Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:04 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, for such a large place, the crime level isn't really high.

I get that maybe the percentage is higher than it used to be, but I would think larger areas also, generally, have larger percentages.
If you're going by percentages, what does population/area matter? 160k people is large for a suburb, so when they say Cary is one of the safest "cities" with population over 150k, they're often comparing to more urban cities, not suburbs. If you compare it to suburbs with similar demographics and similar distances to urban cores, I think it's higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What is the crime rate in Cary?

I keep hearing anecdotes but haven't seen the numbers.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Here is a list of 4 suburbs within 10-15 minutes of Boston, all bordering each other:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

These towns, demographics-wise, are probably pretty similar to Cary when all combined together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you're going by percentages, what does population/area matter? 160k people is large for a suburb, so when they say Cary is one of the safest "cities" with population over 150k, they're often comparing to more urban cities, not suburbs. If you compare it to suburbs with similar demographics and similar distances to urban cores, I think it's higher.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html
Are those suburbs as densely populated, though? Has growth in those been as rapid?

So many factors go into these rates, and looking at the 2016 data, only Holly Springs had a lower crime rate. Every other town in the Triangle on that list has a higher crime rate than Cary.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Are those suburbs as densely populated, though? Has growth in those been as rapid?
Some are, some aren't. But those stats are crimes per 100,000 people. If your point is that higher density invites more crime, maybe there's some truth to that.

It's Boston, so growth has been rampant since...a long time.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I really don't get the point of Stormcrow Crime Whine Threads.

Cary is very, very safe. The cops are good.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I really don't get the point of Stormcrow Crime Whine Threads.

Cary is very, very safe. The cops are good.
I don't think anyone said there was an issue with the police. I think the only possible issue is there isn't enough of them, and that's no fault of their own.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:12 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone said there was an issue with the police. I think the only possible issue is there isn't enough of them, and that's no fault of their own.
There's plenty of cops.
That is one reason Cary is so safe.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Safest with population over 150k yes. But a suburban town over 150k is relatively rare I think. Cary is geographically huge.

I could rattle off suburb after suburb in MA for example that are within 15 minutes of Boston, that have much lower crime rates.
Not to split hairs, but it really depends on what the reporting jurisdiction considers a "town". On Long Island, "towns" are huge and encompass "villages" and "hamlets". We moved here from the Town of Hempstead but we lived in a village within that town. Towns on LI will have several hundred thousand residents.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
An area can be burgled by someone who doesn't live in the town. 'Bad' people live in many places and have cars and will drive to commit their crimes.

Yes, and towns like Cary are a magnet for this kind of crime. Eventually the police learn which borders need the most patrolling and the people trying to cross said border give it up. TOC may be a little too slow on the uptake right now but they'll get there.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not to split hairs, but it really depends on what the reporting jurisdiction considers a "town". On Long Island, "towns" are huge and encompass "villages" and "hamlets". We moved here from the Town of Hempstead but we lived in a village within that town. Towns on LI will have several hundred thousand residents.
Point taken. That certainly makes things confusing when it comes to those "safest towns in the US" lists.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There's plenty of cops.
That is one reason Cary is so safe.
Mike, I'm sure the cops are good. However, I'll have to slightly disagree with you there. 95% of crime (good or bad) boils down to demographics, especially median income and employment #'s.

Cary has a high median income with a very low unemployment rate. It's no magic. Same for Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
More Cary Burglaries-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary