Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Native NC-ers, did you think this was an especially hot summer? 'Cause I didn't, but I might not be the best judge 'cause I like it hot.
I thought it was especially hot and muggy this summer. Every time I looked at the weather map it seemed that tropical air and moisture was coming up out of the Gulf making things feel hotter. I like it hot too, but I'm ready for some cool temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,946 times
Quote:
Native NC-ers, did you think this was an especially hot summer? 'Cause I didn't, but I might not be the best judge 'cause I like it hot. I really haven't felt it much at all this summer, but I was gone for the second half of June. Now, in July 2012 — THAT was hot and we did bug out and go to the mountains (always 10-20 degrees cooler in Boone; it was in the 80s when it was in the 100s here). This summer has seemed pretty much par for the course IMO, but my view may be skewed. Weather records do show it's heating up everywhere.
I agree with you. I didn't think it was especially hot.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:08 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
The winters here are very depressing for me.
What don't you like about the winters?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
I did think it was hotter than usual, but not extremely hot...like others have said, it was more of a constant 94 degree high humidity thing than having high high temps. I think the highest we got this summer was 102? That's not bad at all. I went to Arkansas for a week in August and my first day there the air temp was 105 and heat index was 118. Glad it doesn't get like that here. This summer seemed a lot drier than normal, too. As for activities during the heat...no idea. I hide in my room all day except for work and grocery shopping, just reading eating and watching TV lol. Starting in September is usually when I start to creep out of my cave and start going to the beach, going on hikes, walking around the neighborhood, camping, etc and this will last, for me, until around next April. Autumn here in amazing, absolutely amazing! I will be outside every single day lol. Winter too. Winters are pretty mild here. I love it.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What don't you like about the winters?
I don't like it if it's cold, or grey, or rainy, and about 3/4ths of the days in winter have one of those three going for it. If it's a mild sunny day in the 50s or higher I can deal. Or if it snows for a day or so that's fun. If it's anything else it's no fun for me. The worst is when it's about 38 and raining. Not cold enough to snow, but so dreary and the kind of damp cold that just seeps into you.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,928 times
After nearly 30 years here, there really aren't any "normal" seasons from one year to the next. Some summers are hotter than others, with extreme temps and horrible humidity. Sometimes it's comfortable enough to wear shorts in early November. Spring can be brief and winter can be very little snow, cold, or ice or to the other extreme as well. I've even had the AC on on NY's Day! Fall can be beautiful and others not so much depending on how much rain, or lack thereof. You just never know.

Overall, this Spring and Summer has been wetter than normal, especially the summer, which can be very, very dry putting into severe drought. I know because my slab normally really drops in the summer when we don't get enough rain, plus we didn't really have any serious water restrictions as in years past. Hurricane season has been pretty low level too this year and past couple, IMO, but this one could change any day since it goes into November. I'm seeing some trees showing signs of changing colors already, which I find worrisome. Might we have a colder than normal winter?

One thing that's really strange around here is the squirrels get something called squirrel bot flies, which look like large bumps on their skin. It's a parasite that contains a larvae. I'd never seen or heard of it before moving here. Some squirrels get so many it looks like they can barely walk and they look like they're in pain. I don't think it will kill them, but it does look awful! I've been noticing some with them already. Here's more about that, which happens as fall approaches:

tree squirrel bot fly - Cuterebra emasculator Fitch

Last edited by hula; 09-05-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 11:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Gah, that's gross hula. Not sure I've ever seen that on a squirrel. I wonder if it's localized — if you get a lot of the squirrel bot flies in one area and they keep infesting the poor squirrels there.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:47 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,928 times
Quote:
Gah, that's gross hula. Not sure I've ever seen that on a squirrel. I wonder if it's localized — if you get a lot of the squirrel bot flies in one area and they keep infesting the poor squirrels there.
I started seeing it 20+ years ago in Chapel Hill and have been back in Durham for the last 16 and it's here too. Same thing every year. Yes, it is gross!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:30 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,763,782 times
I thought this past Winter was very mild and the Summer was about what I expected. Hot and muggy most of the time. Coming from up North I will take the trade off of 8 weeks plus of freezing cold for forced indoor activity in the Summer here in NC. You gotta figure it would be hot this is the South ya know.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:38 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,772,002 times
with 'global' warming all the northerners who come here to avoid the cold will eventually want to head back north to get away from the heat. Sorry, you won't be able to afford those high taxes, housing costs, etc when you want to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary