Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

715 posts, read 889,388 times

Advertisements

My concern is with the government and the push once again to equal opportunity home ownership via the toxic twins Freddie and Fannie...3% down and loose standards are making a comeback and it's an ominous trend. I fear Mel Watts and the FHFA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
One ad does not make a "bubble." Go get a mortgage and then come back and tell everyone how easy it was. You will be the first to say so in years.

Many people are concerned about the economy over the long term. It does run cycles, and if a stormcrow caws long enough, he will be right at some point. Just like a stopped clock is right twice a day.
This is not merely "negative." It is actually pretty crass and cruel:

One can surely reasonably hope that the college tuition bubble will burst, as college costs are out of control. Public and private colleges and universities have run costs so high that it has opened the door for for-profit schools to market overly-expensive "education" that is modeled on selling easy access to overpriced student loans to hopefuls.
But, whether talking about housing or education finance, one can only hope that consumers are making wise choices. Some do. Some clearly do not.
My son got a 3% FHA in a heartbeat 3 years ago. I could easily join him with my 792 FICO score.

The problem is that people who can just meet P+I and tax/insurance are 1 broken HVAC away from abandoning a home and defaulting. Many of the current new construction uses junk materials which have a short life and may cause homeowners to bail out as maintenance starts to eat them alive.

Heaven forbid a slowdown and layoffs occurs dropping high salaried employees on our now stingy unemployment benefits.

We had a solid economy based on education, medicine, and government. Now, we are in the speculative tech area.

I wish good luck to all, but be careful of burying yourselves in debt.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My son got a 3% FHA in a heartbeat 3 years ago. I could easily join him with my 792 FICO score.

The problem is that people who can just meet P+I and tax/insurance are 1 broken HVAC away from abandoning a home and defaulting. Many of the current new construction uses junk materials which have a short life and may cause homeowners to bail out as maintenance starts to eat them alive.

Heaven forbid a slowdown and layoffs occurs dropping high salaried employees on our now stingy unemployment benefits.

We had a solid economy based on education, medicine, and government. Now, we are in the speculative tech area.

I wish good luck to all, but be careful of burying yourselves in debt.
There's a huge gulf of difference between people who choose FHA because they don't have 20% to put down on a house and people who are too broke to keep up basic repairs.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There's a huge gulf of difference between people who choose FHA because they don't have 20% to put down on a house and people who are too broke to keep up basic repairs.
Basic repairs is one thing. A/C compressors and roofs is another.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Hell, there are people who put all their extra cash into a 20% down payment. Do they necessarily have a lot more in savings?

Your son got an FHA loan. Is he too broke to take care of his house?

Old 04-19-2015, 09:52 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
I bought a new gaspack 12 years ago. It has years of service left in it.
The upper zone is 22 years old, and shows no symptoms of needing to be replaced.
Bought a roof last year. It will last 30+ years.

It isn't like you buy this stuff every month.
Basic personal finance and budgeting allows for these expenses.
But, some people overspend and take the slack out of the budget by buying more than they can afford. That is an error, for sure.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:02 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,763,782 times
IF you buy a home you can afford you should be OK. I put down a good chunk on my recent purchase and my monthly is less than it would cost to get a decent one bedroom in the Raleigh/Durham area.

If I can't make my payments the bank will kick me out but by the same token if I couldn't pay my rent the landlord would give me the boot too.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:07 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,720 times
Isn't it all about being a wise purchaser? My husband and I have always purchased a home that we can carry on only one salary. It's always worked for us - so when we need a new HVAC unit, or want to upgrade flooring, we have the means to do so. Not enough people thin that way, though.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM

43,304 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowapefamily View Post
Isn't it all about being a wise purchaser? My husband and I have always purchased a home that we can carry on only one salary. It's always worked for us - so when we need a new HVAC unit, or want to upgrade flooring, we have the means to do so. Not enough people thin that way, though.
Exactly.
If you need both salaries, plus overtime pay and bonus projections, and a gift from Grandma for most of the downpayment because you have no cash, you are overreaching, IMO.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
I think there is some difference here we should acknowledge between credit worthiness and the appraised value of a home. When you say getting a mortgage is easy that could mean two things, it's easy to fill out all the paperwork and forms or it's easy to qualify (meet income requirements, general creditworthiness). Person A has a good job and credit and would stay within their means so it's easy to get a mortgage for the house they pick vs, I want to live outside my means so I have to justify, spin facts, move around bank balances, whatever tricks people use. Then it's harder to get a mortgage than it was in 2006.

Here is my view:
Housing bubble was two issues, housing market increasing at an unsustainable rate, combined with lenders willingness to provide loans for overpriced properties. Combine that will low documentation requirements and you get people paying too much for a house they can't afford.

So as long as the checks and balances of the home mortgage system don't go by the wayside like they did in the housing bubble, then things should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary