Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:16 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Now to guess if they use the pick and who they may select.
Or, if they will trade the pick as part of acquiring a veteran.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...ft/c-298310176
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:34 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
This year there's a big difference between picking second and picking third. Whichever of Dahlin and Svechnikov is taken by Buffalo, I suspect the Canes would be happy to take the other. Dahlin is called the Swedish Bobby Orr, and Svechnikov is a scoring machine at right wing. If the Canes had gotten the third pick, I think the chances of a trade would have been higher because there's a gap between the top two prospects and the others.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:02 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What did Ruff do with the Dallas Stars? Nothing.
Well, he did coach them to a couple of playoff berths. I agree he underachieved with that roster but it's more than what Muller and Peters did here.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
I am ecstatic beyond words about getting the #2 pick. It is the perfect pick for us too.

Buffalo will pick the defenseman Dahlin, whom they need and we will get (hopefully) the Russian winger Svechnikov who will be of great need for us. He's been compared to Patrik Laine of the Jets and Vladimir Tarasenko of the Blues among others. One scout says he could be as good as Alex Ovechkin.

We need scoring in the worst way, this won't solve all those issues immediately but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM

31 posts, read 34,272 times
Extremely happy about the #2 pick, did not see that coming. Svechnikov is a no brainer for the Canes, but knowing this org, they will "play it safe" and trade the pick for a Nugent-Hopkins, Josh Bailey and a 2nd. It's either that or they will trade it for a legit starting goalie whose career will come of the rails after his first game here. I kid , but the thought has crossed my mind.

As for Ruff, I would pass, he's been ineffective for several years now. We would get similar better results with an unknown I think. I would really prefer we get a GM first though.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
As much as I want the front office to spend a little coin and get some talent in Carolina, they absolutely should not trade the #2 pick for a vet player. Nor should they attempt to trade up to the #1 spot, as I've seen some articles suggest.

I could see a trade happening for a new goalie, but that would have to consist of someone on the current roster, not named Aho, included in the trade. Sign a top free-agent center and maybe bring in a vet defensive man and let's get the next season started, already.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM

Fired the Hall of Famer?
Weird sequence. Couldn't wait until the end of the season, so created a goofy "promotion," followed by firing Ron F. a second time.
New ownership dang well better deliver...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...ct/c-298349124

Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Outside the initial promotions on the fan friendly side. I'm finding the way Dundon handles things troubling. In one breath says he will bring in the right people and spend money to win. Next minute, multiple sources are saying he is unwilling to pay the market rate for a GM and has had every candidate of note take their name out of consideration. It's obvious something is going on that he is not saying, but it gives the knowledgeable little confidence in his process.

At this point I'm convinced this search is all a charade. Dundon will come out and say we looked high and low and could not find the right candidate. But, *suprise* lucky for us the best guys were already here and the GM will be Waddell/Velucchi and Head Coach will be Velucchi/Brindy. Basically the same flavor of vanilla we have been fed for years, but now we get a discount version of it.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZA View Post
Outside the initial promotions on the fan friendly side. I'm finding the way Dundon handles things troubling. In one breath says he will bring in the right people and spend money to win. Next minute, multiple sources are saying he is unwilling to pay the market rate for a GM and has had every candidate of note take their name out of consideration. It's obvious something is going on that he is not saying, but it gives the knowledgeable little confidence in his process.

At this point I'm convinced this search is all a charade. Dundon will come out and say we looked high and low and could not find the right candidate. But, *suprise* lucky for us the best guys were already here and the GM will be Waddell/Velucchi and Head Coach will be Velucchi/Brindy. Basically the same flavor of vanilla we have been fed for years, but now we get a discount version of it.
"I'm finding the way Dundon handles things troubling."
Yup.
And, just wait until he petitions the league to move the team one day, after sticking his finger in every eye around...

I'm in for season tix next year, to root for the players and the team, but really a bit unsettled about management at this point.

If JVR and Tavares hit the free agent market and he doesn't take a hard run at signing at least one of them, well, yeah, he might be a piker.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-01-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 AM

The next year will be telling, he has an option to sell after 3 years and may look to "flip it". Considering the hype in Vegas and the big money spent to buy the franchise, he could probably get a big return on his "turnkey" operation. Someone who plans to stick around wouldn't be burning bridges and moving so carelessly. Like you, I will be there for the team, but the organization makes it harder and harder by the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary