Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM

282 posts, read 835,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Thanks for the reminder, mommiewrites, that I'd better get going! (couldn't rep you, "they" won't let me)

Snowblower? We sold our super duper snowblower that is working its butt off in NH this winter ... DH so attached to it wanted to bring it with him. I said,
how in the world are you going to sell in in NC??

OK. Milk and water. And bread, too, probably. See ya later.
I used to live across the street from a supermarket in the northeast, and would get a kick out of walking over there during a snowstorm, just to see the pillage and devastation that had occurred in the dairy and bread aisles. I can still picture the one time I got to the bread aisle, and there was NOTHING there except for 2 packages of cranberry english muffins....

I can't wait to see what Harris Teeter's looks like tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
lets just say I'm glad I bought milk last night. im not going to the store unless i find out that I truly NEED something ( and I don't think i do! lol)

Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
[quote=southward bound;2528231]Thanks for the reminder, mommiewrites, that I'd better get going! (couldn't rep you, "they" won't let me)

Snowblower? We sold our super duper snowblower that is working its butt off in NH this winter ... DH so attached to it wanted to bring it with him. I said,
how in the world are you going to sell in in NC??

You would have been the talk of the town,the only one with a snowblower when we get the big rare winter storm. Thing would be priceless then,,,We had rail sleds from my mother and some plastic circles and one big storm had people offering me good money for them, they were hard to come by and the ace hardware was selling the rail sleds for 90 bucks each ,sold out in two hours the morning of a snow storm. Same with winter boots gloves ect..If you got them put them away for safe keeping, even though the winters over the last two years have been milder then the past, things could go back to normal and we get the good march snows again,

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
You know that roar you hear in the spring and summer on the weekends when everyone fires up their lawnmowers?

Well up here in New England, after the relative quiet of a snowstorm, you get the large ROAR of everyone with their snowblowers digging out!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
And don't forget the other roar that begins 10 minutes after a snow storm here.....newcomers screaming "why don't they have enough equipment here!" or "why can't these people drive in snow". The answer to both is, of course, cause we hardly ever get snow. And as the OP said, even seasoned snow drivers will have trouble on ice. My favorite is seeing the people who paid tons for these big 4 wheel drive SUV's trying to drive in ice...thinking they can. Remember, on ice, 4 wheel drive just means 4 wheels sliding!

Me, I just hope we get a nice snow, enough for the kids to make snowballs, maybe a little sledding, maybe a snow day from school, hot chocolate and a warm wood fire......that's not asking much, is it?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post

Me, I just hope we get a nice snow, enough for the kids to make snowballs, maybe a little sledding, maybe a snow day from school, hot chocolate and a warm wood fire......that's not asking much, is it?
me too!!!!!!!! I would love to see my 20 month old's reaction to snow!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
dont forget candles and batteries for flashlights! lol
...an beer, don't forget the beer!! Lol

Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
I never worry about snow, it's the ice. No matter where one lives, that ice that forms on a street can be nasty and very difficult to manage. I haven't really experienced it here, yet, but up in the mountains of CA, we hit some turns that looked rather normal but was really an ice rink. Lots guard rail impacts and sideswipes with other vehicles. Ugh.

As for ten dollar milk and eggs, since moving here, I can say that milk is by far more expensive here than it was in CA. I was paying five bucks for two gallons on the west coast. And I thought that was pricey since I've always heard that milk production exceeds consumption (only what I've read and heard, but I'd love to see real numbers).

Anyway, no one has to worry about us flocking to the dairy isles during a storm. Since arriving here, my delicious gallon a week consumption of milk has gone down dramatically. And I've lost a respectable amount of pounds as a result. However, we have stocked up with our usual case of gallon water and canned goods.

I guess we should consider a generator too, but they seem fairly pricey. I've seen them at a lot of places, even Big Lots, but don't know how well they work or last on whatever energy they use to power them.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I never worry about snow, it's the ice. No matter where one lives, that ice that forms on a street can be nasty and very difficult to manage. I haven't really experienced it here, yet, but up in the mountains of CA, we hit some turns that looked rather normal but was really an ice rink. Lots guard rail impacts and sideswipes with other vehicles. Ugh.

As for ten dollar milk and eggs, since moving here, I can say that milk is by far more expensive here than it was in CA. I was paying five bucks for two gallons on the west coast. And I thought that was pricey since I've always heard that milk production exceeds consumption (only what I've read and heard, but I'd love to see real numbers).

Anyway, no one has to worry about us flocking to the dairy isles during a storm. Since arriving here, my delicious gallon a week consumption of milk has gone down dramatically. And I've lost a respectable amount of pounds as a result. However, we have stocked up with our usual case of gallon water and canned goods.

I guess we should consider a generator too, but they seem fairly pricey. I've seen them at a lot of places, even Big Lots, but don't know how well they work or last on whatever energy they use to power them.
I was sort of kidding around about the generator. They aren't really necessary for the most part. I was just reminded of the sound of them in the utter quiet after the major ice storm a few years ago, when someone brought up the "hum" of snowblowers!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,647 times
I would also add that you're free to disregard the weather. It might not do anything out there at all, but if enough people panic it means everyone has to panic. So if you find yourself out in some simple rain wanting some milk because your corn flakes a truly dry now, you just might be out of luck Thursday afternoon. That's just how it goes here. Now, by Friday they will have stocked back up so you'll eventually get milk....unless the reports are wrong and we get 3 inches of ice. Then you are going to wish you'd gotten more corn flakes AND milk on Wednesday instead of insisting you'd be above the fray and not panic over sleet. Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary