Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
The difference between even 99.99999% and 100% is literally night and day. Anything less than 100% totality and you cannot look without proper eye protection. It will still be hundreds of times brighter than in total eclipse. You will NOT get the corona, you will NOT see "Baily's beads," you will NOT have almost any of the phenomena related to eclipses.

Spoke to a few eclipse chasers and they put it this way to me. "It's like going to the Super Bowl but watching from the parking lot" or "You get 5 out of 6 numbers the lottery."

So yes, you may be able to see the shadow of the moon crossing the sun with correct glasses but you will not have the life changing experience that EVERY person I have spoken to that been in totality speaks of.
ok I think I'm going to go and just sleep in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post

My biggest problem with it is it's at the hottest part of the day, in August, in North Carolina.
That's why I'm happy about my observation point in the mountains of NC!

Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1 View Post
I will probably miss it.

Will it break a camera lens? Just wondering.
I think you'll need some sort of filter to take pictures of it.....

Article I saw earlier about it: https://spark.adobe.com/page/bVN32u6sz39gJ/

Old 07-18-2017, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 7,052 times
Partial at best here in Pennsylvania. I have never seen one. Always cloudy if there was one.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1 View Post
I will probably miss it.

Will it break a camera lens? Just wondering.
I think it might damage the camera. Not the lens, though. Google it. I would like to take some photos, but I got overwhelmed with all the info out there.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:14 PM

22 posts, read 37,115 times
that makes two of us. I will actually only do the back way! Not telling my route

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
We’re still debating plans, and may make it a last minute call based on weather. If we go, it’ll just be a day trip heading toward Columbia or Charleston. I’d think leaving by 7 or 8 AM should give enough time. If things bottle up on the roads, we may bail out to back roads and if it ends up really bad we’ll just get as close as we can to the path of totality when the time comes.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
It will be about a 75% eclipse in PR, so yes, it will be very visible.
Hey thanks for that. I look forward to it. Lady and I will find a nice private beach somewhere. Should be cool.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Spoke to a few eclipse chasers and they put it this way to me. "It's like going to the Super Bowl but watching from the parking lot" or "You get 5 out of 6 numbers the lottery."

So yes, you may be able to see the shadow of the moon crossing the sun with correct glasses but you will not have the life changing experience that EVERY person I have spoken to that been in totality speaks of.
Hmmm, I can live without it I'm pretty sure. I gave birth to 3 kids including a set of twins....that will have to do for life changing events. The suckage of getting stuck in traffic outweighs any possible benefit for me.
No one who really cares about the game would go to the Superbowl anyway LOL.

PS Amazon has eclipse glasses for those of you who expect to wake up a completely different person on the 22nd than you were on the 21st.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No one who really cares about the game would go to the Superbowl anyway LOL.
*College Football/Basketball Championship Game if you're a fan of Team X (drove down to Tampa just to be in the area of the stadium when Clemson played this year haha, couldn't justify paying a couple grand for tickets)

Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
This from my FB feed today moments before I came to the forum today https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal.../#da0026447bee

Last edited by Repatriot; 07-18-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary