Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there's an agreed-upon definition for McMansion.

I would say a large house that's out of scale with its lot and neighbors would be close. I would personally delineate tract-built home within this category. There are plenty of homes built in the last 10 years in Five Points for example that are much larger than their then-neighbors (in some blocks, most of which are now also larger homes). But the small house consume the entire side and front setbacks as well, so the bigger houses aren't out of scale to the lot.

A rich person that builds a very large custom house on a large lot ... now we're into semantics of the architecture. Which is fine, to the extent you use good technique/terms as the blogger does on her explanatory page. Is a Spanish-style house among Colonials a McMansion though? If you go back to the early 1900's, they co-existed peacefully. Are row after row of the "same" house (some HOA's require particular exterior finishes), are they McMansions? Is it a size requirement? 3,000 sqft? 4,000?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:40 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wonder if there's an agreed-upon definition for McMansion.

I would say a large house that's out of scale with its lot and neighbors would be close. I would personally delineate tract-built home within this category. There are plenty of homes built in the last 10 years in Five Points for example that are much larger than their then-neighbors (in some blocks, most of which are now also larger homes). But the small house consume the entire side and front setbacks as well, so the bigger houses aren't out of scale to the lot.

A rich person that builds a very large custom house on a large lot ... now we're into semantics of the architecture. Which is fine, to the extent you use good technique/terms as the blogger does on her explanatory page. Is a Spanish-style house among Colonials a McMansion though? If you go back to the early 1900's, they co-existed peacefully. Are row after row of the "same" house (some HOA's require particular exterior finishes), are they McMansions? Is it a size requirement? 3,000 sqft? 4,000?
The McMansion 101 links explain it relatively well and make it much less "cheeky" than the linked page does.

The blogger doesn't just take pictures of houses she finds "ugly" and call them McMansions...she actually has quite a few measurable/tangible criteria. The "Mansion vs McMansion" page of her blog does a pretty good job at explaining the question of distinction.

One critical feature that I would add to differentiate between the two....McMansions..by virtue of "the Mc" part...are mass-produced by tract-builders. Custom-designed homes can in theory occasionally be tacky and use cheap materials (though that is usually not the case) .....but they aren't mass-produced.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The McMansion 101 links explain it relatively well and make it much less "cheeky" than the linked page does.

The blogger doesn't just take pictures of houses she finds "ugly" and call them McMansions...she actually has quite a few measurable/tangible criteria. The "Mansion vs McMansion" page of her blog does a pretty good job at explaining the question of distinction.

One critical feature that I would add to differentiate between the two....McMansions..by virtue of "the Mc" part...are mass-produced by tract-builders. Custom-designed homes can in theory occasionally be tacky and use cheap materials (though that is usually not the case) .....but they aren't mass-produced.
Sooooo....

McMansion Hell, along with revealing other obvious major character faults, mislabels houses as "mass-produced," when they are not?

Interesting additional slant on the topic...

Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Because, I’d imagine most of those homes on her Wake County page were custom builds.

As far a the term in use by the masses, it’s virtually meaningless at this point and may as well just be “house bigger than mine that I don’t like for whatever reason.”

Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I tried to make clear in the original post that this was meant as humor. Not everything will amuse everyone, and maybe this isn't for you; that's why we talk about different people having different senses of humor. The pearl-clutching seems a bit rich, given the oceans of truly awful "humor" that could be plucked from elsewhere on the internet.

Most of the snarky posts (and there are also plenty of non-snarky posts!) feature interiors as well as exteriors; that's why MLS listing photos are more useful than Street View photos.

As a comparison: years ago, I chanced across James Lileks' books, in which he makes fun of generation-old mass-market interior decorating, recipes, manuals, etc. For instance, here's a send-up of a book published in 1971, which means that the copyright is valid through 2066, and the responsible parties are likely still alive today. It's pretty much the same format: a copyrighted photo, accompanied by snark. Indeed, Lileks' snark is even sharper. What kind of bright-line legal distinction can be drawn between what Lileks has been doing for years, and what Wagner is doing?

(Not to inject politics into this, but it's worth noting that Lileks writes for the National Review.)

No, she doesn't. (To be an "architect" requires licences, a battery of exams, etc.) She's a student in acoustical design.

This was the one that really jumped out at me. One of my household chores was to clear all that #$&*! pine straw out of the gutters, so I get irrationally anxious at the sight of 11 different roof planes that each has its own little gutter.

Well, you are sort of right.
To PRACTICE as a professional architect one needs to meet those criteria.
Anyone can call themselves an "architect."

But, I accept the clear implication of your comment, that she is neither adequately qualified nor accomplished enough to tear into others gratuitously.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I didn't read all zillion pages - I generally like snark and her blog. I accept that may make me a questionable person. Honestly I thought her funniest comment was about the pine needles.

I really liked house #10, to be honest.

Agree that it's not cool for her to do this for houses that are on sale. I'd be upset if I were the seller.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It's interesting that this thread got so much traction here and so many concerned for the homeowners. I saw that the N&O posted their story about it on facebook and it got a few comments and they were pretty much along the lines of, "yeah that's funny, those are ugly houses."

https://www.facebook.com/newsandobse...16322315047366

I think it's actually MORE fair to have it be houses that are for sale. They are selling a product (the house). They have put it on the market and it's out there for folks to look at and evaluate. I would be more annoyed if somebody grabbed a photo of my house that is not for sale off Google streetview or Zillow and proceeded to give it the snark treatment, but these are photos that are put out there to sell the product. Fair game if you ask me. I mean, seriously, could they not even cut the grass in that one photo??

Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I mean, seriously, could they not even cut the grass in that one photo??
I don't think the height of the grass is the owner's most pressing concern when the front doorway appears to be boarded over with plywood.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I don't think the height of the grass is the owner's most pressing concern when the front doorway appears to be boarded over with plywood.
Yeah, that too. Not sure how they expect to sell it looking like that!

Old 10-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's interesting that this thread got so much traction here and so many concerned for the homeowners. I saw that the N&O posted their story about it on facebook and it got a few comments and they were pretty much along the lines of, "yeah that's funny, those are ugly houses."

https://www.facebook.com/newsandobse...16322315047366

I think it's actually MORE fair to have it be houses that are for sale. They are selling a product (the house). They have put it on the market and it's out there for folks to look at and evaluate. I would be more annoyed if somebody grabbed a photo of my house that is not for sale off Google streetview or Zillow and proceeded to give it the snark treatment, but these are photos that are put out there to sell the product. Fair game if you ask me. I mean, seriously, could they not even cut the grass in that one photo??
There is an interesting foible in your position.

You say you would not like someone trashing your house when it is not on the market, but that it is OK to trash OTHER folks' houses when they are on the market so they can be hurt financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary