Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 AM

376 posts, read 654,084 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Now that it has been 1 year in Raleigh and I've seen just about every season with summer ALMOST over, thought I'd ask/reflect a little:

First, I hope this has been a "normal" year and I think it has been...but then I don't know any better

Coming from San Francisco, obviously an adjustment, both for the heat and the cold, and especially for the humidity. Luckily I'd spent a decent amount of time in Atlanta and Miami and knew a little what to expect.

I overestimated the heat and humidity...I feel like it didn't really get bad until end of June, where I was expecting it to start way earlier, around Memorial Day.

Everyone told me July and August are the worst and that sounds right...of course I see we can still be hot after Labor Day, like 90's all this upcoming week.

The biggest thing to get used to is it's a not a 5-7 day heat, it is 6-8 weeks straight of humid warm days...not unbearable but its not "oh it'll pass on soon". Also, although you can go to the beach, it is just as warm there, total opposite of the Pacific.

What are suggestions to do other than the mall/beach/movies when it is stupid hot? I mean those days when it is 100+ heat index all day...

Also, was this winter mild? There was just 3-4 days of ice I remember, not much snow. I'll admit it is different having sub-freezing nights for 7-10 days straight, in SF 1-2 is a newsworthy event On a whole though, the winter was great- cold which was nice for a little bit, but then it warms up quick too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM

363 posts, read 433,537 times
Yes, most people underestimate the heat and cold in NC. We may not get a lot of snow, but it does get extremely cold. NC is truly a four seasons state. With that being said, I am surprised the weather is the thing you're worried about. I would think adjusting here is the main concern, since San Francisco is one of the most vibrant and desired states to live in, and now you're in NC which is nice but very slow based and less interesting in comparison.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:53 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
This summer was hotter than usual on average, but we didn't have the peak heat we sometimes get with temps over 100. This past winter was also a bit milder than usual if I'm remembering correctly. Fell like we didn't have a real good cold snap with lows in the teens for several days in a row, but maybe I just forgot. We were also a bit light on the snow this year, but that's always highly variable.

Culture change would definitely be there for the OP, though if they were in Fremont rather than SF proper as their location suggests it wouldn't be nearly as much. SF has plenty of suburbia just like we do.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
since San Francisco is one of the most vibrant and desired states to live in, .
At least the schools teach geography though

Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
I lived in Raleigh for 11 months...I grew up in FL, but coming from California this humidity must be a shock for you. But it's really not bad compared to cities further South, and you get a very nice spring/fall/winter as well. Raleigh's weather is amazing compared to Florida.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
For me, the thing about NC's weather is that it's way more unpredictable than the weather in the SF Bay Area and South Florida. Each passing year can vary from the previous one or be nearly the same. It's all over the board. I find this to be especially true for the Winters. The temps can yo-yo all season depending on whether the prevailing fronts come from the north or the south. The Winter can have no snow or ice at all or it can have a few events. In fact, the Triangle can go years without a Winter weather event and then have several years in a row with Winter events. This past Christmas was freakishly warm with flowers blooming and new grass sprouting between Christmas and New Year. That's not typical but nothing surprises me in NC Winters anymore.
As far as seasons go, I think that the Fall is the most stable and predictable. It's usually pleasantly warm or mild with dry days and lots of Sun.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
This was a mild winter. Was it two years ago when it got down close to 0? Stayed below freezing for several days and we had lows in the single digits. That was an exceptionally cold winter.

I was gone for 3 weeks at the end of June and beginning of July, but the portion of the summer I have been here for this is pretty typical. In 2012 or 2011 we had more than a week where the temp (not the real feel) was over 100. THAT was hot. This is just average.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM

346 posts, read 339,382 times
Funny I thought this was one of the more humid summers here and when I was working out of my condo in Az I fight like it was a hotter than normal summer. Maybe global warming is really here to stay. Congrats on your 1st year here.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:19 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
What are suggestions to do other than the mall/beach/movies when it is stupid hot? I mean those days when it is 100+ heat index all day...
The options are limited. 1 . Go to the neighborhood pool. 2. Stay inside or 3. Go to a mountain place at at least 3500 feet above sea level.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:22 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Funny I thought this was one of the more humid summers here and when I was working out of my condo in Az I fight like it was a hotter than normal summer. Maybe global warming is really here to stay. Congrats on your 1st year here.
Yeah this is definitely the most humid summer since we moved here 6 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary