Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your fireplace preference?
I want a woodburning fireplace where I can build a proper fire. 22 30.56%
I prefer gas logs, an insert in a woodburning fireplace, so I can do either. 8 11.11%
I prefer a dedicated gas log fireplace unit. 27 37.50%
I will take either one. 3 4.17%
I don't care about a fireplace for me, but think I need it for resale. 8 11.11%
I don't want any fireplace. I would rather have the space. 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sort of like the garden tub, soaker tub, spa tub, that no one wants but everyone buys for resale?

Actually, I rarely have someone tell me that a fireplace is on their list of wants, needs, or gotta-haves.
It would be hard to put much value in one, IMO.
Mike, when we bought both of these were requirements. But we use the spa tub daily and the fireplace 3-4 times a week in the winter and that was with wood burning last year. We'll likely use the fireplace more now that it's gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Growing up we always had a wood burning stove. Loved it. Hated all the work that it required. Now as an adult two of our homes have had gas log inserts and the other two had the plain fireplace. Never once did we burn a real fire - all because of the time and effort involved. The fake fire looks nice and provides a nice homey, warm feel - although I do agree a real fire is better. In my case I prefer easy over hassle.

I do not think I would consider a home without a fireplace (real or insert) - a fireplace is a place to gather around and is central to a home. To me a house without a fireplace would be odd.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:13 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Mike, when we bought both of these were requirements. But we use the spa tub daily and the fireplace 3-4 times a week in the winter and that was with wood burning last year. We'll likely use the fireplace more now that it's gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Growing up we always had a wood burning stove. Loved it. Hated all the work that it required. Now as an adult two of our homes have had gas log inserts and the other two had the plain fireplace. Never once did we burn a real fire - all because of the time and effort involved. The fake fire looks nice and provides a nice homey, warm feel - although I do agree a real fire is better. In my case I prefer easy over hassle.

I do not think I would consider a home without a fireplace (real or insert) - a fireplace is a place to gather around and is central to a home. To me a house without a fireplace would be odd.

Hmmmm...
Whole different poll...

Dealbreakers?
Tub or no Tub?
Fireplace or no Fireplace?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM

261 posts, read 307,011 times
My vote goes for a real wood burning fireplace. Each of our homes that we've lived in has had one. Easy enough to get wood on your own one way or other.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hmmmm...
Whole different poll...

Dealbreakers?
Tub or no Tub?
Fireplace or no Fireplace?
Well, having at least one tub, for the little ones, is a deal breaker. It does not have to be a master bath tub...just a tub in the house -preferably next to kiddos rooms. We had a master tub in the old place and used it maybe 3-4x/year. Our current house does not have one...and we don't miss it at all. We have a tub in the bath near the kiddie rooms and that fits the bill for the practicality of bathing them.

We currently have a wood burning fireplace but having one at all is not a deal breaker for us. Many other factors in our decision making (location, schools, sqft, general flow/layout etc.). Maybe if we lived in a colder climate...maybe then. Honestly though, how easy is it to find a single family without some type of fireplace? When we were searching, all the homes we looked at had one. I will admit, having a mantle is nice to put stuff on.

My guy friends seem to like wood while their wives prefer gas. I wonder if gender plays a role? Also, only concern is that since most new builds are gas (wonder what the percentage is...90%?) some buyers might equate wood burning with "old".

Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
I'm a rather space(y) guy.
When I want a fire I have a pit outside.
I tend to like my fires large so the outdoor fire pit is cool for me....
wait a minute let me rephrase that.
"so the outdoor fire pit" lights my fire, or fires me up, so to speak.

Now for reality...
my home has a Propane Gas Log fireplace and never used it,.
It fired up for the home inspection and never flamed out again.....

It is the best dust collector in my home.
Clean the mantle, clean the pit, clean the step in the
front of it......
but its a place to hang my hat!

Great question, thanks for asking. I am sure once the 'smoke' clears we will know the answer......

Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
I was so excited when we bought our house in 2002 and it had a fireplace. I dreamed of all those winter nights with the fireplace crackling while we were snug and warm in our house. We bought the house in July and the ice storm came in December. The fireplace did an admirable job of keeping us warm during the 4 days without power. We dragged our mattress into the living room and hung blankets to keep the heat in that one room. But the work involved. Oh my goodness. All night long we had to get up and add logs and stoke the fire. If we had to run out during the day, I was in a panic until we got home because I was afraid the house would burn down (yes, we used a fireplace screen).

I think we had maybe 10 more fires over the next 14 years that we lived there. It was too much work and the house smelled afterwards.

When we looked for our new house in the mountains, one of the main things on our list was a gas fireplace (and a gas stove, we love to cook). We found our house and it had both. We also have installed a whole house generator. Now the house will stay warm if the power goes out. We're on a shared well with no back up power, so we won't have water, but we will have heat! And now I can enjoy a fire in the fireplace without all the work involved.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:53 AM

53 posts, read 128,527 times
A wood-burning fireplace was on our must-have list when we were house hunting 5 years ago. We found a house (built in 1986) with one that had been converted to gas. We converted it back to wood soon after we moved in. We use it constantly in the winter.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I was so excited when we bought our house in 2002 and it had a fireplace. I dreamed of all those winter nights with the fireplace crackling while we were snug and warm in our house. We bought the house in July and the ice storm came in December. The fireplace did an admirable job of keeping us warm during the 4 days without power. We dragged our mattress into the living room and hung blankets to keep the heat in that one room. But the work involved. Oh my goodness. All night long we had to get up and add logs and stoke the fire. If we had to run out during the day, I was in a panic until we got home because I was afraid the house would burn down (yes, we used a fireplace screen).

I think we had maybe 10 more fires over the next 14 years that we lived there. It was too much work and the house smelled afterwards.

When we looked for our new house in the mountains, one of the main things on our list was a gas fireplace (and a gas stove, we love to cook). We found our house and it had both. We also have installed a whole house generator. Now the house will stay warm if the power goes out. We're on a shared well with no back up power, so we won't have water, but we will have heat! And now I can enjoy a fire in the fireplace without all the work involved.
How long does it take the smell to dissipate?

And I can see feeling skittish about running out with it burning... and how you have to commit to being at home for a huge chunk of the day.

So do the ashes end up a great distance from the fireplace? Could it damage furniture?

I don't mind buying a bundle of firewood because it wouldn't be a constant usage of the fireplace. But the commitment to staying at home and keeping a watchful eye out is concerning.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
I love real wood fireplaces and had one in our last house... but it triggered my allergies which was no fun.

Now we have an externally vented gas fireplace which we use pretty much every evening in the winter. It has a blower and burns the cold outside air instead of the warm inside air so it produces a lot of heat. I use it as a space heater and turn off the furnace for the rest of the house while I'm in that room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary