Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

We've done Raleigh to Philly before. It's reasonable. More comfortable than flying. Dining car is entertaining. We got a roomette because the train left super early and we wanted to be able to sleep awhile on the way. The scenery is dull.

But, it's better than driving if you like to stretch your legs and don't want to bother with traffic.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Dh was going to take Amtrak last time he went to see his parents ... couldn't see any negatives, although we've done NYC--->DC and the scenery is not that exciting on that leg. Seems a good bet since you won't need to find a place for your car once you're in NYC.
Actually, it's Amtrak or fly. No way are we taking a car into Manhattan!

If we did Amtrak, it would probably be on the way up, and fly on the way back. . .

No one is available to pick us up at the NY airports. We'll be Ubering or public transportation.

LLN - My 74 year old husband and I fly to SE Asian and South Africa in coach. NO WAY are we doing first class for a short flight to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 03:38 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Pros:

Comfortable seats with good leg room, plus there's usually no one sitting next to you so you get that extra room too

Can take more baggage than you can take on a plane, plus you can pack shampoo, liquid soap, etc. without having to think about the size

Cheaper than flying

Don't have to deal with airport security craziness, just arrive about 20 minutes before departure time and wait on the platform as if you're waiting for the subway

Cons:

It's a long ride although between napping and watching movies on youtube or surfing the internet it really isn't that bad

The "food" available for sale isn't worth buying but this is easily solved by bringing your own food

All things considered, I think taking Amtrak from Cary to Penn Station is a good option - especially for people with a fear of flying!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

All things considered, I think taking Amtrak from Cary to Penn Station is a good option - especially for people with a fear of flying!
Any difference between leaving from Cary or leaving from Raleigh? We're in Brier Creek and will probably be dropped off by a neighbor.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Any difference between leaving from Cary or leaving from Raleigh? We're in Brier Creek and will probably be dropped off by a neighbor.
I'm sorry, I don't know, I've only used the Cary Amtrak station. I imagine there's no difference but it would be better to hear for sure from someone who has used both stations.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I've never had this happen - honestly shocked to hear this given Amtrak's abysmal ridership.
I am sure it was a computer issue, but the guy I spoke to was oblivious.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know, I've only used the Cary Amtrak station. I imagine there's no difference but it would be better to hear for sure from someone who has used both stations.
The Cary station is currently better than Raleigh - the parking situation at the Raleigh station is awful during peak travel times.. Not sure how it will be when the new station opens up.

Quote:
Cons:

It's a long ride although between napping and watching movies on youtube or surfing the internet it really isn't that bad
The Wifi network is based off of cell service so in rural areas between Raleigh and DC, it sucks.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
I am moderately prone to motion sickness when working or reading while in motion. For whatever reason, I get motion sick in cars, buses, and on airplanes when they're not rock-solid at cruising altitude (which you wouldn't be for long, between Raleigh and NYC.) On the other hand, I have never gotten motion sickness on a train.

Now, if you were heading south to Florida from here, you can't beat boarding the Silver Star in Cary. Perfect schedule for an overnight train. However, the tip I always give for riding the train to the northeast, is to board it in Rocky Mount.
Reasons:
1. You do have to drive about 1 hour from here to Rocky Mount, but it's all freeway and traffic is almost never an issue. Plus, it cuts 2 hours off of the train ride, so it's a worthwhile trade, IMO.
2. Ample free parking at the station (And it feels pretty safe - the police station is right next door.)
3. There are 4 trains per day bound for the Northeast Corridor instead of 2 so you have lots of schedule options in both directions and also more alternatives for re-booking in the unlikely event of a cancellation. (Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, and Carolinian.)
4. It breaks up the trip so it's a bit less monotonous.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
GPC

Quote:
The Wifi network is based off of cell service so in rural areas between Raleigh and DC, it sucks.
I must have been napping in those areas because the wifi service was pretty good during my ride.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
the parking situation at the Raleigh station is awful during peak travel times.. Not sure how it will be when the new station opens up.
The short answer is, no one knows. Some number of parking spaces will be made available in a parking deck a block away. Exactly how many, and what the price of parking will be, we don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
the tip I always give for riding the train to the northeast, is to board it in Rocky Mount.
Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary