Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM

59 posts, read 69,573 times

Advertisements

Circling back to the topic at hand, "South Cary" is an underrated option for folks commuting into downtown Raleigh. Even with Fortify, you're looking at only 20-25 minutes, which compares favorably to the commute to North Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:20 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
I do not post much, but I thought I would chime in here. We have lived in one of the older South Cary neighborhoods for many years and really enjoy the privacy of a .75 acre lot backing up to a golf course. We are delighted that young families are moving in, some of whom grew up in the neighborhood and like the large lots, trees, terrain, and variety of home styles.

However, although we have updated with new siding (good-bye Masonite!), removed popcorn ceilings, updated baths, etc., we do not have the high ceilings, huge walk-in closets or 5 piece bathrooms which are popular today. Thus we see tear-downs, but luckily our home holds its value through the worth of the lot alone.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:52 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I do not post much, but I thought I would chime in here. We have lived in one of the older South Cary neighborhoods for many years and really enjoy the privacy of a .75 acre lot backing up to a golf course. We are delighted that young families are moving in, some of whom grew up in the neighborhood and like the large lots, trees, terrain, and variety of home styles.

However, although we have updated with new siding (good-bye Masonite!), removed popcorn ceilings, updated baths, etc., we do not have the high ceilings, huge walk-in closets or 5 piece bathrooms which are popular today. Thus we see tear-downs, but luckily our home holds its value through the worth of the lot alone.

Would you mind sharing more info on the popcorn removal? Did you hire this out and was the process bearable from a dust standpoint when the ceilings were smoothed over?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:

We love MacGregor for all the reasons you mentioned here. We'd definitely consider buying a remodeled home, a newer home, or doing a teardown/rebuild on the golf course over there. Beautiful place.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:54 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Would you mind sharing more info on the popcorn removal? Did you hire this out and was the process bearable from a dust standpoint when the ceilings were smoothed over?
Yes, we did hire out as the ceiling work is pretty tough on the neck and shoulders (the guy we used has retired). He was very experienced so the process wasn't as horrible as I anticipated.

After we tested for asbestos (negative), he covered the walls and floor with plastic. Then he thoroughly wet down the ceiling and scrapped with a long, flat tool. The popcorn slid into a bucket he held underneath. We had actually painted the popcorn, which made it more difficult. Since the material was wet, there was little dust.

However, some seams and imperfections had to be mudded. He came back the next day to sand when the mud dried, and that was somewhat dusty. We had closed off vents, encased in plastic any heavy furniture in the room and kept doors closed with towels stuffed underneath. It actually was not as bad as I expected. We did sections of the house at different times. Of course, then the ceilings need to be painted.

However, the result is great! One major plus in new houses to me is smooth ceilings. It looks so much cleaner and airier. I consider it one of the best updates we did, for ourselves and perhaps future buyers.

Hope that helps! If you are thinking to try this yourself, test it out in a closet so you can gauge the difficulty.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
However, some seams and imperfections had to be mudded.
I would plan to have to do touch-up/re-work. Usually, if they knew they were going to do a popcorn ceiling when they were putting it up, they would not finish it as nice as for a smooth ceiling. Popcorn can cover up a lot of imperfections.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:31 AM

56 posts, read 63,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I would plan to have to do touch-up/re-work. Usually, if they knew they were going to do a popcorn ceiling when they were putting it up, they would not finish it as nice as for a smooth ceiling. Popcorn can cover up a lot of imperfections.
Another consideration -- going from popcorn to smooth might require more maintenance over the long haul in some rooms (small recurring cracks to be repaired due to wood movement, tape becoming visible etc). This is one of the problems popcorn was meant to solve, making that sort of thing less visible so the owner doesn't obsess about it.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 16,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We love MacGregor for all the reasons you mentioned here. We'd definitely consider buying a remodeled home, a newer home, or doing a teardown/rebuild on the golf course over there. Beautiful place.
Any suggestions on which subdivision (new or resale) to look for houses under $550k? I'd like to have a lot of at least .25 acre if possible. Any comments on Kildaire Crossing subdivision? Thanks

Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Up to $550,000, I would be looking very hard at Lochmere.
Get the lot size, and some mature trees.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Lochmere is lovely--I grew up there.

With a budget of $550, I'd look at Lochmere and Cambridge/Wyndfall at Regency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary