Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
first and most importantly, thank you for such a thorough and great answer to the OP's question. Because your response was so "even-handed", I'd be curious to get your input on the paragraph I've quoted above. What are some of the "nasty things said about teachers...", especially since it sounds as if it's not one or a few bumpkin politicians you're implying.
Big one. The lowlife legislature tried to eliminate tenure.

Got stymied but will surely try again unless these creatures are flushed into the sewer next election.

State employees are valued as much as bedbugs here. Only real good benefit is retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
No one asked you, because you have no first hand knowledge nor prior experience as a teacher.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,242 times
Here are some job opportunities at Franklin Academy: https://franklinacademy.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx

Old 04-06-2015, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,919 times
Quote:
No one asked you, because you have no first hand knowledge nor prior experience as a teacher.
Do you also make beds in a burning home? Cheer on the Titanic as it's sinking? Quit cheering on your state simply because it's your state and get some perspective.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 PM

I'm not sure that was a first hand answer either. I welcome ALL answers from current/just resigned teachers. While sometimes anecdotal, they still always provide insight.

But you other folks are more than welcome to reproduce (links, please) some "nasty things said about teachers" by the current legislative body that show they devalue public education and teachers.

My children are doing quite well in the public school system, and their teachers are mighty darn stable over the 8 year period we've been in the system.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't seem to recall reading (m)any responses from current teachers to this or similar threads complaining about their situations.
They all moved to Texas.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 PM

no they didn't.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM

396 posts, read 410,148 times
Quote:
As people are apparently still looking for answers to all of this and this thread is still getting a lot of reads, I feel I should weigh in. Mind you I am a current North Carolina high school teacher, NC Teaching Fellow, have years of experience, and I have taught every level of student imaginable from down syndrome to AP. Furthermore I try to be optimistic about things. Life is what you make it, and so is where you live.

Now, short version of what I am about to say: Don't come into this state. Just don't. People who are not in this profession can pontificate about how it "Isn't that bad" or "Teachers complain too much." I promise you they could not do my job, particularly not in my school. Moving here would be a terrible career choice only made worse if you have/would like to have a family. And while the legislature has done a great deal to exacerbate the problem, there are deeper cultural problems that cannot be ignored.

Long Version:

As far as the basics are concerned: pay is low, benefits unimpressive, and job security minimal. Obviously we have no union, so there is little recourse in the case of a grievance. If an administrator has it out for you, you are pretty much screwed. Unless you were grandfathered in, you will be put on a one year contract. Upon the conclusion of that one year, if they do not like you... too bad so sad. For many non-renewal becomes a black mark of shame that prevents you from many job opportunities, so better to resign if you have the chance. Testing is ridiculous and riddled with issues. They primarily assess teachers, not students, and the tests are often as poorly constructed as the formula used to analyze its results. These scores are determined primarily by the socioeconomic profile of your school. Wealthier kids (typically in suburban areas) will score better than the more poverty stricken rural counties. The correlation is obvious, though nobody chooses to acknowledge it.

Not all schools in the state are created equal. Like anywhere, you have your good and your bad. The Triangle area has more than its fair share of good schools, and most communities in and around a university (Watauga, for instance) are typically going to be more pleasant to work. Not only are the good schools competitive, but they are EXTREMELY nepotistic and not always the best judges of character/ability. This is the reason why, even at good schools in good counties, you still have turnover: bad teachers are bad regardless of location and good teachers often look for the next positive step. Good schools do, however, work to minimize needless responsibilities and often do a great deal to maintain morale and enthusiasm.

Bad schools are going to pummel you with duties and responsibilities, primarily because they are trying to milk you for every drop. Tons of testing responsibilities, remediation, mounds of paperwork, pulled to cover other peoples classes, constantly losing your planning, and all without so much as a thank you.

Support systems are lacking, not because of any individual deficiencies as much as funding. Some systems do not properly work to exit students from IEPs and the like, so there are schools out there with 10+ percent of their students graduating still on plans. Special education departments are stretched thin as it is, and this can sometimes prove a ridiculous challenge. The same can be said for any teacher supports, but as I said this is highly contingent on where you are.

If anyone wants more information or details, especially folks who are planning to relocate, by all means let me know. It is not all always negative. I love my subject and really do enjoy the act of teaching. I have consistently good evaluations, my students know the material, and despite constantly feeling beaten down I try to always walk into the building with a smile on my face. Yet, I can also tell you I am constantly looking for a way out. I can't take much more and I feel it is beginning to take a serious physical and emotional toll. All of this is only made worse by the fact that most others I speak to feel the same way, so it is rare you really get to feel the sun on your face.

So when you see these people jumping ship to other states. When you hear them discussing the plight of public education in this state on the radio. When you see people fighting to defend the status quo in this state regarding education, know that what I am saying is by no means a voice of the educational minority, but of the majority, and heed the warnings that you are given.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
Well said Max.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 809 times
Well, if you are planning on surviving off your income in NC, I would think twice. I moved down from a NYS after teaching there for many years and have found the state to look down on teachers. Don't expect to get a salary increase like union states (NY being one of those). My husband has a good job which is why we are remaining down here. Just make sure that this is the place you want to be and do as much research as you can before you commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary