006599.html - broken link)

Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Saturnfan - didn't you originally go to Raleigh from the North to seek a better life? I think that is what we are all doing. My goal is for nicer weather, nicer people, more relaxed way of life - definitley not money. Both husband and myself will actually make less money down there. We really don't care due to all the reasons I've stated above. Life up here is difficult - not just weatherwise and pennywise. We all want what is best for our families.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Saturnfan - didn't you originally go to Raleigh from the North to seek a better life? I think that is what we are all doing. My goal is for nicer weather, nicer people, more relaxed way of life - definitley not money. Both husband and myself will actually make less money down there. We really don't care due to all the reasons I've stated above. Life up here is difficult - not just weatherwise and pennywise. We all want what is best for our families.
He is from North?. I couldnt have guessed reading his posts...hmmmm...

Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,797 times
Illegals don't keep to themselves. They take jobs and bring down wages in some fields -- like landscaping!!!

You are from the Northeast just like many of us are, just via New Orleans. I would have come 20 years ago. But I was still in high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I was using plumbers and illegals as hypothetical examples.

As others have discerned, my point is that having wealthy people come here in droves inflates prices and hurts the lower paid folks who were the backbone of Raleigh for years.

Illegals keep to themselves and don't pay outrageous prices that attract greedy carpetbagging developers who aim at the higher price points.

Having seen the effect of gentrification on many areas, it seems that residents should do everything possible to keep it from spreading to our area any worse than at present.

There are plenty of overpriced areas waiting for these well paid folks but not enough decent places for those of our populace that aren't fortunate enough to have the high paying skills.

Perhaps discouraging the migration of businesses might stem the flow just like arresting the johns cuts the number of prostitutes that serve them.

I have no ill will against anyone but am disgusted to see so many people running here like it's Mecca.

If tech busts out as it did a few years ago, the unfunded services required by these new residents will drag us all down with them. Impact fees would at least mitigate the damage by not leaving taxpayers on the hook if the newcomers get laid off and run.

Hope this doesn't occur to anyone since I've been wiped out by a layoff in New Orleans and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

I'm actually a nice guy but love my community the way it is.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandy View Post
He is from North?. I couldnt have guessed reading his posts...hmmmm...
Was that really necessary?

Funny how those who point out rudeness with sweeping generalizations end up as rude or more rude than the person they were originally discussing.

Love,
A former northerner

(this sort of thing is why I posted in the other thread about how this board makes people feel unwelcome. I've come to hate this board to be honest with you, yet I can't tear myself away. Kind of like with cigarettes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary