Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That bar graph on your first link shows 2016 as being kind of middle of the pack as far as heat index.
That graph compared our data through the end of July to full-year data for the rest of the years. We're now up to the third highest in that graph behind 2010 and 1999. Pick RDU and chart the data here:

Heat Index Climatology | State Climate Office of North Carolina

But while we've had a lot of days with heat index 100-109 his year, we haven't had the real heat to drive the heat index to 110+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Thanks for catching that SFspiderman.

Here's what it looks like right now:
Heat Index Climatology: Output | State Climate Office of North Carolina

I'm a little under the weather (ha!) and my brain is not in gear enough to make a thoughtful analysis of it. Do you think the data for 2016 would change much going through the end of the year? Do you think the other years are complete years and not just June, July, August?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
I think part of the trouble was our spring was rather mild, even up to and through June, so when the torch turned on in July/August, we hadnt really experienced many 90+ days up to that point. For me, the real challenge the last 12 or so months (up until August) has been the humidity/excess rain. I have never had so much mildew on my back deck or roof as I have in the years I've lived here. Also, my fescue was very healthy until August with no irrigation - now of course it is dead in any place that gets more than 3 hours of sun per day.

For me, the heat is dictated by how high the low temperatures are for the day (which also links to dewpoint). I cant remember so many days with lows in the mid-upper 70s.

I was in DC at the end of July and walked about 20k steps in downtown DC on what had to be the hottest day of the year there (just as hot or hotter than anything we have had this year), so I think most of the country was miserable.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:03 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
I'm a little under the weather (ha!) and my brain is not in gear enough to make a thoughtful analysis of it. Do you think the data for 2016 would change much going through the end of the year? Do you think the other years are complete years and not just June, July, August?
The other years are complete, yes. Doubt we'll rise much more...likely not all. Even with a few low 90s over the next week, I'd be surprised if the heat index got up to 100.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:17 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Funny one of my favorite things about winter here is not just the warmer temps, but the fact that it is usually sunny even if it's not bitterly cold. Up north if it's warm it's cloudy, if the sky is blue and cloudless that usually means it's too cold to go outside.
I feel the same. I don't know if my perspective is skewed, but I associate winters in NJ with grey gloomy days. When I think of a winter day in the triangle, in my mind's eye, there's a clear blue sky with lots of radiant heat from the sun. Perhaps I am still experiencing the honeymoon effect.

I certainly feel that the sun is much stronger. There have been many days where the temperatures have been in the 50-60s, but if I am in directly in the sun, it feels so much hotter then when I stood in the sun in NJ.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
What to do when it's crazy hot?

Stay in and play on the Internet. Did you ever notice the number of posts from Raleigh/Durham on City-Data is much higher than most cities?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's how I approach summer. I try to get out in it every day. I do like it warmer than the average human. I think I have a reptilian ancestor back there somewhere or am solar-powered. I need a little sunshine and heat in my life everyday.
Same here - after years in the constant 70-90s of Singapore I am dreading the end of summer. While it gets hotter here than in Singapore, not as consistently humid and it was rarely uncomfortable for me. A few nights out it got muggy and buggy though.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
SF Bay Area has been perfect this summer. Snuggling in overnite and beautiful sunny air conditioned like days!
Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years - SFGate

It's going to be a perfect Indian summer September and October then off to Honolulu for the winter.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM

119 posts, read 201,221 times
What to do in the heat? I simply shift my outdoor activities (where possible) to the mornings or evenings. Anything you'd do on a nice day you can do in 85-degree weather in the morning or evening, as long as you put on some athletic/outdoors clothing and don't mind a little sweat!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
SF Bay Area has been perfect this summer. Snuggling in overnite and beautiful sunny air conditioned like days!
Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years - SFGate

It's going to be a perfect Indian summer September and October then off to Honolulu for the winter.
I hate you. So so so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary