Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If it's so detrimental to the state for children to go to school past June 11th, then why do they allow year-round schooling? One would think that year-round schooling should be banned if that were the case!
That was the argument used by the group of parents that sued WCPSS over mandatory year-round back in 2006/2007-ish. It made it to the NC Supreme Court. I believe the initial decision was that it did violate the law, so year-round couldn't be mandatory. So the solution was to give everyone a traditional calendar option. Then I think the law was changed to allow school districts to make an exception to the start/end dates for year-round schools only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles
WCPSS also requires teachers to report on snow days. They are getting into an HR problem here as well. Teachers use annual leave to cover breaks and now they have to come in. But they are also supposed to pay for subs if they take a day when students are there. Can't charge them for subs now so wcpss will be footing that bill entirely.
Where did you hear that WCPSS won't be charging the teachers for subs? I've heard that they still have to pay for a sub if they use their accrued leave. There's a post floating around FB pointing this out. It's amazing how many people didn't realize that teachers have to pay to use their accrued leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
There is no excuse for changing the dates from what was previously announced. That is the real issue here.

On a tangent, Wake County's size, combined with the skittishness of the school board when it comes to weather, results in lots of days where my streets are completely clear of snow and ice, yet the kids sit at home bored because school has been cancelled. I understand breaking up the the school district opens up a can of worm, but perhaps for the purposes of weather events they could divide into 4 or 6 or whatever sections. Icy roads in Wake Forest but not in Fuquay? No problem, just cancel WF's district and not shut down the entire county.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
There is no excuse for changing the dates from what was previously announced. That is the real issue here.

On a tangent, Wake County's size, combined with the skittishness of the school board when it comes to weather, results in lots of days where my streets are completely clear of snow and ice, yet the kids sit at home bored because school has been cancelled. I understand breaking up the the school district opens up a can of worm, but perhaps for the purposes of weather events they could divide into 4 or 6 or whatever sections. Icy roads in Wake Forest but not in Fuquay? No problem, just cancel WF's district and not shut down the entire county.
I do think it's time for Wake to split. At least into a few pieces.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 AM

150 posts, read 175,493 times
Just a point of info...

Good Friday is a somber day with meaning to me. State of mind is what's important.

But as for missing work/school/etc for services...the Tenebrae is usually an evening service (typically 7 PM or later), so attending school/work AND attending Good Friday service are possible on the same day. I've done it many times.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think it's time for Wake to split. At least into a few pieces.
I was amazed when I found out North Carolina had county wide school districts, not so much for the smaller counties (which makes sense most of the time), but for the larger counties like Wake. Wake County with it's land mass and population now at a 1,000,000 people, has to be one of the largest school districts in the country.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Wake is already split nto transportation districts. Many of them in fact. It's time to use that split to decide which schools need to be opened or closed when there's weather. You can't have 100K kids sitting home because a few thousand live in the boondocks or have an icy subdivision. The past two years it's been fine in the area I live and I'm talking miles over 2 towns after the first day or so.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was amazed when I found out North Carolina had county wide school districts, not so much for the smaller counties (which makes sense most of the time), but for the larger counties like Wake. Wake County with it's land mass and population now at a 1,000,000 people, has to be one of the largest school districts in the country.
I believe it's about #15 in the country. Charlotte-Mecklenburg is also a very large district.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
someone discussed yesterday the idea of "snow routes" for the buses, which apparently is prevalent elsewhere. At some point, the buses run on the main roads they can, school is open, and the individual parent is responsible for getting the children to that nearest bus stop.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,933,298 times
My nephews in central Ohio get something called "Blizzard bags" that have assignments for kids to do. Kids get 2 weeks to do the work and each one counts as a day of instruction. I think it sounds like a great idea! Implemented by the Ohio Dept of Education!

‘Blizzard bags’ give kids school work during calamity days | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 03-09-2015, 01:42 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
My nephews in central Ohio get something called "Blizzard bags" that have assignments for kids to do. Kids get 2 weeks to do the work and each one counts as a day of instruction. I think it sounds like a great idea! Implemented by the Ohio Dept of Education!

‘Blizzard bags’ give kids school work during calamity days | The Columbus Dispatch
That's a cool idea! Even if it didn't count toward a day of school, it would keep the kids busy and their minds active.

The more interesting part of the article, though, is that these Columbus, Ohio students had fewer snow days than we did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary