Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times

Advertisements

It is an elective in most, if not all, Wake County high schools. They also get some of it built into the curriculum in Civics and economics as well as math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:24 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I didn't go to high school in NC but did take a personal finance type class while in school. It was essentially worthless. While adults may think it has value, the vast majority of kids are just going to blow it off like we all did. They'll learn by example at home over anything a text book would ever tell them about balancing a check book (as if we do that these days!).

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM

514 posts, read 602,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I didn't go to high school in NC but did take a personal finance type class while in school. It was essentially worthless. While adults may think it has value, the vast majority of kids are just going to blow it off like we all did. They'll learn by example at home over anything a text book would ever tell them about balancing a check book (as if we do that these days!).
That is a fair point. It can be said about any class, lesson, or anything else one chooses to skate through. You get out of it what you put into it.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Heck, why are we paying to put the little boogers in classes anyway?
Maybe we should just shuttle them all to work farms from 13--18 years old.

OTOH, it is common for "blown off" lessons to resurface in consciousness years later, and those who do decide the subject is important could benefit sooner.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 AM

I liked this video a lot.
https://www.facebook.com/cnnmoney/vi...3369411763067/

Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Our kids get a weekly allowance equal to a dollar per year of age. 30% is for long term savings. Car, etc. 40% is for spending on whatever they want immediately. 30% goes into saving for intermediate term items like laptops which may take a year or so to save up for. We do not loan them money to bridge to next allowance payout. We pay on Monday now because we found that a Friday or Saturday payout resulted in carting them to a store to buy stuff right away. They are also responsible for spending some of their own money on school clothes at the start of each year. They are much more responsible with their money since we've instituted this...we started at 10 yrs old and they are approaching 12 now. They each check their 529s on occasion to see what investing is about..the highs and lows.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Our kids get a weekly allowance equal to a dollar per year of age. 30% is for long term savings. Car, etc. 40% is for spending on whatever they want immediately. 30% goes into saving for intermediate term items like laptops which may take a year or so to save up for. We do not loan them money to bridge to next allowance payout. We pay on Monday now because we found that a Friday or Saturday payout resulted in carting them to a store to buy stuff right away. They are also responsible for spending some of their own money on school clothes at the start of each year. They are much more responsible with their money since we've instituted this...we started at 10 yrs old and they are approaching 12 now. They each check their 529s on occasion to see what investing is about..the highs and lows.
Don't tell my kids. I'm underpaying them.

They still save a good amount of money, though. They get paid biweekly, just like I do.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:05 PM

129 posts, read 179,037 times
As a middle school/high school math teacher (Algebra) it blows my mind that the state requires me to spend basically a day on compounding interest.

That's nuts!!!! Okay....I understand that doing it in long form may not be realistic, but I barely even have to go over the principles around it and how it works. It's the math that will have the most impact on their day to day lives whether they know it or not.

I also think that it's crazy that every citizen is expected to pay taxes but there isn't a high school class that shows students about to turn 18 how to fill out the forms to file.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:49 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
I don't really expect the school to teach my child basic life lessons. Although I will say that in 4th grade my son's teacher had an optional stock investment project/contest. The kids built a portfolio and monitored it for a period of time.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I don't really expect the school to teach my child basic life lessons. Although I will say that in 4th grade my son's teacher had an optional stock investment project/contest. The kids built a portfolio and monitored it for a period of time.
We could call many public school activities basic life lessons tangential to education. Sports and recreation. Personal hygiene. Sex Ed. Manners. Driving. Anti-bullying.
Heck, schools even feed kids and baby sit after school.
Personal finance is a significant life skill that if a reasonable skill level is developed, can help that child avoid many life-defining mistakes, be more independent and less dependent on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary