Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Hasn't it always been the case that TWC requires a separate modem for digital phone, and that it is provided without a separate charge?
Well, now that you mention it...
Yes, we have a phone modem. It is at the Missus' Work Station, where I venture with trepidation. So, I forgot.

more coffee now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 AM

95 posts, read 131,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I should know better than to apply logic here, as TWC can be difficult to understand .... but surely they wouldn't install a modem today knowing they will have to roll a truck and replace it in a month to support the new bandwidth?

Frank
My suspicion is that, unless asked, TWC just wouldn't replace it at all, because the vast majority of its customers will have no idea that their TWC-provided modem isn't capable of handling the top end of TWC-provided internet speeds.

My plan is simply to bring this up with the tech this weekend.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,925,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Hasn't it always been the case that TWC requires a separate modem for digital phone, and that it is provided without a separate charge?
^ This

The $8/mo is for the internet. The phone modem they don't charge to rent. So if you buy your own cable modem and use their phone modem there are no extra charges.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 AM

228 posts, read 803,166 times
Regarding the original announcement, I have TWC through Earthlink, and initially (8 months ago), i got it installed and was getting 50 mbit down. I recently discovered I was getting 15 mbit down and called, and after getting transferred to 5 different people who had no idea what they were doing, it was announced that 20 mbit is the best they have for our area (Durham/Hope Valley Farms). The rate is good $40/month, but I am wondering if going with TWC directly would help. I asked on Nextdoor and a neighbor said he was getting 30 mbit down from TWC. At any rate, this is straight from the horses mouth. Also Frontier best they can do is 3 mbit down or bonded (basically 2 phone lines) for 6 mbit down. Again straight from the horses mouth.

I'm not sure we'll ever see the upgraded speeds, and it's not like we live in the booney. Google Fiber is coming, but a) no idea if it will make it to HVF, we do not have overhead powerlines. b) it's going to take a LONG time, probably 2-3 years at least.

So probably TWC directly from them, you may get the fastest speed. Earthlink seems to have a much slower capped speed.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
What modem do you have?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 AM

754 posts, read 1,694,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
I'm not sure we'll ever see the upgraded speeds, and it's not like we live in the booney. Google Fiber is coming, but a) no idea if it will make it to HVF, we do not have overhead powerlines. b) it's going to take a LONG time, probably 2-3 years at least.

So probably TWC directly from them, you may get the fastest speed. Earthlink seems to have a much slower capped speed.
Earthlink will get the same Maxx upgrades if your area is upgraded. Your Earthlink 20Mbit will go to 100Mbit just like TWC Turbo will go to 100Mbps as long as you have the right modem. I'm in the same boat.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 AM

147 posts, read 230,466 times
I dont think this is true because we called to sign up as new TWC customers and they treated us like garbage because former tenants of that address had not yet paid their final bill. We didnt even let them on the property to connect it all and they didnt seem to care that they lost potential customers.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 AM

I'm on EarthLink 15/1 now and am not planning on jumping to 100/10 or anything, so I bought a 6121. I just got it swapped and activated it this weekend. Speeds are now showing 16/1 on speedtest.net and the graph seems much smoother. Before I would have peaks and valleys even on normally low usage times, now it's more or less solid all the way across. Obviously the change to DOCSIS 3.0 is helping. I had some kind of Ubee modem before.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,557 times
Want faster internet, consider upgrading your router and your network card in your laptop or notebook.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Far better than paying rent and installation from your internet provider.

If you have an router/network card older than a couple years, you can count on slow speeds because there have major upgrades.

These two are about as simple to install as opening a door.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Ok, wow. I went to turn in my rental modem to TWC at the Cary office on Maynard and High House. The place was so packed there was no where to even sit down. Is that typical? Are any other offices any better? They only had maybe three people serving customers so with 30 or so in the lobby, even if each only takes 5 or so minutes per transaction, that's just about an hour and I figure some will take longer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary