Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,616 times

Advertisements

Coming to Chapel Hill with family to look at new house and schools, moving there this coming summer from Sweden. Lots to learn and find out, most important for our trip there in october/november though is trick or treating , since that is what is on the agenda for our 10 ýear old. Our house ís in the Oaks, by a golf course so question is , anything going on there or do we go somewhere else? We have not explored our new neighbourhood yet since we live on the other side of an ocean for a few more months so counting on help. I am also interested in other things to show our Children so they get a good vibe from Chapel Hill - their new home in a few months. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivvi View Post
Coming to Chapel Hill with family to look at new house and schools, moving there this coming summer from Sweden. Lots to learn and find out, most important for our trip there in october/november though is trick or treating , since that is what is on the agenda for our 10 ýear old. Our house ís in the Oaks, by a golf course so question is , anything going on there or do we go somewhere else? We have not explored our new neighbourhood yet since we live on the other side of an ocean for a few more months so counting on help. I am also interested in other things to show our Children so they get a good vibe from Chapel Hill - their new home in a few months. Suggestions?
I have a couple of friends who live in The Oaks. Very nice neighborhood! I'm not sure about the Trick or Treating there as the houses are spread pretty far apart. But I am sure that it is very good in nearby Meadowmont where the houses are much closer together.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Halloween is on a Tuesday this year and that's when the trick or treating will happen. Sometimes towns move their Halloween celebrations to the weekend, but Chapel Hill never does that. I would think The Oaks would have some good trick or treating, but if you like mobs of kids in costumes running around, Meadowmont might be a good suggestion. I never wanted my kids to come back with that much candy so we always stick to our little neighborhood.

There is also a big celebration "Homegrown Halloween" downtown on Franklin Street. It's been years since I've been, since it's not really geared toward families (although it's not an adults only event and kids and families are welcome). They close off the street and then everybody parades around in their costumes. Lots of college students. There is no open alcohol, but businesses are still open. They have tried pretty successfully to rein it in over the past several years and have gotten it down from 80,000 people to a more manageable 35,000.

Weaver Street Market in Carrboro
has a sweet celebration for smaller kids on Oct 20th I believe. They have a costume contest and spooky stories. It's a really nice time and all the families love it. I believe the town of Carrboro also has a Halloween celebration at the Town Commons on the Friday evening before Halloween.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM

259 posts, read 243,314 times
I would recommend signing up for NextDoor. That site now features a map showing which neighbors will have treats on their doorstep.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM

430 posts, read 626,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
I would recommend signing up for NextDoor. That site now features a map showing which neighbors will have treats on their doorstep.
That strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. I think the "If the porch light is on we're giving out candy" system works well.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Yeah, I would trust a porch light over NextDoor. I'm on NextDoor, but I don't think all of my neighbors are. If the house has Halloween decorations and the porch light on, then that one's a good one.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-10-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
That strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. I think the "If the porch light is on we're giving out candy" system works well.
Seriously. I'll be darned if I'm going to post on next-door that I'm giving out candy. The kids the last two years are so lazy they won't even cross to my side of the street to get candy because there is no sidewalk. I've gone from having 100s of kids at my door to a couple dozen.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
Agreed! Although this did not stop an elementary school child from ringing my bell incessantly at 9pm until i answered and told him we were out of candy!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM

259 posts, read 243,314 times
Quote:
I feel comfortable reiterating that this is a reasonable option to the OP's request. The OP is in Sweden, not down the road and wanted to know what to expect. OP may find the feature useful or useless, but I have no idea, it depends on the neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Well, I'm in Chapel Hill and on Nextdoor and I see that only about 1/4 of my neighbors are on Nextdoor and no one has used the Treat Map, so I would not recommend that. I think it might give the wrong impression that neighbors aren't participating when they really are. There are lots of Halloween decorations up in my neighborhood and pretty much everybody gives out candy (at least 75% of my neighbors), but nobody has signed up for that Nextdoor feature. I would say it's worse than useless since it might give a false impression of non-participation.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-10-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary