Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
But if you drop internet from my cable package you're left with around $50 a month. I don't have DVR's, but DVR's are sort of useless on a cable-cut because you're watching everything after the live-air anyway.
I'm not trying to talk you in or out of anything. If you can live with a $50/mo cable package that's great - I doubt most households/families would. And I assume most households are going to have internet access regardless. If you want HD, DVR and several TV's you're going to spend a lot more than $50/mo. And even higher if you want lots of channels.

I can get almost 50 live HD channels including local majors with PlayStation Vue for $40/mo, includes cloud DVR and I can watch on 3 devices (TV, PC, tablet, phone) at at time - without a contract. You'd pay double or triple for that with cable or satellite - and be locked in with a 2 year contract.

What's best depends on each user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
If you have a playstation 4, the Playstation VUE service is pretty good and affordable. You can get channel packages starting at about $30 a month.
Or if you live in or near New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco or Miami you can get all that AND live local major channels for $40/mo. So you don't have to fuss with OTA. An even better replacement for cable or satellite. And YouTube TV just rolled out something similar, also $40/mo (PSVue has more "good" channels IMO).

Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
most triple play-type package promotions are $99/mo. Add on the fees and boxes and all that bs, and i guess it's around $120 or so? Internet alone will cost 40-50, so i figure the tv and phone are costing me 70-80 bucks. If i need to buy phone, even less. how much once the promo period ends?

a lot of the people with these enormous cable bills have 5 boxes, 3 dvr's, premium channels, etc. people with families who love sports. We know a family that's paying over $270/mo for a triple play. Not me, but there are many households like that.
fwiw

Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I went from $150/month for cable tv with DVR rental, HD fee, guide fee, etc. to $30/month for Playstation Vue. I had separate internet before, so that hasn't changed.

I had up from cost for a couple of Roku boxes, a Tablo DVR (and lifetime guide) and an OTA antenna. I had Netflix and Amazon before and still have those, so not including them. I have pretty much all the shows I watched before (Vikings on History is about the only thing I can think of that I watched that I don't get). The one exception is that because it is so easy to get HBO just when Game of Thrones is on, I only sign up for it for a couple of months a year to keep up with GOT and then binge other shows I enjoy (so another $30/yr on top of my $30/mo for Vue).

I still watch shows other than sports time-shifted via DVR (Vue's Cloud DVR, Tablo for OTA). I have access to Vue and Tablo (and Netflix and Amazon and HBO) via my iPhone/iPad. No hidden fees.

My up front costs were covered in 6 months or so. I actually prefer the Tablo and the Vue/Tablo apps to using the cable DVR. I would not ever go back to cable.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not trying to talk you in or out of anything. If you can live with a $50/mo cable package that's great - I doubt most households/families would. And I assume most households are going to have internet access regardless. If you want HD, DVR and several TV's you're going to spend a lot more than $50/mo. And even higher if you want lots of channels.

I can get almost 50 live HD channels including local majors with PlayStation Vue for $40/mo, includes cloud DVR and I can watch on 3 devices (TV, PC, tablet, phone) at at time - without a contract. You'd pay double or triple for that with cable or satellite - and be locked in with a 2 year contract.

What's best depends on each user.
We have two boxes, both HD. We don't use DVR, but you're not getting DVR when you cut the cord either, unless you build or buy one. We have a ton of channels, we don't have premium channels like HBO or anything like that.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We canceled Dish after one night coming to the realization that there really wasn't anything on TV...despite our 200 channels! Another benefit is no more unsightly cable boxes over/under/around our TVs. With the Roku Stick or a Roku integrated TV you just mount the TV and plug it in. That's it. No other cords to run. Looks nice and clean.

It's not for everyone. If you watch hours of TV a night, go for cable! The two experiences are vastly different.
Another reason we switched to streaming. We get 40 something channels and will watch at least half of them. With Dish Network we paid more than twice as much and got over 140 channels, but we sat and counted one day and we had never once watched 121 of the channels we had. Just useless clutter.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
We have two boxes, both HD. We don't use DVR, but you're not getting DVR when you cut the cord either, unless you build or buy one.
False. As I've already noted several times, cloud DVR is included with PlayStation Vue (automatic and unlimited for 28 days) and YouTube TV (automatic and unlimited for 9 months), and Sling and DirecTV Now claim they are working on adding a DVR function. Hulu Live tbd. We have used the PS and YTTV DVR functions, they're great. And you can skip thru commercials for some all recorded programming, like cable or satellite. And all the streaming services have on demand, a huge library of past programming - in essence shows DVR'd for you, available whenever you want.

PSV and YTTV offer streaming on 3 devices at a time, and 5-6 accounts, so I guess other family members can watch as long as no more than 3 at a time. Cable/satellite can't do that, at least not without another upcharge.

You might want to take another look. Streaming is evolving fast, there's way more available now than even a year ago. It used to be mostly on demand only (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon) which doesn't replace live programming. But now there are real "cord cutting" cable/satellite streaming replacements like Sling and DirecTV Now with OTA or PS Vue, YouTube and Hulu Live with no OTA needed in major markets. It will only spread from here.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-06-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Question: I cut the cord years ago, I have a Mohu Leaf, Netflix and Amazon Prime, all of which plays easily over my SmartTV.
I have the same things plus Hulu and $25 TWC internet.

I had Amazon Prime & Netflix even when I had cable TV, so I don't calculate them into my savings.

Now instead of paying $99 for cable TV & internet I pay $35 for Hulu and internet.

I have all my favorite shows and more movies & series than I can possibly watch.
I rarely even watch Amazon Prime movies but order so much from Amazon that I keep Prime anyway.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM

260 posts, read 638,250 times
If you are technical savvy, go with IPTV. Buy a MAG254 box on Ebay and IPTV pkg of your liking. Some IPTV pkgs have access via iOS and Android devices which allows you to see view TV anywhere.

I am trying this option ($100/year) out before dropping Spectrum TV.

I'd like to know what was experience dealing with Spectrum when converting from Spectrum Internet+TV to just Spectrum Internet.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
False. As I've already noted several times, cloud DVR is included with PlayStation Vue (automatic and unlimited for 28 days) and YouTube TV (automatic and unlimited for 9 months), and Sling and DirecTV Now claim they are working on adding a DVR function. Hulu Live tbd. We have used the PS and YTTV DVR functions, they're great. And you can skip thru commercials for some all recorded programming, like cable or satellite. And all the streaming services have on demand, a huge library of past programming - in essence shows DVR'd for you, available whenever you want.

PSV and YTTV offer streaming on 3 devices at a time, and 5-6 accounts, so I guess other family members can watch as long as no more than 3 at a time. Cable/satellite can't do that, at least not without another upcharge.

You might want to take another look. Streaming is evolving fast, there's way more available now than even a year ago. It used to be mostly on demand only (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon) which doesn't replace live programming. But now there are real "cord cutting" cable/satellite streaming replacements like Sling and DirecTV Now with OTA or PS Vue, YouTube and Hulu Live with no OTA needed in major markets. It will only spread from here.
I stand corrected.

I think cutting the cord and streaming is good for those who desire premium content. For people like me who are good without premium add-ons, I don't think it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary