Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your fireplace preference?
I want a woodburning fireplace where I can build a proper fire. 22 30.56%
I prefer gas logs, an insert in a woodburning fireplace, so I can do either. 8 11.11%
I prefer a dedicated gas log fireplace unit. 27 37.50%
I will take either one. 3 4.17%
I don't care about a fireplace for me, but think I need it for resale. 8 11.11%
I don't want any fireplace. I would rather have the space. 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:03 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Just curious about the general preferences of Triangle homeowners and buyers regarding fireplaces.

What is your preference?

The Poll is eternally open. You get one choice. You will be anonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Nothing like looking down the throat of a real wood burning fire.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
Nothing beats a 'real' fireplace fire with burning wood. I absolutely love the real deal even with all the downsides. My grown kids all have instant (remote) gas fired fireplaces and I can't stand the smell. Apples and oranges .....

Old 08-30-2016, 05:58 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
We relocated back up North due to my husbands job, but our home in NC has a wood burning fire place. Nothing like Cedar or Cherry burning during the Winter looking at falling snow flakes! Boy, do I miss my fireplace!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:12 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Don't care one way or the other about having a fireplace really (I guess it is better for resale) but if I'm going to have one; I'd rather it be the real deal. I have a fireplace surounded by built-ins now which is a good look but it's unfortunately a gas fireplace.

I agree with the person above who said they hate the smell of a gas fireplace. That smell gives me a headache. I like the smell that a wood-burining fireplace gives off though.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just curious about the general preferences of Triangle homeowners and buyers regarding fireplaces.

What is your preference?

The Poll is eternally open. You get one choice. You will be anonymous.
We had a fireplace in all three homes. Never wanted one. Would rather have the space.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I love a wood burning fireplace, and had one in my last home. But I rarely used it. I have a gas fireplace in my current home and use it all the time. Flip a switch, instant fire. Want to go out or go to bed? Flip a switch. For me, the convenience outweighs the sound and smell from the wood burning fireplace.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
You gotta commit to wood, where with gas you can just use the thing for 20 minutes if you want.

Obviously the real deal is better, but you can't beat the convenience of gas.

Gas fireplace inside, wood fire pit outside.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
I had a real wood fireplace in my first house and never used it. I considered it too much work and didn't want the lingering smoke smell in my house.

My second house had a gas fireplace and I loved it! We used it throughout the winter and found it heated up our downstairs nicely so we didn't have to run the heat as high.

Our new (3rd) house also has a gas fireplace and I know we'll use it just as much as our last house. I don't notice a smell at all as others have noted.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:02 PM

188 posts, read 151,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You gotta commit to wood, where with gas you can just use the thing for 20 minutes if you want.
This summed up my thoughts before I got a chance to try

I love the smell, crackle, and quirks of an old school wood fire, but I don't like the commitment, the maintenance, the mess, the wood storage, etc.

The smell of anything (good or bad) loses its luster quickly as the nose adapts. I have smelled gas fireplaces before but I think they were improperly installed (and even if they do smell the owner probably gets used to it and cannot smell it after the first day or so). I have also seen gas fireplaces that had poor heat output and didn't add a lot of ambiance / character to the room, but I have also seen good gas fireplace installs that had plenty of heat and beauty.

But at the end of it all, in this area at least, gas fireplaces end up winning, because the beauty and ambiance is easily achievable, cost to operate is laughably low, heat output is typically more than adequate (since they are usually not the only source of heat in the home), and most homeowners do not want to regularly invest time in the startup and wind-down of a real fire.

Convenience wins out in this case. Some of these ceramic logs are visually indistinguishable to the naked eye, and are a joy to own. There's nothing less real about the actual fire. Only less trees killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary