Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times

Advertisements

The back roads were certainly much better than the highways if you knew where to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
All back roads to/from St Matthews SC yesterday (US 1 to Aberdeen, US 15 to Sumter, US 378-SC 263-US 601). No problems.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
My husband got home around midnight. After dropping one son back off at school in Charlotte he drove the back roads home. He should have taken back roads from Clemson to Charlotte - rookie mistake I guess. Over 8 hours to get home.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Sooo I was one of 8000 people at Gorges State Park hoping to see totality but instead getting torrential rain :-O

My new rule is don't travel to see an eclipse but a trip to the mountains is never a total bust, plus that park is great.

We saw about 50% partial eclipse before the clouds and rain messed it up - I felt really bad for the guys with all of the scientific equipment.

I was parked near the exit so no problem leaving for me, but after two hours in traffic in Brevard with the second-worst headache of my life I stayed over and came home this morning. Money well spent because I was clutching my head.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Sooo I was one of 8000 people at Gorges State Park hoping to see totality but instead getting torrential rain :-O

My new rule is don't travel to see an eclipse but a trip to the mountains is never a total bust, plus that park is great.

We saw about 50% partial eclipse before the clouds and rain messed it up - I felt really bad for the guys with all of the scientific equipment.

I was parked near the exit so no problem leaving for me, but after two hours in traffic in Brevard with the second-worst headache of my life I stayed over and came home this morning. Money well spent because I was clutching my head.
That stinks! I didn't hear of it raining anywhere. Guess that's not good PR LOL.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
We went to Lake Greenwood State Park in SC midway between Columbia and Greenville and about 20 or 30 miles south of I-26. It was amazing. I don't know if it was life-changing for me, but I could see how it could give someone a divine sense of cosmology that could be life-changing for them.

Absolutely worth it to be there for totality for us.

Traffic was a little hairy coming back, but we went back roads all the way and it took us about 6 hrs, which isn't bad really. It's 5 hrs on the backroads w/o traffic and we did make a couple of stops on the way home.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
All back roads to/from St Matthews SC yesterday (US 1 to Aberdeen, US 15 to Sumter, US 378-SC 263-US 601). No problems.
We stopped just south of Sumter. Easy drive.

Interested to hear how dark it got in St Matthews. I'm guessing we were about 8-10 miles into the shadow, Venus and several stars were visible, but some clouds off to the north were still sunset red and it didn't get truly dark (more late twighlight). Birds started roosting but didn't hear the cicadas come out.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That stinks! I didn't hear of it raining anywhere. Guess that's not good PR LOL.
Right?! There were a few news stories about it local to that area but not that many. I should have gone with my gut, actually...the chance of rain was 40% but Darksky app has been failing me so I didn't trust it (I should have)

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Ah, sorry NorasMom. It didn't occur to me until just now, but that's rainforest territory there. It was all blue skies with a few puffy white clouds off around the horizon where we were in SC. I would definitely travel to another eclipse if the timing works out, but I could also be satisfied with this experience. The totality was amazing.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ah, sorry NorasMom. It didn't occur to me until just now, but that's rainforest territory there. It was all blue skies with a few puffy white clouds off around the horizon where we were in SC. I would definitely travel to another eclipse if the timing works out, but I could also be satisfied with this experience. The totality was amazing.
Glad you got to see it! Yup I should have thought of that and I'm curious about how it was in Brevard. I think it rained but they may have seen more. I was hoping to keep things a little cooler as I had my dog with me for the day, but it was actually VERY hot before the rain, LOL.

The one in 2024 will go right over several family members' homes so maybe I will travel to that after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary