Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Maybe it's the water in Philly that makes cheesesteaks there better?
I've never heard Schuylkill Punch being named as an asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,598,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've never heard Schuylkill Punch being named as an asset.
haha idk, but apparently it helps for New York pizza & bagels

Old 12-31-2016, 02:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times
Quote:
haha idk, but apparently it helps for New York pizza & bagels
Let me tell you about the magical mystical NYC water. . .it comes from the same reservoir at the Delaware Water Gap that my water in South Jersey came from. NY transplants would complain, bitterly, about the local pizza & blame it on the water.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,786 times
:d:d:d

Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
There's an awesome food truck but I can't recall the name of it right now. But it has the best/most authentic in the area.
I think you're thinking of either King's or Philly's. King's is better than Philly's, but neither is as good as Anvil's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What good is a place like Anvil's if they don't have cheese whiz?
For one, provy is the authentic cheese to put on a cheesesteak given that the first cheesesteak debuted in the early '30s while Cheese Whiz didn't come along until the early '50s.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:17 PM

703 posts, read 781,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Ugh, I don't care to explain honestly. I gave examples. If you need recipes....ugh, fine you're right. Jersey mikes is great and ny bagels makes a terrific cheesesteak. It's just cheese steak and bread duh how hard can it be. carry on.
While I don't necessarily agree with Rory's take on which cheesesteaks are best and which are undesirable, I do get his passion (and greatly appreciate that he's fine with folks liking what they like). I have remarkably similar feelings when there's a discussion on this board about burgers in the Raleigh/Durham area. While Philly might be the cheesesteak capital, I was spoiled by the abundance of great burger joints in Pittsburgh. So when I see folks on this board touting places like Bad Daddy's or Red Robin or Burgerfi, I have the same reaction as Rory w re to Jersey Mike's.

W re to cheesesteaks in the area though, I do like Anvils a good deal and they're my favorite, locally. They could put just a bit more meat on their sandwiches though, in my opinion. Either that, or the buns just aren't long enough. I'm never quite filled up like I am after eating one in Philly.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
Still nobody has told me what is wrong with a Jersey Mike's cheese steak One person mentioned that the cheese was weird...that's it.

At this point I'm still thinking it's just chain snobbery.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,598,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Still nobody has told me what is wrong with a Jersey Mike's cheese steak One person mentioned that the cheese was weird...that's it.

At this point I'm still thinking it's just chain snobbery.
There's nothing wrong but it isn't anything out of the ordinary or great. Those are two completely different things. There's nothing wrong with hamburgers at McDonald's either

Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,222,809 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong but it isn't anything out of the ordinary or great. Those are two completely different things. There's nothing wrong with hamburgers at McDonald's either
Well the same person mocking Jersey Mike's said that they use "Steak-Um's". So either they a.) have never had a steak and cheese at Jersey Mike's or b.) don't know what Steak-Um's are. Therefore their opinion is worthless to this thread.

This is NC, not Philly. You aren't going to find an authentic Philly because this ain't Philly!

I wonder if there's a argument on the Philly board about who has the best NC BBQ.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,786 times
Wahhhh! Get a clue. You're right it is NC. How dare we hope for anything good other than what's made right here in NC. Want pizza? Better go to Naples! Want good Chinese food, hey hope you like long flights! This here is NC, where we only expect to eat BBQ, yee haw! Keep it movin dude.

I'll answer for the person who asked politely, gladly - the bread is flavorless, it should be crispy on the outside and soft inside and have a particular flavor that's hard to describe other than "good bread" flavor for those who grew up in an area w good rolls. It should NOT be soggy, and it is actually more golden than white on the outside. JM uses pale, sad, soggy rolls in comparison to a fresh, real, cheesesteak. The meat is also flavorless, scraps of thinly sliced low grade steak vs the right cut and the right amount. It also shouldn't be slathered in mayo and lettuce tomato, etc. The onions, peppers, also have no flavor and barely add a bit of texture change, if that, because they are sloppy and mushy too. Nevermind the cheese, which is probably the least of their problems.

Overall, it just isn't a cheesesteak. It's fine for what it is, you like it, you like it, but it's not a cheesesteak, it's a "steak and cheese sub." If you're reading this and not getting it, that's fine, think what you think, I'm not losing any sleep, just answering the question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary