Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

If I am not mistaken they changed the testing window last year to accommodate the changes wrought by all the snow days. I could be wrong, but I think they pushed them back. At any rate, the idea that material on the EOGs is being taught and mastered up to the day they are given is patently ridiculous. My 5th grader is covering their last topic in math NOW. And if your student doesn't know what's coming on the language arts EOG, well, another 3 days of school isn't going to help. Let's also ponder that many other states are starting their yearly testing NOW. NJ is giving their PARCC testing now. NY's state tests are usually end of March - beginning of April. The problem here is that so many parents actually believe that the EOGs can be used to retain or promote their child (they can't).

At any rate, here's yet another disgruntled parent's take on the situation:

https://wcpssopenletter.wordpress.co...h-of-contract/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
there are not 10 days to build into the calendar due to the state legislature's mandate on school start and end dates and required instructional days!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
Revenue from state tourism is more important than extending school past June 11th. Point blank, that is the only reason we don't have makeup days past that point in the school year. It is shocking that this is factored so heavily into school calendars.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
there are not 10 days to build into the calendar due to the state legislature's mandate on school start and end dates and required instructional days!
Saturdays are days.

Regardless, this entire situation is nutty.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the more I think about this, and read on it, the sillier the whole melodrama becomes.

I remember that, whether your school overstresses the EOG's are not, once they are done, so it seems is the school year. We had at least 1 solid week of nothing truly instructional at the end of last year. And that wasn't a year like this where the scheduled last day is a Monday. Who would be the folks who would think "Oh, yes, well let's have the last day of school on a Monday!" ???

and that's just the beginning.
And there is the ridiculousness of the situation. Last day of school is scheduled for a Monday (which is a waste), but it does lend itself to extend the school year by adding a couple of days to the end of the year - to make it worth it to go to school that last week. So why didn't they add the days to the end of the calendar (as is originally printed on the calendar hanging on my refrigerator)? Or stop scheduling the last day of school on a Monday.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
And there is the ridiculousness of the situation. Last day of school is scheduled for a Monday (which is a waste), but it does lend itself to extend the school year by adding a couple of days to the end of the year - to make it worth it to go to school that last week. So why didn't they add the days to the end of the calendar (as is originally printed on the calendar hanging on my refrigerator)? Or stop scheduling the last day of school on a Monday.
Because it has to be "relevant instruction". But people I know have already gotten word from their principals about doubling up classes, eating lunch in classrooms because there isn't going to be enough staff nor will there be enough subs. Relevant instruction. Sure.
This is entiry about the tourism industry. WCPSS will never be able to come up with a reasonable explanation why they put 3 days at the end of the year on their calendar as the make up days and aren't using them.

WCPSS also requires teachers to report on snow days. They are getting into an HR problem here as well. Teachers use annual leave to cover breaks and now they have to come in. But they are also supposed to pay for subs if they take a day when students are there. Can't charge them for subs now so wcpss will be footing that bill entirely.

Last edited by twingles; 03-09-2015 at 05:02 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Revenue from state tourism is more important than extending school past June 11th. Point blank, that is the only reason we don't have makeup days past that point in the school year. It is shocking that this is factored so heavily into school calendars.
If it's so detrimental to the state for children to go to school past June 11th, then why do they allow year-round schooling? One would think that year-round schooling should be banned if that were the case!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:26 AM

544 posts, read 852,689 times
Quote:
With the right political contributions you can get almost anything you want. The tourism industry has some well-paid lobbyists. And it doesn't hurt when the long-time president pro tem of the state senate represents your coastal district.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If it's so detrimental to the state for children to go to school past June 11th, then why do they allow year-round schooling? One would think that year-round schooling should be banned if that were the case!
My understanding is that this is the exact reason everyone is given a calendar option, because then you have a choice of year round or out of year round.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 AM

606 posts, read 903,878 times
Quote:
I'm not shocked by it at all. That is how our political system works. The tourism industry spends a lot of money on campaigns and buying influence in government and it expects something in return for their investment. The NCGA gives them exactly what they pay for. The Dems started it and the Republicans have kept it the status quo for 5 years. Money is power in politics. Doesn't matter if they are an elephant or a donkey. They all do it. Hence, my disdain for how things are run these days but that's a topic for another time. I just wanted to point out that both sides are equally responsible for the tourism mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary