Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:23 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times

Advertisements

I'd assume the majority of kids don't have travel plans for spring break. I think it much less disruptive then going on Saturdays. I'd also assume more teens have weekend jobs then those with spring break airline tickets. Not saying all but enough that majority rules. No matter what decision was made people would be whining about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I am considering not having my kids go just to make a point. If enough people keep their kids out they won't be able to teach anything meaningful anyway. Unfortunately a lot of parents just had thei child are problems solved for 3 days.
I may or may not send mine. Depends on whether we decide to do something for spring break.

It's a non-issue to me, because I figure they'll probably not be hitting the heavy instruction on those days since so many kids are likely to be absent anyway.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'd assume the majority of kids don't have travel plans for spring break. I think it much less disruptive then going on Saturdays. I'd also assume more teens have weekend jobs then those with spring break airline tickets. Not saying all but enough that majority rules. No matter what decision was made people would be whining about something.

Truth!

And people can always just keep their kids out if spring break is a big deal for their family due to vacation plans, visits to see family, etc.

I mean, those kids might have to miss out on the perfect attendance award this year, but we all have choices in life to make.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I hope they will allow for an excused absence for some Spring Break travelers. I know in CHCCS we have to put in writing a request for travel as an educational experience two weeks in advance and have it approved. Not sure how it is in WCPSS.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
I'm not in Wake, but just have to comment as a parent and former teacher.

Poppy, I agree with you as having less school overall would be beneficial to most kids. I am also one that doesn't agree with all of the homework. The kids dont have much time to be kids.

I didn't know until I moved here that Good Friday wasn't a 'real" holiday. I am from WI where there are a LOT of Catholics,so Good Friday is observed up there and silly me just thought that it was that way everywhere.

When I first heard they make up school on Saturdays, i honestly thought it was a joke.

As a teacher, I was dead by Saturdays-so are my kids, so a 6 day school week sounds horrendous to me. Plus, it would have been a pain for me as a parent-we have no family/friends, DH works weekends, so to have to pay for Saturday daycare so I could go to work would have cost more than I made in a day. Plus, I have never had childcare-we could never afford it, so wehave always worked opposite shifts. I wouldnt just hire some random person to babysit.

I don't know what the answer is, but it is a mess.
I didn't even look at the Johnston Co. site yet to see what they have come up with. We have family coming from out of town for spring break, so if my kids have school, they will not be going. We see them once/year and will be keeping our plans.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
I am in johnston county....they took workdays, half days, added a day to the end....and then also took April 9 and 10( last 2 days of spring break)

Of the teachers I know that do plan on working ( which is about half), includung myself, we already have planned mostly non academic lessons for those days....extra recess, movies etc. mainly because we expect our class rooms to be blended with other classes due to shortage of subs. Of my grade level team, 3 out of 6 won't be in school on those days. Our regular subs( most with kids at our school) also have indicated they won't be available to work that week due to prior plans.

I have a feeling most of our kids will show....mainly because I work at a blue collar/ high minority populated school where parents work and/ or can't afford vacations. I also anticipate 100% of the behavior problem kids will show...they usually have perfect attendance...of course.

Personally I would have preferred working 2 Saturdays and Good Friday....at least we would have had 1 complete week off. We already exceed state mandated instructional hours by 12-13 days...so why the days just can't be forgiven is beyond me. Our school day is 8:15-3:50... With Most kids not leaving til 4:15 each day( bus routes long out here in country...we share busses) and getting home after 5.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
Also...from a parent standpoint, if I had prior travel plans I would not think twice about keeping my child out of school. I know high school is a bit more strict.....but in every element school and I have both worked at, and sent my child to( both here and in n.j.) absences really are not a big deal. I have had kids in my class with excessive absences( 30+ days) and nothing was ever done ( no socials worker, not held back etc etc). So I don't think 2-3 days absent will matter...especially knowing most teachers won't have a lot planned anyway( if your child's teacher is even there).

Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
the more I think about this, and read on it, the sillier the whole melodrama becomes.

I remember that, whether your school overstresses the EOG's are not, once they are done, so it seems is the school year. We had at least 1 solid week of nothing truly instructional at the end of last year. And that wasn't a year like this where the scheduled last day is a Monday. Who would be the folks who would think "Oh, yes, well let's have the last day of school on a Monday!" ???

and that's just the beginning.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I have no kids so don't have a dog directly in the hunt. However, I just don't understand why its so hard to have the dates published in advance (like they do) and then stick to those dates. It's the constant reactionary changes every time this situation comes up that's crazy.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I have no kids so don't have a dog directly in the hunt. However, I just don't understand why its so hard to have the dates published in advance (like they do) and then stick to those dates. It's the constant reactionary changes every time this situation comes up that's crazy.
This ^

I don't get it either. Plan out where you're going to shove 10 days on the calendar if you need them every year so people know what could possibly happen and then work it into their schedules. That seems like a good number. We really don't have "that many" snow days usually.

But, no no, every year it's the same exact crap again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary