Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 PM

448 posts, read 851,787 times

Advertisements

I have been here for three years Once upon a time I taught in NY and then for the past fourteen years, I was in AZ My sister is still in NY. We have the same years of experience and the same degree. She is making way over 60K more a year and much better benefits.

However, compared to AZ, the salary is about the same. Although for the first time in my 20 plus years of teaching; it is the first time that I have had to pay for dental and vision insurance. In the other states that I worked in, that was paid for by the district. Which then made my salary in AZ a bit more. I do realize that cost of living in NY is much more. I cannot really say that when it comes to AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post

If anyone wants more information or details, especially folks who are planning to relocate, by all means let me know. It is not all always negative. I love my subject and really do enjoy the act of teaching. I have consistently good evaluations, my students know the material, and despite constantly feeling beaten down I try to always walk into the building with a smile on my face. Yet, I can also tell you I am constantly looking for a way out. I can't take much more and I feel it is beginning to take a serious physical and emotional toll. All of this is only made worse by the fact that most others I speak to feel the same way, so it is rare you really get to feel the sun on your face.

So when you see these people jumping ship to other states. When you hear them discussing the plight of public education in this state on the radio. When you see people fighting to defend the status quo in this state regarding education, know that what I am saying is by no means a voice of the educational minority, but of the majority, and heed the warnings that you are given.
As I repped you - thanks for thee complete post. Please don't think by my response to a certain knee-jerk anti-Republican gadfly that I believe in the "status quo" of the state's education system. We need to do more financially statewide for our education system. We should do more locally for the education system in a metro area that is routinely ranked in the top 5 of educational demographics nationally.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
I notice OP hasn't been back for awhile--apparently he'/she wasn't really interested in actual advice and is just moving here on a "wing and a prayer" like so many lemmings before him/her because somebody somewhere said "move to NC, right now, and don't let anybody dissuade you!".

Old 06-28-2015, 02:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I notice OP hasn't been back for awhile--apparently he'/she wasn't really interested in actual advice and is just moving here on a "wing and a prayer" like so many lemmings before him/her because somebody somewhere said "move to NC, right now, and don't let anybody dissuade you!".
We must be kindred souls, Francois. I also refer to these fools as lemmings.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:00 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Or quite possibly, she heeded some of the negatives posted and decided to relocate somewhere else instead. In which case, mission accomplished for you and Saturnfan! Kindred souls indeed.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Or quite possibly, she heeded some of the negatives posted and decided to relocate somewhere else instead. In which case, mission accomplished for you and Saturnfan! Kindred souls indeed.
Thanks for appreciating us for saving the OP from believing the lies fed by the media.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Heads up for new hires:

Senate wants to eliminate retirement health benefits for new state employees in 2016 - Progress North Carolina Action

Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Ah, the Republican legislature. Always looking to stick it to the little guy.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,960 times
Thanks for the advice. I've put off moving for one more year. I do have concerns about how the state feels about teachers. I'm hopeful that things will change for the better.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
if you believe that "the state" does not feel good about the teachers, then nothing will change in a year. The earliest it could possibly change would be the summer of 2017. And this would require huge changes in elected Legislators, which isn't likely at all during the next election cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary