Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 AM

269 posts, read 944,495 times

Advertisements

Okay, by my title I am sure you have figured out I am not a local (although I am not Jewish either).

My family and I (Me, hubby, 2 toddlers) are looking to relocate to the Raleigh area in 6-12 months. I am probably about to overload you with information, but I guess more is better when looking for help.

What we are looking for is an area that is family friendly - good schools, convenient amenities, within a "neighborhood" or development. Our maximum price would be about $350k but would prefer to stay below that.

Our ideal house would be 2500+ sq feet, unfinished or finished bonus space, basement or walk up attic is a plus. We would require a minimum of 3 bedrooms plus an office/den/study otherwise we would need 4 bedrooms. We currently live on 3/4 of an acre, this is more than enough for us. If there is a community pool, parks, etc. than 1/4-1/2 acre would be sufficient.

We are most interested in areas similar to Cary/Apex, however we have been hearing some negatives about the consistency of school assignments and would not want to be subject to constant switching. Year round vs. traditional is not an issue, but must be consistent for all grade levels.

Small towns have always been appealing to us. The familiarity, the charm, etc. However we are too unfamiliar with the area as a whole to know where those types of areas are. Any suggestions would most definately be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
That's funny. By the title of your thread I would have thought you were Jewish with the "OY". If you would like to stay away from the wake redistricting, how about Clayton, Hillsborough or Chatham County.

Where will your jobs be because Clayton is South of Raleigh. Hillsborough is North and Chatham County is to the West. We can give you some neighborhoods when we have a better idea of a location. Are you looking for something new or resale?

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
The first neighborhood that pops into my head is Sunset Oaks. Right on the money on price/sf, suitable demographic, smaller town feel, great location. Expect lot sizes either side of 1/4 acre, but excellent community recreation.

You could also look at the resale neighborhoods on the south side of Olive Chapel Road in Apex-Cameron Park, Pearson Farms, Dogwood Ridge. All 3 are popular and fit your preferences well.

Right now year-round does not include High Schools.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I agree with Hillsborough. But if you wanted to be a little closer to "town" you might consider Clayton. If you want to stay away from school redistricting, you have to basically stay out of Wake County, which eliminates a lot of nice towns.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
What we are looking for is an area that is family friendly - good schools, convenient amenities, within a "neighborhood" or development. Our maximum price would be about $350k but would prefer to stay below that.

Our ideal house would be 2500+ sq feet, unfinished or finished bonus space, basement or walk up attic is a plus. We would require a minimum of 3 bedrooms plus an office/den/study. Formal space are required, but need not be the largest areas of the home. We would also like to have a yard, with privacy. We currently live on 3/4 of an acre, this is more than enough for us. If there is a community pool, parks, etc. than 1/4-1/2 acre would be sufficient.

We are most interested in areas similar to Cary/Apex

Small towns have always been appealing to us.
You're desires are very close to what my wife and I were searching for when we moved here 18 months ago. To help us narrow down the areas, please provide info on what part of the Triangle you will be working in, and what your comfortable commute time (not distance) would be.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Wow! 4 replies within 3 minutes! The people on this forum are certainly eager to help out!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Wow! 4 replies within 3 minutes! The people on this forum are certainly eager to help out!
We aim to please!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I think this area is large enough and encompasses enough small towns that you will be able to find your niche so to speak. As far as redistricting in the schools, you will find that it is happening more in the newer areas of the triangle (cary, apex, southern wake county). Much of that area is newer construction, and brand new construction, people move to that area because of a couple of reasons. They have heard/read about how wonderful that particular area is, and 10 years ago that area (cary, apex, holly springs and morrisville) was relatively rural. So, there was a lot of space to put a lot of houses, and it is close enough to RTP that it was convenient for all of the people moving here for work.

That being said, if you are really concerned with redistricting, there are areas of the triangle that are more established and do not have the space for much new construction, thus there is not as high of an influx of people moving in, and the reassignments are less.

I live in wake forest, which is north of raleigh. 6 years ago wake forest was very rural, it is not like that now, and who knows what will happen here in 10 more years, but the commissioners (now) seem to be cognizant of the growth issues, so time will tell.

The area that used to be called North raleigh (which was an area north of the 440 beltline) is really not "north raleigh" any more (at least my opinion!) and the growth of raleigh has moved from north of the 440 beltline to north of the 540 beltline. 540 has made the commute for people going to rtp much easier, so the areas north of 540 have seen great increase in population.

Anyhow, I know I have been rambling, but I just wanted you to know that there are alternatives to living in areas that are experiencing tons of reassignments.

Leigh

Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
You should have no problems with 2500 sq at 350,000,,the basement might be more of a challenge, basements are around but not as many as homes up north. The big question would be employement...You are considering a high growth area and jobs are very competitve and with economic jitters country wide. Number one have a job and then plan a move...Also the high growth has effected all the schools over the years in all counties of NC so if that is an issue might want to research other places with lower growth. If you are looking for an area with alot of population growth and urban development ect Raleigh is a good choice, but if you are looking for layed back quite southern feeling area with low traffic low crime, neighberhood schools lots of open greenspace I would look at other areas now because alot of that is no longer here. One good tip is come and spend a couple days around the south to see if its what you really thought it was..good luck

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM

144 posts, read 520,518 times
All great suggestions but instead of automatically thinking of the subdivisions, you need to consider the whole area/town you would like.

My suggestion would be to come for a long weekend if you can and visit. Each location has a different feel and your choices are so broad.

I did tons of research before moving here, as I had never been here before. Schools were not an issue for me as my kids are grown, so I was convinced I would end up living in Cary. One 3 day trip was all it took since in the first day, I determined Cary was not for me. By the 3rd day, I had bought a house in Chatham County and love it.

Take a trip. It will save you tons of time and eliminate a huge mistake you could make.
Once you do, you will be able to post a thread again with specific areas you are interested in and then get the subdivision information you will need for your next step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary